Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SCX Porsche 911 GT3 Cup “UPS”

SCX Porsche 911 GT3 Cup “UPS”

Are You Sure You Want to Race the Truck?

by Kurt Moser “El Secundo”

SCX just recently won the “Most Improved Manufacturer” award voted by SlotCarIllustrated readers, and I recently had the chance to test their new UPS Porsche GT3. SCX introduced their GT3 during their renaissance, and this new Porsche is the latest incarnation. Read More...

Good read - and good car.
    Car should come equipped with the included better/42B motor.
    Last edited by tom2p; 04-04-2009, 07:35 PM.

Comment

Oh very good, what a well balanced review, readable, cogent, and insightful. Nice one, Kurt!

You could be the John Phillips of slot car writing "The car’s stellar looks led to the GT3 getting pawed by club members like a Hollywood starlet turned loose in a prison yard ... releasing the trigger feels a little like pitching a boat anchor out the driver’s side window, with a chain securely fastened to the rear axle ... "

I love the look of this car, and I sure hope you'll have the time to provide more reviews like this for us in the future.

Comment

Hopefully, with that poll we all voted on, this will happen.

Originally posted by tom2p View Post
        Car should come equipped with the included better/42B motor.

Comment

Originally posted by Wet Coast Racer View Post
          Oh very good, what a well balanced review, readable, cogent, and insightful. Nice one, Kurt!
          Crap, I was shooting for one-sided, inarticulate and peevish! But thanks for the compliments.

You could be the John Phillips of slot car writing
          Wait, John Phillips of the Mamas and Papas? I don't know if you liked those 'graphic characterizations' of the car, but I like writing them...

I love the look of this car, and I sure hope you'll have the time to provide more reviews like this for us in the future.
          Time is always the big issue, so I'm grateful to Dave for giving me a little leeway on time. But I'll keep writing them as long as Dave keeps sending them.

I do have a NINCO review in the works right now, and if things go well, I'll have it finished tomorrow (err, today). The review car got some good track time tonight, so I should have some good material to work with.

Comment

The RX42B is back in GT cars. We're beginning to integrate it back into production. I don't have a definitive answer about exactly which car this will begin with but in a discussion with the GM at SCX HQ this week he assured me that the RX42B is going back in cars. Please understand that some cars that are coming to the market now have been produced some time ago.

The white corvette was produced, for example, at the beginning of the year. And because of shipping and distribution time it's just hitting the market in the US now.

But to be clear, the voices of the hobbyist slotter have been heard, the B is back in.

DaveK
            SCX North America

Comment

Originally posted by DaveKennedy View Post
              But to be clear, the voices of the hobbyist slotter have been heard, the B is back in.
              Cool, congratulations on your big victory in Spain!

Comment

Almost missed your review, because I usally head straight for the forum. I knew you were a great slotter, but I didn't know you were a good writer, too. Great review! I enjoyed it. 50s

Comment

I was desperately trying to avoid purchasing this car (I have the old Scaley UPS Porsche from a few years back, but more than that, I have waaay too many 911s), but those pictures did me in. I'm going to have to get me one afterall!

I second the sentiments on the great review. We know you are a busy guy, Kurt, but I hope we'll see more reviews from you in the future.

Comment

Thanks for the compliments, guys!

Blair, thanks for saying something about the pictures. I've been trying to pay more attention to framing my pictures better, and getting the most out of the angles. I'm a pretty crappy photographer, and what finally hit me was that since SCX was using AutoCad files from Porsche, then maybe the same angles that look so good in magazines would translate to this car. I don't know how successful I was, but I can look at them and say, "Yeah, I think it's a Porsche."

Comment

They really caught my eye!

Most pictures of slot cars look like they are in a helicopter hovering way above the car. I like how you did "street level", makes the car look much better.

One last thing: I've heard that to get good even power one should consider soldering the metal pieces (do they have a name?) that connect the motor to the guide on SCXs. I haven't done this yet, but I have a soldering gun, and I'm not afraid to use it.

Has anyone else tried this, and if so, can you share if it's worth it or not?

Cheers,
                      Blair
                      Last edited by Blair M; 04-07-2009, 04:14 PM. Reason: grammer (what else?)

Comment

Originally posted by Blair M View Post
                        They really caught my eye!

Most pictures of slot cars look like they are in a helicopter hovering way above the car. I like how you did "street level", makes the car look much better.
                        You're right -- we don't see helicopter shots in Car and Driver.

Originally posted by Blair M View Post
                        One last thing: I've heard that to get good even power one should consider soldering the metal pieces (do they have a name?) that connect the motor to the guide on SCXs. I haven't done this yet, but I have a soldering gun, and I'm not afraid to use it.

Has anyone else tried this, and if so, can you share if it's worth it or not?
                        Yeah, it's a good modification. It does two things -- more solid power for one, and two, it reduces the sometimes excessive pod-rock. The GT3's don't rock nearly as much as, say, the Aston Martins.

Comment

Great review!!!
                          Any word on the gear wobble fix. I see that most dealers have run out of the 27T Green competition crown gear! I will also have to replace the 42 with a 42B.
                          Anyone out there replaced the 42 in the older Caddy LMP's?

Comment

Originally posted by sascws90 View Post
                            Any word on the gear wobble fix. I see that most dealers have run out of the 27T Green competition crown gear!
                            No word as of yet, but I know that SCX is aware of the problem. I dislike having to replace parts on a new car, and the frequency that it's been seen on early copies of this release could point to a systemic issue. The car definitely runs and is a ball to drive, but is held back by its crown gear.

This has to be a problem in assembly, not production (the gear comes out of a mold).

Comment

Forgot to mention that both rear wheels spin on the rear axle when you hold the crown gear.
                              You can pop them off easily!
                              Do you know what axle comes with this car?

Comment

Working...
                              X