No announcement yet.

Meet the Members of SCI...El Secundo

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting read, Kurt. Thanks for sharing some of your insights and experience.

Comment

Blair, I don't know if I have any particular wisdom for newbies, but I would suggest:

1) Try everything. What you like today you may not like tomorrow, and the only way to find out is to try it.

2) Appreciate the cars for what they are. Some will be better than others, and some will completely suck out of the box. Understanding this will save you a lot of aggravation. Work with them and get to know them before running out and buying spare parts.

3) Have fun! Don't let competition (or anything else) get in the way of the fun. If slot cars start to stress you out, you might be doing something wrong.

4) Whatever you do, find somebody to share this hobby with. As long as there's at least one other person involved, there's always a chance that you're not the biggest idiot around for playing with toy cars. Seriously, adding a second person triples the fun, and adding a third person multiplies the fun by at least 4.6. A fourth person makes it 5.35 times more fun. No, really.

Comment

Originally posted by ElSecundo View Post
        Seriously, adding a second person triples the fun,
        That could not be more true. I spent Sunday evening at domer's place, and we kept having de-slots that left the cars looking like that wreck from the movie "LeMans". And it kept happening over and over, and each time it happened was more hysterical than the last. By the end of the night, we were cracking up more than we were driving, but we still did a fair amount of driving.

Comment

Blair, I don't know if I have any particular wisdom for newbies, but I would suggest:

1) Try everything. What you like today you may not like tomorrow, and the only way to find out is to try it.

2) Appreciate the cars for what they are. Some will be better than others, and some will completely suck out of the box. Understanding this will save you a lot of aggravation. Work with them and get to know them before running out and buying spare parts.

3) Have fun! Don't let competition (or anything else) get in the way of the fun. If slot cars start to stress you out, you might be doing something wrong.

4) Whatever you do, find somebody to share this hobby with. As long as there's at least one other person involved, there's always a chance that you're not the biggest idiot around for playing with toy cars. Seriously, adding a second person triples the fun, and adding a third person multiplies the fun by at least 4.6. A fourth person makes it 5.35 times more fun. No, really.
          Thanks, wise words. I especially appreciated #3 and #4. I got into this hobby mostly for the social aspect (oh, and the cars didn't look too bad as well ). If playing with model cars ever looses its fun, I know I need to get out.......

Comment

Originally posted by Blair M View Post
            I got into this hobby mostly for the social aspect (oh, and the cars didn't look too bad as well ).
            You know, that's not why I got into it, but that's become the main reason for doing it.
            We have a very diverse bunch of guys, and they all have some pretty unique personalities. Some of the wives get involved, too. I mean, somebody has to be there to call BS, right?

Comment

Wow. That name actually goes back almost 20 years, but when I first got into slot cars 5 years ago, that was the name I used on Slot Car Garage when I was spending all my time on the RadTrax web site.
              Do you actually remember that, or did somebody tip you off?
              I remember, Slot Car Garage was one of the first sites I found when I first started about 5 years ago, also.

Comment

Kurt,
                Me and my boss both are basement racers in Indianapolis, well I live in Brownsburg, but,you get my location. I was wondering if you could pm me or post information on your club(s). We would really like to come down to Louisville and do some racing sometime. Neither one of us are very serious racers. We just enjoy racing and meeting others who enjoy this hobby. Thanks Sideways.

Comment

Originally posted by Sideways View Post
                  Neither one of us are very serious racers. We just enjoy racing and meeting others who enjoy this hobby. Thanks Sideways.
                  I'm pretty sure you will love the group Kurt is a part of!

Comment

Originally posted by Sideways View Post
                    Kurt,
                    Me and my boss both are basement racers in Indianapolis, well I live in Brownsburg, but,you get my location. I was wondering if you could pm me or post information on your club(s). We would really like to come down to Louisville and do some racing sometime. Neither one of us are very serious racers. We just enjoy racing and meeting others who enjoy this hobby. Thanks Sideways.
                    Hey Sideways, our club website is www.derbycityspeedway.com. We list our locations and contact information there, and you and the boss (and any wives/girlfriends) are definitely welcome to come down and visit!

It's twice a week for us, Thursday nights and Saturday evenings. My phone number is on there, too, so if you want to yap, just give me a yell.

The last time we ran a race in our club was over 4 years ago, so you don't have to worry about prepping cars for class racing or anything. We're about as low stress as it gets.

Comment

Good read!

Thank you Kurt and Lawrence for this cool interview: it was not only entertaining but enlightning in some aspects - well, what could we expect from a guy like ElSec, eh?!

Maybe the best advice you gave was about enjoying the hobby in all of it's forms. As you know, we only have one track to run at so, to get people involved we had to create a championship. Don't get me wrong, it's cool to have races, but the thing is that everyone wants to be faster then the next guy and this has taken us away from what is being called "scale speed" on another thread. I mean, we are having a lotta fun driving at the Warehouse, but if we could have another, smaller track maybe we'd be having more fun...

It's great to know more about someone who is so involved with the hobby and "spreading the word" to others! BTW, I rarely miss your posts...

Slot on Kurt - you have a pal in Brazil!
                      Fernão

Comment

It brings back memories of when I was hooked on the hobby some 40 years ago. I was obviously a dedicated racer that was not afraid to tear a perfectly good car apart, just to see if I could make it run better. Now I take a good running car and take the body off to clean some debri out of the wheel wells and it runs like crap. Can't figure.

Comment

Meeting El

El, Somehow I missed this originally and ran across it while looking for something else!

Entertaining and fun!

Comment

This was true back in '08 and is true today. Kurt's points should be posted at the top of every page on SCI. Life is too short and stressful as it is, we're playing with toy cars and last I checked, nobody retired with millions from being a professional slot car racer/player.

Comment

Working...
                            X