New guy from Quebec, Canada

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New guy from Quebec, Canada

Hey, my name is Sylvain and i'm completely new to this slot car fun even though i'm 28. I'm a truck driver and a married man with a 2 years old son who's crazy about everything that has 4 wheels or more like is dad! In my free time, i modify my soon to be race prep 1996 Toyota Tercel and go to the local track for some Auto-X/lapping... But, now i can also say that i've become a slot car junkie!!!

All i can say is: RACING TIME!!!!

Last week i got my hand on 2 sets of "figure 8" Speedtrax from Artin for 4$. One is old with 2 Porche 930 and one set is brand new with 2 "stock cars".

I decided to mate them together to built a more bigger track.

Here's a couple of pictures!

The red 930 is my favorite... the car handles great and stick to the track like crazy. So i decided to mod it a bit...

I removed the pelling decals, cleaned the tires and moved the rear axle to the passenger side. This enables me to take on the last corner at full speed on lane 1 without skidding!

Notice the axle shift.

So yeah, it's lots of fun... but it's already not enough!

I want to build a huge wooden 3 lane 2-way digital track with computer lap counter & time, sector times, speed sensors and full scenery.

So that's it for now... i got alot to read on this forum to get this project moving. I'll be asking question later...

... sorry, it's not true... i got 2 questions for starters:

1. Is there anybody on this forum from Quebec in Canada or really close to the border of Quebec near Montreal?

2. I know it must sound stupid, but is there a Toyota Tercel slot car or i'll have to create one?

Thanks!

Hi,

I'm from Momtreal, watching game 5 of the Habs vs Caps game (habs up 2-1! Go habs). I live in Pointe Claire. I had an HO track when I was 8. I'm now 40, last Christmas I put up a 10$ Artin clone track that I got at a garage sale and the bug got me again.

Since Christmas I have convinced my wife to give me half the basement for an 8x12 track. She said under the condition that we fix up the basement. No prob! So we spent 2 months re-cementing and repainting it. I now have three 4x8 tables and just finished the artificial grass (home made dyed saw dust) and now ready to make the track!

Since Christmas I have bought about 10 cars on Ebay, routed 40 ft of straights in MDF. I hope to have the track up soon! Picks coming soon!

Go Habs!

PS. There is no 1/43 Tercel slot car but I got a couple of Celicas in the mail last week

Comment

Originally posted by asbfly View Post
      Hi,

I'm from Momtreal, watching game 5 of the Habs vs Caps game (habs up 2-1! Go habs). I live in Pointe Claire. I had an HO track when I was 8. I'm now 40, last Christmas I put up a 10$ Artin clone track that I got at a garage sale and the bug got me again.

Since Christmas I have convinced my wife to give me half the basement for an 8x12 track. She said under the condition that we fix up the basement. No prob! So we spent 2 months re-cementing and repainting it. I now have three 4x8 tables and just finished the artificial grass (home made dyed saw dust) and now ready to make the track!

Since Christmas I have bought about 10 cars on Ebay, routed 40 ft of straights in MDF. I hope to have the track up soon! Picks coming soon!

Go Habs!

PS. There is no 1/43 Tercel slot car but I got a couple of Celicas in the mail last week

Hey, nice to hear that someone is close to me (i live near Oka on the north shore of montreal... 30mins by car). What scale are you looking/building at? About the tercel, i was looking at any size... 1/32 would be best since i plan on building my own wooden track. My wife wasn't hard to convice to give me the basement since it is already my "office", she got nice artistic skills and she asked me if she could help me on the scenery!

By the way, do you know if there's a club or a good store in the 514-450 area? And, do you speak french?
      I write better that i speak in english and i speak better than i write in french!!!

I'm happy, because today i made the first step towards my future track... i bought my first router!

It was on sale at 45% off... paid 110$ instead of 200$ at Canadian Tire!

Now, i got to confirm my track idea with my artistic director (wife)... i was thinking about the Trois-Rivieres Grand Prix track setup and realistic scenery.

It's a street track setup with lots of tight corners, walls all around and some elevations. Here's a video showing you a bit how the track sits...

http://www.streetfire.net/video/gp3r...ing_178286.htm

I'm looking at a 1/32 scale with 3 lanes... i got to get a better plan to be sure it's up to scale and me & wife are gonna go walk on the actual track this summer to take lots of pics. I know it's not gonna be perfectly alike, but it's gonna be close.

I only got one thing that bugs me down... right now, i'm renting a house and eventually i'll have to move out to my own house (i hope ), so i have to build a modular track that will allow me to move it with me... that would break my heart to have to destroy my setup if i can't get it out of the basement.

Well, Over and Out!!!

Comment

Small update...

My artistic director (wife) and I decided to build the Mont-Tremblant Circuit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circuit_Mont-Tremblant

It's historic and it's one of the most challenging and technical track in north america.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48iIuqr1p3Y&feature=PlayList&p=53323D45FA6 A2738&playnext_from=PL&index=105"]YouTube- Formula 1 1970 Canadian Grand Prix Circuit Mont Tremblant[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnuSyhOcqIY&feature=related"]YouTube- Race Start - Mont-Tremblant Spring Classic 09[/ame]

Now, i have to decide if i build the north loop or the south loop... i don't have enough room for the whole track. When i'll move out of this house in a couple of years, i'll be sure to get enough room in the new one to build the whole thing.

So, i got to clean-up the basement, free-up some space and draw my track accordingly to the measurement i get.

Keep you guys posted!

Comment

Hey guys,

Good to hear about a couple more slotters in the neighborhood. I'm sending a PM to each of you.

Old23

Comment

Working...
          X