X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rolltidevet
    started a topic MEET the MEMBERS of SCI - 356speedster

MEET the MEMBERS of SCI - 356speedster

Welcome to the hot seat 356 speedster. Here is your chance to tell us more about yourself and your racing experiences. So here goes.....

1) 356speedster.......where did you come up with your screen name?

2) Tell us about the slot car racing scene in Norway. Is it a major hobby or more of an underground movement?

3) Which of the 1:1 cars interests you the most? Have you had any 1:1 racing experience?

4) What is your favorite class of cars to race in 1:32 scale? WHat is your least favorite class?

5) Plastic or wood? Magents or non-magnets? Ice Hockey or Curling?

6) DO you have a track at your home or do you race at a club? How about posting some pictures of your track?

7) Imagine this: you must sell your 4 most favorite slot cars. Which 4 would you be forced to sell and what regrets would you have about losing these cars.

8) By now, you have senn previews of cars yet to be released this year. What release are you loking forward to the most? Why are you looking forward to that cars' release?

9) Slot.It or Ninco? Carrera or Scalextric? Fly or Spirit? Racer or Le Mans Miniatures?

10) Of the cars that have yet to be modeled into 1:32 slot cars, what car would you lke to see modelled next??

Have fun my friend. And be prepared for more questions form our fellow members

KIITS,
    Lawrence

• BigDog
    replied
    Nice to make your acquaintance...

Hi 356speedster,

Yes, you've made a good choice of a moniker: I also like that little "tank" a lot! Other than being a stretched out VW Beetle, let's not forget that it's the work of Ferdinand Porsche, which says a lot by itself - and the it had quite some stamina in it's days. I drove one in very good conditons when I lived in Venezuela and loved the thing! They are almost inexistent here in Brazil...

Learned a lot about the 924 and the 928 from your posts, and I'd sure like to have one of latter as I just loooove the beat of a V8 (even more than that of a V12!). My bro had a 924, but I never had the opportunity to drive it as he was living in another continent at the time.

You're track ideas are really revolutionary for my standards, but also very interesting, as you can have a wide variety of tracks to run on. Wood will definately make you happy (yes, I'm biased as I never ran on a plastic track).

Thanx for sharing your story with us and keep this hobby alive in Norway: that's to be your mission in life!

Cheers!
    BigDog

Originally posted by Tangmere222
    "Flatter lakes and ponds? "
    I thought you were gonna get away with that one Paul... nice try" HOHOHOHOHO!!!

Leave a comment:

• John Schoen
    replied
    I moved from a regular house to an apartment on the 12th floor to prevent wet feet.
    The sealevels aren't rising fast enough to be a concern for the near future. The dykes were built high enough so we'll be safe for at least a couple of centuries. Regular maintenance is enough to prevent disasters.

Leave a comment:

• Robert Livingston
    replied
    What is Holland doing about rising sea levels?

Leave a comment:

• Wet Coast Racer
    replied
    Absolutely right there, Van. Many people don't know this, but Schipol means "ship's graveyard". And if I may boer you all a little further with trivia that has about as much to do with Norway as the Monty Python dead parrot skit (well, less actually), there are a sufficient number of car crashes where drivers lose control, slide off the dyke, and end up sinking into the ditch, that they actually have training courses in how to get out of your vehicle without panicking if this happens.

Leave a comment:

• dr vanski
    replied
    Holland is very flat, and below sea level.

Leave a comment:

• Tangmere222
    replied
    Originally posted by Wet Coast Racer View Post
    Just because, I looked up the history of curling today. Indeed, the Scots seem to have originated the hobby about five hundred years back; though the Dutch were not far behind. You would have expected them to do better with it really, due to the flatter lakes and ponds you find there.
    Flatter lakes and ponds?

Leave a comment:

• Ragnar
    replied
    356 Your answers were very interesting. I owned two 356s in my younger days, I really enjoyed those two cars.

Tom

Leave a comment:

• bluetoes591
    replied
    Yes, curling is a hoot. I need to try doing that again, been years... Watching on TV becomes more interesting once you've tried curling. Suddenly it all begins to make sense and you can't stop watching.

Leave a comment:

• Wet Coast Racer
    replied
    Just because, I looked up the history of curling today. Indeed, the Scots seem to have originated the hobby about five hundred years back; though the Dutch were not far behind. You would have expected them to do better with it really, due to the flatter lakes and ponds you find there.

Although the Norwegians and Swedes have had their moments, we Canadians pretty much rule when it comes to curling these days.

Watching curling on TV is about as exciting as watching golf on TV. But believe it or not, it's actually a lot of fun to play.

Of course, I like Bocci too.

We now return you to our regularly scheduled programming.

Leave a comment:

• 356speedster
    replied
    Originally posted by rolltidevet View Post
    ...CURLING? Most of us in the US watch it during the Olympics late at night...
    Well that's about how I watched it too, there has been some close fights between the Norwegian and Canadian teams in the past Olympics. Other than that I don't know much about Curling.

I haven't been very active in sports, except a few years of training boxing during high school, and some fun years competing in archery when I was a teenager. But I broke my legs in the downhill ski-slopes, and while recovering I discovered other "activities" and that was the end of any sporting careerer.

If you are digging into to the 911 racing history you got your hands full for a while. I had some fun researching when the first wide flared 911's raced in one of the CPR09 threads.

Nice that you like the layouts. The "wood layouts" are early sketches, I have put a lot more work into the layouts for the Scalextric track. And one thing I have learned is that a layout that looks good on paper doesn't automatically transfer to a good layout to drive on. It's very difficult to predict how a car behaves through a combination of turns, and parabolic turns sometimes end up being better to drive in the other direction than intended.

Leave a comment:

• attic_racer
    replied
    Curling is Scottish not Scandinavian. My guess is the highlands were too frozen for golf and some kilt clad dude stated sliding big rocks down the pond...

Leave a comment:

• rolltidevet
    replied
    Awesome answers 356!!!! Totally unexpected in a great way!!!!. Your track designs are incredible. We both love Porsches, although I know only the history of the 956/962 prototypes and am learning about the 911's and all of their iterations through the 997.

But I gotta ask a question: CURLING? Most of us in the US watch it during the olympics late at night. Did curling originate from Bocci Ball? Speed skating and skiing I can understand, butcurling................... . We want answers dude!!

KIITS,
    Lawrence

Leave a comment:

• attic_racer
    replied
    I've seen that track. The BSLT concept looks really good to me and the Spa track is nothing short of stunning!

Leave a comment:

• 356speedster
    replied
    I've got different sketches of the large track, here is another one. But I need to rebuild my basement to get the space, so it won't happen soon.

But also take a look at this cool Belgian track with very nice racing lines and Scorpious wireless digital. This really opens up for a lot of cool track ideas.

[YOUTUBE]rKzo2Wyllqo[/YOUTUBE]

Leave a comment:

Working...
X