Policar track-update

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Policar track-update

Some information from our friends at Policar (Slot It) about their upcoming new track that will be available this year.
    They are working to finalize the track surface and it's expected that will happen within the next few weeks. Once that's done we (Scalextric USA) will be working with them on a pricelist, and they expect deliveries this summer will happen. This year there will be 8-lanes available.

Do you imagine that this track will be less flimsy compared to Scalextric Sport track? Also, what is the lane spacing ?

Nice to see this industry going in a forward direction.

Many thanks.....Bob

Comment

The track is hard plastic.

Comment

90mm or 3.5" lane spacing and Maurizio's confirmed a Ninco-Policar adapter piece.

Comment

will it be compatible with the old polistil/policar track ?

Comment

Any updates?

Comment

Has the three lane track been scrapped? I know you have to start somewhere, just wondering.

Comment

Originally posted by JDR View Post
                Has the three lane track been scrapped? I know you have to start somewhere, just wondering.

Three lane would've been the way to go. As is doesn't seem to be much differentiation.

Comment

Originally posted by tlbrace View Post
                  Three lane would've been the way to go. As is doesn't seem to be much differentiation.
                  I agree whole heartedly. Why go to all the trouble to build a slightly narrower Carrera track when you could offer something different? With Carrera track so well established, a "me too" copy isn't going to set the market place on fire. This is even more puzzling from Slot.it, a company that continues to lead the serious slot market for almost 15 years. I expected more from them.

The question now is: What is the difference between a slot and a rut?
                  Last edited by JDR; 09-12-2018, 05:04 AM.

Comment

Is it really THAT cold in the North Carolina mountains?

I hope you don't cause a bad storm
                    Last edited by silverhelmet; 09-13-2018, 12:40 PM. Reason: sp

Comment

I think you miss the point entirely

Originally posted by JDR View Post
                      I agree whole heartedly. Why go to all the trouble to build a slightly narrower Carrera track when you could offer something different? With Carrera track so well established, a "me too" copy isn't going to set the market place on fire. This is even more puzzling from Slot.it, a company that continues to lead the serious slot market for almost 15 years. I expected more from them.

The question now is: What is the difference between a slot and a rut?
                      The reasons Slot.it are creating a track system are many and varied.
                      1) The majority of the world slot market is in Europe, USA accounts for a single digit percentage of that market, and even less of track market; given that a lot of USA hobby racing is on wood not plastic. Therefore any experience you have, is unrelated to their main thrust into the home and clubs markets
                      2) It is not a "slightly narrower Carrera" It does share some characteristics, such as hard plastic, but it takes more from Ninco track which is the go-to product at present for club and major meet racing.
                      3) They have combined the best characteristics of several track systems, re-introduced others - like the "square connectivity" - where a half straight is square, making partial re-designs of existing layouts easier, and connectivity a design breeze. 90mm spacing is great for non mag racing on plastic. 100mm is only needed for 1/24th.
                      4) Ninco track has it's own issues and the company is no longer focused on Slot product, so the future of track supplies is less certain than a few years ago.
                      5) They have created radii in R1, R2 and R3 which still allow for rug-racer setups, while also pushing out the boat with R4 and R5 for wider open tracks.
                      6) A 3 lane setup would appeal only to a tiny portion of (mainly hobbyist) market. You cannot build a product on such a small corner of the market; and it would make their track incompatible with every other brand.

I could go on and list another 10 or 15 points, but here is an easy cut and paste.

In December of 2017 Policar; a part of Slot.it, announced that they would begin production of a track system meeting
                      the requi
                      rements of European clubs, which race mainly on plastic tracks; as well as a top quality option for home tracks.
                      The track has 90mm lane spacing - the same as Ninco track.

Ninco has been the most widely used club track, and the Policar track has a textured, but less abrasive surface perfectly suited
                      for grip when racing without traction magnets, and forgiving in dusty environments. The track is made from a rigid plastic which
                      will not warp, and the plastic slot liner inside the rails will not fold inwards or close up at the joints.
                      There is an adapter track
                      between the two systems. Having seen prototypes when I visited Galileo Engineering (Slot.it) earlier in 2017, I can attest that
                      they have adopted the best aspects of other track systems, and improved joining methods, surface, and plastic composition.

These are track system size comparisons

This diagram shows clearly the comparison between curve radii of the major tracks systems
                      - The Policar system caters for small and large radii
                      with 5 steps of curve

- Textured surface scrubs dust from tyres to maintain better grip than smooth tracks in dusty conditions
                      - Note the rail liner, and flat racing surface - the rails are not "raised"

- Rigid plastic that will not warp or buckle with temperature change.

- Slot depth 8.5mm will take Slot.it wood guides
                      - 90mm lane spacing

- Robust electric connection, easy to use, secure clipping system, and lined slot which will not close up at the joints
                      The electrical connection is very good, and the steel used is described as "rust resistant" - they are stainless steel.

- 60mm wide border sections gives 105mm from slot centre to guard rail, great for non magnet racing

- Robust guard rails that clip above and below track

The joining system is easy to use for smaller hands, and very good, but these clips provide additional security for
                      locking sections together longitudinally in more permanent layouts

The clips pictured below in orange and red securely lock 4, 6 and 8 lane systems together laterally to eliminate gaps

They have designed the geometry, so that a layout can have the turns altered, while retaining the main structure,
                      as the geometry of the various curves simply requires the addition or subtraction of half straight pieces to restore continuity.
                      See R1 at top, through to R4 at bottom.
                      Initial track will be 4 lane (R1 and R2), expanded to 8 lane at the end of the year.

This will be a real bonus for people who like to experiment with track alterations.

In 2019, digital track pieces will be added.

There is additional detail in the document at this link "WhyPolicar"

First test video of the new track here
                      Last edited by SlotsNZ; 10-02-2018, 05:03 PM.

Comment

Super Post!

Seems to me that you have ... the inside track!

Comment

I had help

Originally posted by Wet Coast Racer View Post
                          Seems to me that you have ... the inside track!

OH NO, call the National Guard [or the Mounties], he's pulled a pun on me

I made up a basic Policar track file for UR30, but it had bugs, so Pierrick corrected those for me.
                          When I shared that track file on a forum one sigh wet Atlantic coast away from here, a guy made up that round picture of the four track system each occupying one quadrant and told me I could use it where ever I wished. The spreadsheet - meh, I am a spreadsheet nut, that is easy.

Most of the rest was publicly available information, just embellished with a little extra info I had acquired.

Now for the green bit - I had opportunity to handle the prototypes for the track way back - like May last year, in an office facility somewhere north of Modena while on holiday.

That is partly why I am so confident of the smart things they have done in creation of this system, and wanted to set the record straight a little.

Comment

[quote=SlotsNZ;1052015]
                            6) A 3 lane setup would appeal only to a tiny portion of (mainly hobbyist) market. You cannot build a product on such a small corner of the market; and it would make their track incompatible with every other brand. [quote=SlotsNZ;1052015]

Not sure I agree with this, although I suppose you have actual market research.

The 'three lane' track concept wasn't really tested during slots hey dey until very late in the game, by Strombecker, Scalextric, and a couple of other Japanese brands well on the down side of the hobby's popularity.

You cite the ease with which this track can be configured as 4 or even 6 lane...would THAT appeal to an even narrower market then?

Let's face it, slot cars as a whole appeal to a diminishing market. The kids I've known in the video game era: my now adult kids and now my grand children, like video games because MORE of their friends can play at the same time, fewer are sitting off to the side just watching. That's the appeal of online gaming.

3 lane track needn't take up appreciably more space that 2 lane, but significantly less than 4 lane. More people can play at once.

You cite that 3 lane track would appeal to the hobbyist (the point I suppose is that it's too small of a market), but then you cited a number of features/benefits of the track that would only appeal to a hobbyist. Example: the opinion that textured track self cleans tires. The average person buying a set for family use likely wouldn't even consider that a feature. And there IS a school of thought that the overly textured track, like Ninco, is actually a drawback because it proved to be awfully hard on tires.

Again, I suppose you've done actual market research rather than subjective speculation as I just did above (but I'm not trying to make a living selling slot car track and cars), but I'd suggest 3 lane track with two different radius curves (like Scalex did back in the day) might actually open interest/markets.

Not trying to be negative, kudos to anyone going all in like you're doing on a hobby that's seen stronger days. I just don't see the market for another brand of slot car track.

Comment

I am Stuck like Chuck with two old Artin sets for track but a 3 lane system would make me buy new track. Four lanes just won't fit the space I have and the two lanes I have are limited fun!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X