Meet the Members of SCI.....BigDog

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meet the Members of SCI.....BigDog

Hello folks. We at SCI take pride in that our site reaches slot racers all around the globe. I would like to introduce you to BigDog who hails from Brasil. So BigDog, you are now in the spotlight. We'll try to go easy on you.....at first

1) What is the slot car scene like in Brasil? Also, please tell us the area you live in and where "The Warehouse" is located.

2) What is the history of how the Warehouse and the track came about? Pics would be most welcome

3) What can you tell us about your club members? Who is the funniest person in the club? Who takes slot racing too seriously?

4) What are your favorite style of cars to race? If you could plan either a national race or an international race with only 1 style of car, how would you set up the race rules and regulations?

5) A man walks up to you on the street and offers you 2 sets of tickets. One set is for the Brasilian F1 Grand Prix and the other set is for the World Cup Finals (and Brasil is in the finals.) Which tickets do you take if both events where on the same day and started at the same time?

6) Porsche or Ferrari? Plastic or wood? Magnets or no-magnets?

7) There are several wonderful road course tracks in Brasil. Which 1:1 track is your personal favorite?

8) Describe the national feelings in Brasil when Ayrton Senna passed away. I want everyone to get a sense of how important Senna was to the Brasilian people.

9)Tell us alittle about your slot car racing experiences? Any wins? Any crashes that were too funny?

10) Tell everyone what "Pinga" is if you will. I know what it is and what it really means when translated, however, I would rather you describe this wonderful concoction to everyone.

Thanks BigDog!!!!

Originally posted by rolltidevet
    "Hello folks. We at SCI take pride in that our site reaches slot racers all around the globe. I would like to introduce you to BigDog who hails from Brasil. So BigDog, you are now in the spotlight. We'll try to go easy on you.....at first

1) What is the slot car scene like in Brasil? Also, please tell us the area you live in and where "The Warehouse" is located. ..."
    Hello Guys,

First of all let me say how flattered I am that I've been chosen to take part in one of Lawrence's interviews here at SCI: there are loads of people here who certainly deserve to be put in the spotlight prior to me, be it by their profound slot knowledge, or just by seniority - I'm a newb compared to most of you guys. But being that he told me that I would be helping him doing so, here I am...

1) I live in the Southern portion of the Country, in a 280 thou inhabitants city called Foz do Iguaçu - see the little light green blob on the map, on the third state, in the South-North direction...

So we're kinda far from the big cities where you can still find some slot activities, but mostly with flexi cars, womps and wing cars, almost all in 1/24. Scale slot cars are not at all popular around here - we hope that changes with time...

The Warehouse Track was built, as it's name states, in an old warehouse that was being used as a waste depot at our condo. This is what it looked like at first:

But at least it is right by the condo's pool, which gives us a great surrounding...

BTW, if any of you guys are interested in the full story of the Warehouse Track, just click here and you'll see how a bunch of total newbs built their first wooden track with the help of SCI members.

This ends question one.

Cheers!
    BigDog

Comment

Originally posted by Lawrence
      2) What is the history of how the Warehouse and the track came about? Pics would be most welcome

3) What can you tell us about your club members? Who is the funniest person in the club? Who takes slot racing too seriously?
      Well the story behind the Warehouse is one of teamworking people who decided to try out a brand new hobby (for us, at least) and were helped by a bunch of knowledgeable and generous slotters all over the world. We had Lufs help, as well as TOJ's (what would we do without him?!) and Alan and so many others whose names unforgivingly I can't remember at this moment.

This is how the Warehouse was born (how I saw it in my head...)

And this is how the placed looked as we started routing...

We had some tech help....

And after a few discussions with the boyz, it did come out a little different...

Financially speaking, the track cost us about US$ 1.5 thou total. The money came from some 11 guys - each donating whatever he felt like.

At this time we have some 6 members who are passionate about their little cars and some other 6 that almost always show up at the races. Most of them are joyful and love picking on each other. I really couldn't tell you who is the funniest of them, although some are very inspired on certain nights, I'll admit to that! The one who takes things a bit too serious is Jaime:

He has the biggest collection of slot cars and parts and is always trying to set the fastest lap record. But he is beginning to get the spirit now and, although he still gets pretty mad when his cars don't work right on racing nights, at least he doesn't swear that much anymore...

Well now, that's 3 answers outta 10.... seven to go!

Cheers!
      BigDog

Comment

Another batch...

4) What are your favorite style of cars to race? If you could plan either a national race or an international race with only 1 style of car, how would you set up the race rules and regulations?
        I like all kinds of racing, but sport/prototypes make my day. If I could set up a race it would be 1/32 CanAm hard plastic bodies and everything else goes, except for foam tires.

5) A man walks up to you on the street and offers you 2 sets of tickets. One set is for the Brasilian F1 Grand Prix and the other set is for the World Cup Finals (and Brasil is in the finals.) Which tickets do you take if both events where on the same day and started at the same time?
        To tell the truth, neither of them rock my boat: Brazilian soccer is going downslope (between pride for their country and big bucks, today's players will choose the latter...) and F1 is sooooooo boring these days! Now, if you offer me tickets for whatever MotoGP or SBK event, I'd gladly accept!!!

6) Porsche or Ferrari? Plastic or wood? Magnets or no-magnets?
        On the Porsche or Ferrari thing, I'll always choose the one that's the underdog at the time. I prefer wood, for the freedom of design and track smoothness and I'm all for non-mag racing.

7) There are several wonderful road course tracks in Brasil. Which 1:1 track is your personal favorite?
        IMO, Interlagos is still the most demanding and pleasurable track to race on - I've only once raced there (DNF).

Cheers!
        BigDog

Comment

Last but not the least...

8) Describe the national feelings in Brasil when Ayrton Senna passed away. I want everyone to get a sense of how important Senna was to the Brasilian people.
          That May 1st 1994 Brazil stopped. I was a tragic day for Brazilians. You must understand that the Country was going through some very rough times, with inflation reaching two digits and other kinds of hardships afflicting it's people. Sunday mornings were when everyone had their eyes glued to the box to try and take pride on something about their country. And suddenly it just stopped on that turn in Imola. And everyone knew they'd no longer have that Sunday morning joy.

It must be said that Senna was very popular and a great benefactor for the poor: he started a foundation called Instituto Airton Senna which helps homeless or economically challenged kids to find a way in life. His sister Viviane is it's manager these days. Although being more of a Piquet fan than a Senna fan, I must reckognize that he was one of the world's greatest drivers of all times... I miss him too.

9)Tell us a little about your slot car racing experiences? Any wins? Any crashes that were too funny?
          I started playing with the little cars like most of you, in the sixties. I can't really remember which was my first slot car, but it was one these two: deep red Cox Cheetah, or a blue Monogram Lola 70 spyder, both 1/24. I was 12 years old, so they both seemed very nice to me - they were smooooth and fast! I lost track of slot cars till 1976, when I started racing what I think you guys call flexi cars, with mura motors. I even made it to the final race at the Nationals. Then came the winged wonders and I just let everything drop, till I crossed a slot site on the net, about 3 years ago. At the beginning of 2006 I found SCI and the quest for the new hobby began... My funniest crash happened on the track we used to hang around in Brasília: after a small nerfing my car was launched from the elevated turn, flew some 3 meters in the air, hit the bathroom door which was ajar and fell in the toilet bowl. Thank god it was a clean place...

10) Tell everyone what "Pinga" is if you will. I know what it is and what it really means when translated, however, I would rather you describe this wonderful concoction to everyone.
          I'd guessed that most of the guys here would already know what Pinga is, for the "caipirinha" has become quite a popular drink in the States. Anywhat, pinga is a distilled beverage made from sugar-cane, and a very strong one at that! Says the story that while in the process of making sugar in the old days (when there were still slaves around...) some of the produce (or leftovers, I really don't know) went through the process of fermentation and the vapours went up to the ceiling where, at night, they condensed on the cold tiles and fell back down as drops on the people below. Once they tried it, they got the hang of it and called it "pinga" which comes from the verb "pingar" which means "to drop". It could be translated into "that which drops". The real name of this beverage is cachaça, which is pronounced "kahshassa". Mixed with sugar, lemon and a lotta ice it becomes the "caipirinha", a very popular drink around here.

Well, that's it! Hope you guys enjoy!

Cheers!
          BigDog

Comment

Most interesting Big Dog!
            I've enjoyed your postings on SCI a lot - glad you found your way here.
            I'm mighty jealous of your track and all that space you guys have to play in - what a great set up.

You mentioned that you started out with 1/24th scale cars - I'm assuming that was at a commercial place. Just wondering, how big is the commercial slot business in Brazil or did it fade away in the 60's too?

Comment

Well...

Hi B52RN,

Thanks for your interest. We also enjoy the Warehouse a lot, but unfortunately we've got just 10-12 people involved in the championships, outta some 1000 that actually live here at the condo... Anyways, it could be worse, "it could be raining".

I'm not really up to date with Brazilian slot car racing, all I know is that there are still some commercial tracks/shops in the big cities (Rio de Janeiro, Belo Horizonte, Brasília, São Paulo, Curitiba, etc.) and that there is still a national championship. The guys race mostly metal chassis and vac formed bodies and winged cars. I'm not sure, but it seems that there are still races in the G7, G27 and G20 Classes as well as in Open Class. Not really sure... But as you state, slot racing did pretty much fade away in the '70s...

But anyway, as for scale slot racing, things are still crawling around here, with very few tracks or shops that I know of and not a lot of followers. Cars and parts are very expensive due to import taxes which makes things even harder for those that choose this form of slot racing as a hobby.

Sorry for not being able to give you "harder" info...

Cheers!
              BigDog

Comment

This website is a little out of date but it gives some insight into the commercial slot scene in Brasil.

http://www2.uol.com.br/slotcarbrasil/

Next time GuGu visits Chicago I will ask him if he knows any better web sites.

Last edited by MG Brown; 03-04-2008, 11:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BigDog View Post
                  ...My funniest crash happened on the track we used to hang around in Brasília: after a small nerfing my car was launched from the elevated turn, flew some 3 meters in the air, hit the bathroom door which was ajar and fell in the toilet bowl. Thank god it was a clean place... ...
                  OMFG!

Comment

Senor BigDog, what a great choice for an SCI Member interview!

You sure bring a lot to this place, with your enthusiasm and good humour.
                    Now, how about a picture of yourself, and maybe some of the local scenery?

Comment

"In th toilet".....I knew BigDog would have something funny to say but that cannot be beat .

T really want to thank BigDog for responding to my questions. To tell on him, he has had a bit of a tough family tragedy lately (which I will let him expand on) but he has still taken the time to answer these questions with his usual grace and style. He and I lately have been "talking" by PM a lot recently and I must say what a delightful person to talk with. Now, I MUST plan a trip so I can meet this fine person. Perhaps a small group of us could consider a trip, share expenses, meet BigDog and enjoy the ever-famous Brasilian hospitality.

I have several Brasilian friends in Birmingham,AL and let me tell you something: they will do anything possible for you should you ever find yourself in a bind. Brasilians are truly wonderful hosts and seem to love company.....and Pinga. Trust me, Pinga will knock you on your a**. Solange Ribeiro, one of my good friends and a fellow Alabama Crimson Tide fan, began mixing Pingas about 5 years ago during a tailgate party. She laughed and laughed at our drunk a**es.

NOW BIGDOG, About this Interlagos thing!!!!!! Please tell us about your 1:1 racing experiences. I had no idea you had raced. And pics if you have any!!!!

KIITS and ALL MY HEART FELT THANKS,
                      Lawrence

Comment

Thanx for dropping by...

Hi Guys,

Very nice of you to drop in a line. In truth I'm going thru some difficult times, which of course has it's effects on what I write here. I'm on a 2 months leave from work due to what is commonly known as "depression". I've been having a hard time since August last year and things really got sour when I lost my sister-in-law about three weeks ago. She was a very good friend of mine!

She was a beautiful person outside, and inside too. Guess that's what toppled me over the "edge"; now I've got "meself" a shrink. I really wasn't going to bother the Board with my grief, but Lawrence thought I should mention it, so...

My 1:1 experience resumes itself to racing what in EU was known as a Opel Reckord (see the pic below) in what was called Divisão 1 (Division One) during one year. I raced in the "Central-West Challenge" which ran exclusively on two tracks: Brasília and Goiânia. It was only seven or eight races, if I can recall. Didn't do too bad: finished 8th outta 19 contestants. Even got a first row in the third race in Goiânia! The cars were in the 280hp range and had almost no brakes; it was a rush!!!

All my personal memmorabilia was lost in a fire that struck the fraternity I was living at in the city where I was going to College (Uberaba/Minas Gerais State). I lost absolutely everything I had in that fire (clothes, furniture, documents, pics, letters, 450 LPs (!!!), sound equipment, etc.) - some sad bloke fell asleep with a lit cigarette in his hand after one of those big fraternity parties... But don't say nothing bad about smokers, 'cause I'm a smoker too!!!

MG Brown: I do sometimes look that site up, but it is definately not updated as it should be. I just catch some talk about slot cars at orkut.com, Brazilian communities... but that's not so good either.

Thanx for your effort to put me up, WCR: I appreciate it! I'll see if I can find some decent pics to send you guys...

Dr. V: since your generous effort to get me in the 2007 GPR, you've become a valued friend!

Cheers!
                        BigDog
                        Last edited by BigDog; 03-04-2008, 06:48 PM. Reason: included a pic.

Comment

Good Morning BigDog,

You mean a lot to all of us here at SCI and I know I am certainly concerned for you and hope that in some small way the SCI community can help you through these difficult times. You have a very bright spirit though it might not seem that way to you now. But we are all here for you. Thank you for sharing your stories.

Cool story about your 1:1 racing experiences. And a great photo too.

Ciao my friend,
                          Lawrence

Comment

Thanks for sharing, Big Dog, I hope you feel better. Go take a long ride on the Bandit!

Comment

I am glad you joined SCI, BigDog, and I always appreciate your comments and your even-tempered, humorous way. I am sorry for your loss. Hang in there! We are all in this together, although some of us leave sooner than others.

Comment

Working...
                              X