SCX Porsche 911 GT3 Cup “UPS”

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sascws90 View Post
    Forgot to mention that both rear wheels spin on the rear axle when you hold the crown gear.
    You can pop them off easily!
    Do you know what axle comes with this car?
    It's compatible with Slot.It axles (or SCX Pro components), but I don't know the length.

It's interesting that you say that, about the gear turning on the axle. Between that, and the gear being wobbly, it would point to the gear being installed while the plastic was still too soft. Maybe they're popping gears out of the mold and fitting them straight on to the axles.

We can be pretty sure that they're not molded wobbly, so they may be wallowing out the gear where the axle goes through.

Comment

Nice review, Kurt.

The rear axle of these SCX cars is usually knurled where the gear goes on, so you will need to replace it with an SCX Pro axle (or other make like Slot.It) if you want to put on a new, set-screw gear (SCX Pro, or Slot.It, or other). The brass rear axle bearings in the car are OK as-is, but if you want a slightly tighter fit on the axle, the SCX Pro replacement bearings are recommended.

The RX-42B motor is rated at 18k/12v RPM, and torque is around 100 gcm/12v. At least an hour of run-in time will help it rev to spec (or higher, if you are lucky). The garden variety RX-42 is rated at 16.4k, I think, but many of them struggle to go even that fast.

Gearing of the RX-42B is best, on most home tracks, at the standard 9:27, or even taller at 10:27 (using the Pro brass 10t pinion). On longer home tracks (say, 12 feet of straight or longer) the taller ratio is a must.

I don't know anything about the magnetic performance, but in the no-mag world, SCX tires don't usually give sufficient traction on wood or smooth plastic, if you race against cars with sillies or urethanes. Fortunately, the rear wheels are the same size as Slot.It or Slot Car Corner 15x8 wheels, and will take the same aftermarket tires. If you have bothered to replace the rear axle and gear, it always helps to use aluminum set-screw wheels.

Dave brings these SCX cars to my track when he visits (I'm really his uncle), so I get to see them go, and they usually run well out of the box. The latest batch, fresh off the plane from Spain day before yesterday, seem to grip fairly well with stock tires. SCX cars have a good, solid feel without any tuning, and don't need weight added to handle really well. The Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano is a great handler. The new stub front axles spin like crazy, and provide good front -end stability.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Livingston View Post
        Nice review, Kurt.

The rear axle of these SCX cars is usually knurled where the gear goes on, so you will need to replace it with an SCX Pro axle (or other make like Slot.It) if you want to put on a new, set-screw gear (SCX Pro, or Slot.It, or other). The brass rear axle bearings in the car are OK as-is, but if you want a slightly tighter fit on the axle, the SCX Pro replacement bearings are recommended.

The RX-42B motor is rated at 18k/12v RPM, and torque is around 100 gcm/12v. At least an hour of run-in time will help it rev to spec (or higher, if you are lucky). The garden variety RX-42 is rated at 16.4k, I think, but many of them struggle to go even that fast.

Gearing of the RX-42B is best, on most home tracks, at the standard 9:27, or even taller at 10:27 (using the Pro brass 10t pinion). On longer home tracks (say, 12 feet of straight or longer) the taller ratio is a must.

I don't know anything about the magnetic performance, but in the no-mag world, SCX tires don't usually give sufficient traction on wood or smooth plastic, if you race against cars with sillies or urethanes. Fortunately, the rear wheels are the same size as Slot.It or Slot Car Corner 15x8 wheels, and will take the same aftermarket tires. If you have bothered to replace the rear axle and gear, it always helps to use aluminum set-screw wheels.

Dave brings these SCX cars to my track when he visits (I'm really his uncle), so I get to see them go, and they usually run well out of the box. The latest batch, fresh off the plane from Spain day before yesterday, seem to grip fairly well with stock tires. SCX cars have a good, solid feel without any tuning, and don't need weight added to handle really well. The Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano is a great handler. The new stub front axles spin like crazy, and provide good front -end stability.
        Thanks, Robert! True about the tires. I like them for just tooling around. It's easy to true them to a good shape, but they don't give the kind of grip you'll get with silicones (few stock tires do).

They have what I call 'scale' tires -- good enough to perform reasonably, without letting the car go a scale 250 mph through the chicanes.

Comment

Hi
          Sorry to bump an old thread but does someone know where I could buy a motor holder and a stub axle with wheel for this car.
          Thanks.

Comment

call Cincyslots Monday. I think I have what you're looking for I'm out of the shop today.

Bruce

Comment

Working...
            X