Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Issues with the New SCI Forum as we continue to recover more Historic Data.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wet Coast Racer View Post
    What about your other issues ...
    Well yes, those I try to avoid speaking of....

Comment

I'm having an annoyance with the new format, and it might be me.

The old format moved the latest post to the top of the list and then went down to the first when you logged in.

Now, the post all start with the first and move down to the latest. This is fine for shot topics, but when you get to many page topics that you haven't read in a few days, you need to scroll down to find where you left off!

Is there any way to reverse the post order?

Bill

Comment

I am having the not-staying-logged-in issues.

Chrome on PC. Just had to log in to post this...

No other issues at all for me though Alwyn.

Comment

Originally posted by ckouba View Post
          No other issues at all for me though Alwyn.
          Shees, tough crowd! Although I suppose we all reap what we sow....

Comment

Still not able to stay logged in unless I click the "Remember me" box.

As I said before, this is NOT the proper way to use the "Remember me" checkbox.

1. All registered users should be able to log in from any page within the forums, and remain logged in when they navigate to any subsequent page, unless and until they specifically log out. THIS IS ONLY APPLICABLE TO THE CURRENT BROWSING SESSION. If you close your browser and/or clear your cookies/cache, you will be asked to log back in when you return to the site.

2. The "Remember me" checkbox is intended to make your login persist in your cookies AFTER YOU HAVE CLOSED THE BROWSER. The "Remember me" box creates a persistent cookie that simply logging in will not do. This means the next time you open your browser and navigate to the site, your info is already saved in your browser and you will be logged in automatically. ***If your browser is set to clear your cookies/cache when you close it, you will never be able to use the "Remember me" box since the cookie will be deleted every time. This is exactly why REQUIRING all users to click "Remember me" is NOT the right solution: security-focused users may have their browser set to delete all cookies upon closing it, meaning the "Remember me" box does nothing for them in the long term, and is an additional, unnecessary extra step for them to login in the short term.

3. Because of #1 and #2 above, neither of which are working correctly, it seems you STILL have a mismatch in your cookie URLs, or your login timeout is too low, or you still have some remnants of Cloudflare mucking things up. All the "upgrades" so far have done nothing to help this. This is the original, most basic issue that caused (and continues to cause) all the other problems. It started when Cloudflare was originally (erroneously) set up.

https://blog.feld.me/posts/2018/07/v...t-remember-me/
            https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/foru...-over-and-over
            Last edited by el gecko; 04-08-2019, 03:05 PM.

Comment

I haven't had an issue with being logged-out. In fact I haven't had to log-in in over 2 weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by el gecko View Post
                2. The "Remember me" checkbox is intended to make your login persist in your cookies AFTER YOU HAVE CLOSED THE BROWSER. The "Remember me" box creates a persistent cookie that simply logging in will not do. This means the next time you open your browser and navigate to the site, your info is already saved in your browser and you will be logged in automatically. ***If your browser is set to clear your cookies/cache when you close it, you will never be able to use the "Remember me" box since the cookie will be deleted every time. This is exactly why REQUIRING all users to click "Remember me" is NOT the right solution: security-focused users may have their browser set to delete all cookies upon closing it, meaning the "Remember me" box does nothing for them in the long term, and is an additional, unnecessary extra step for them to login in the short term.
                It's possible that the forum setting that determines how long the Remember Me option lasts has much too small of a number in it. It's only going to last as long as the cookie says, which is as long as the server tells it to be. For example, on the slotcarwiki.org site, I have it set for 1 month. It even says so on the log in form. Alas, that doesn't seem to work, either, but the point is, when it does work, the amount of time is set by the thing that's writing that cookie.

Of course, then there are people with plug-ins that kill cookies.

Comment

I haven't had to log in since the new forums were up and running. It remembers me every time.

Comment

Here's another example of why we're using "Remember me" wrong:

When I log in with the box unchecked, it will show me logged in on the top bar, which only appears correct. However, this state ONLY lasts until I click off to another page in this site. Whenever I click off whatever page I was on when I logged in, the top bar goes back to the "normal" or "anonymous" setting as if I had not logged in at all! And when I try to see my Notifications or Messages, the site tells me I have the wrong permission, because it has just logged me out!

In a normal site, I should NOT have to click "Remember me" to stay logged in when just clicking around within the same site.

As a further example, if I log in directly on the thread I want to reply to, type out my reply, and attempt to add my reply, it always will tell me to log in again. Basically, unless I check "Remember me", I have to login after EVERY. SINGLE. ACTION. that I take on this site. This is definitely not how any website is supposed to work.

Browsers tested (PC only):
                    Chrome
                    Firefox
                    Opera
                    Internet Explorer
                    Brave

Identical results on every single browser, running on multiple computers using Windows and Linux. Even some browsers installed specifically to test this issue, which retain all of their default settings re: cookies, etc.

You all can continue to ignore it, but it's the site that's the problem. It has always been the site. But keep chasing your tails with these "upgrades" and blaming the users. Good strategy.
                    Last edited by el gecko; 04-22-2019, 01:04 PM.

Comment

Well, if it were a purely site problem then we all would be having the same issues as you are. This is not the case. I had a lot of those same issues early in the transition period, but am no longer having any issues at all. I have SCI bookmarked. When I click on my bookmark it takes me directly to the Forum, signed in, and I can navigate around, change pages, post, etc. with no issues.

I don't think any one is blaming the "user" but there must be some incompatibility with the site and whatever you're using. I'm using Firefox on a Mac. I'll confess to being pretty much a Luddite regarding computers and the fact that you tested a number of different browsers is perplexing so I have no suggestions to give you. Someone with a lot more expertise would have to give it a go.

Comment

I have no issues staying logged in el gecko - it must be your computer. When was the last time you rebooted your modem? Is the firmware in your router up to date?

Comment

Just FYI, I too have login every time I want to write a post and then login again to submit the post.

Comment

Originally posted by B52RN View Post
                            Well, if it were a purely site problem then we all would be having the same issues as you are. This is not the case. I had a lot of those same issues early in the transition period, but am no longer having any issues at all. I have SCI bookmarked. When I click on my bookmark it takes me directly to the Forum, signed in, and I can navigate around, change pages, post, etc. with no issues.

I don't think any one is blaming the "user" but there must be some incompatibility with the site and whatever you're using. I'm using Firefox on a Mac. I'll confess to being pretty much a Luddite regarding computers and the fact that you tested a number of different browsers is perplexing so I have no suggestions to give you. Someone with a lot more expertise would have to give it a go.
                            Thing is, I have not seen any posts by anyone who appears to have any expertise whatsoever in solving this issue. The last post was me trying to scientifically determine what the heck is wrong here, acting as a "deputy expert" in the absence of any others.

As you may have read in my post, I tested on MULTIPLE computers and MULTIPLE browsers. I don't know what you guys don't understand about that. It's definitely not my computer that's the problem (really? multiple browsers on all 6 of them, including the one I use at work?? COME ON)

The BIG thing, the thing I have been trying to explain from the very beginning of this stuff 5+ years ago:

In a website that is working normally, all users should log in and out and be able to use the site the exact same way. It should NOT behave differently for different users, outside of those who have particular settings enabled or disabled.

As you may have also read in my post, I used the default settings for half the browsers I tested. I am an email (and web) developer by trade so I have to test my code and make sure everything renders identically in not only web browsers, but also email clients which are much more particular about how the code is written. I have not wanted to get involved too deeply until this point because I hoped that it was something simple that would be fixed when support was contacted. Apparently support was useless and/or too expensive. Perhaps they don't understand the true nature of the problem?

I have been dropping hints at where the solutions could be for years now, and it's still not fixed, so apparently I'm just being ignored completely. That's a big part of the reason I have not volunteered to help fix it. I have done my own Google searches and posted some of the findings, which have provided lots of areas of the site to check, but I have never heard that those parts have even been checked. There are clear similarities to the issues we're having, and some of the links were from vBulletin's own support boards.

Instead, the bulletin board software got updated, without re-configuring the broken settings that they thought the update would fix.
                            Instead, they're working on getting a Facebook "Like" button installed.

None of this helps anyone just trying to log in and post a comment on a thread.

I could have become a vBulletin expert developer (and fixed the site many times over) in the time it has taken them to figure out wtf is wrong with it.

AND WE STILL DON'T KNOW!!!
                            Last edited by el gecko; 04-23-2019, 05:11 PM.

Comment

From Vbulletin :
                              Login / Logoff

Login to the site by locating the "Login or Sign Up" link located in the top right corner of the page.

Click the link to activate the login box.

Enter in your username and password with the option to "Remember me" then click "Log in".

Remember me allows a user to stay logged instead of their session with the site timing out after a default of 15 minutes without activity.

Please note: The Remember me feature sets a cookie in order to function properly, if you have specified in your browser to clear all cookies upon closing the program or similar then the feature may not work properly.

A short message "Logging in..." will appear until the login process is completed then you will see your Messages and User Options available on the top right where the login link was prior.

Alternatively you may also login using Facebook, if enabled by the Site Administrator. ( This is not active right now )

To do this, Click the Log in with facebook icon.

If you have logged into facebook recently and/or within the same browser session login will take place immediately.

If you have not logged into facebook recently it will prompt you for login.

On the subject of facebook login, please note your facebook account must be associated with your forum account in order for login to take place. To locate your facebook details simply visit your User Settings then the Account tab and scroll down to find the options for "Facebook Connect". Logging Off

After you login, the Login or Signup link will turn into your username. Clicking on your username will provide a dropdown menu. Select the logoff link on this menu to logout. Logging off will remove all cookies from your computer and you will be logged out of the software. This will also remove "Remember Me" cookies.
                              Last edited by Scaleracing; 04-23-2019, 11:26 PM.
                              Alan Smith
                              SCI Owner.
                              www.scaleracing.com
                              www.slotcarillustrated.com
                              www.facebook.com/scaleracingcenter
                              www.132slotcar.us

1-253-255-1807

Comment

I have asked time and time again for help if you can, and want to help fantastic. If all you want to do is throw rocks I guess that is Fantastic as well ( For you )
                                I have spend as much time as I can trying to resolve the isses with SCI.
                                I have compramized my Business to do so. Ignoring Shipping and other issues to run my business to try to resolve problems with the Site.

I have ask time and time again if anyone is willing to help please contact me off the Forum 1-253-255-1807 or [email protected]

I can not count how many hours I have invested to get the Forum back to where it is now. Instead of developing my Store and Web Site which is now about the only financing for SCI.

So again I will ask, if you can and want to help make SCI better you know who ad where I am. I welcome the help and so I am sure do the Members who are like me not Computer Experts.

Anyone who can help me grow and fine tune SCI I more than welcome the assistance.

Alan Smith
                                SCI Owner.
                                www.scaleracing.com
                                www.slotcarillustrated.com
                                www.facebook.com/scaleracingcenter
                                www.132slotcar.us

1-253-255-1807

Comment

Working...
                                X