X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pioneer’s First: Steve McQueen Bullitt Mustang

Pioneer’s First: Steve McQueen Bullitt Mustang
    by Kurt Moser

Bucking the trend in modern 1/32 slot cars, Pioneer enters the fray not with a race car, but with a street car with a movie tie-in. "Bullitt" has long been known for one of the finest car chases in movie history with some of the baddest hot rods ever seen in Hollywood. The action is so good, you don't care how many times the black Charger loses its hubcaps, or how many times the white 1967 Firebird gets in the shot, or how many times they pass the green VW Beetle and turn left in front of the Cadillac. Pioneer brings us Steve McQueen's ride, the "Highland Green" 1968 Ford Mustang Fastback, with the 390 cubic inch motor. Let's get a good look at their first effort. Read More
    Last edited by LSIntegra94; 11-23-2009, 07:07 PM.

Thanks to Kurt for a well thought out and informative review.

Comment

Great car, great review! Now if the next car they bring out is the Dodge Challenger & Kachowski from Vanishing Point ... what a race that would be.

Comment

Kowalski.

Mc

Comment

i am very fond of mine i have not let anyone drive it yet not even my wife

Comment

Good one, Kurt - I really enjoyed your review.

Comment

Nice car, nice review. Will the motors be available separately? They might be useful to the limited-motor-class racers.

I like the authentic tire profile. Thanks to Pioneer for not installing 2000-era GT and LMP tires on these cars.

Funny about that black rear panel.

As for C pillars, my understanding of Detroit body parlance is that the A pillar is at the front of the roof, with B and C following in order. So, this car has an A pillar and a B pillar, and that is all. I could be wrong. Somewhere I have a glossary and diagram of design studio terms invented in Detroit. I was actually studying this stuff in college when this car was new. However, I was doodling Lola T70's in my notebooks.

Comment

Originally posted by scrjon View Post
                i am very fond of mine i have not let anyone drive it yet not even my wife
                Go ahead, let your wife drive it. You have a fresh supply of spares that shipped with the car.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Livingston View Post
                  I like the authentic tire profile. Thanks to Pioneer for not installing 2000-era GT and LMP tires on these cars.

Funny about that black rear panel.

As for C pillars, my understanding of Detroit body parlance is that the A pillar is at the front of the roof, with B and C following in order. So, this car has an A pillar and a B pillar, and that is all. I could be wrong. Somewhere I have a glossary and diagram of design studio terms invented in Detroit. I was actually studying this stuff in college when this car was new. However, I was doodling Lola T70's in my notebooks.
                  I really appreciated the tire profile, too. I'm guessing that the profile wasn't dumb luck.

Robert, from what I understand of the pillars, there is an A, B, C and D pillar designation. If the vehicle doesn't have the pillar, then that pillar isn't included. So coupes often have just the A and C pillars.

Comment

When in doubt, Google!

"Definition: The roof support between a car's rearmost side window and its rear window. On a vehicle with four side pillars, the rearmost roof support may be called a D-pillar."

Comment

She dont need to drive my cars ,I just got her a shiny new red TA

Comment

Thank you to ElSecundo for a very fair and objective review of the Bullitt Mustang.

Black rear panel? Yes - in some segments of the chase scene. In our unhealthy and painstaking analysis of every frame of the chase scene, (viewed on Blu Ray DVD), each frame was taken apart and scrutinized (and retro light adjusted with Adobe) to back up the definitive list of movie 'changes' written up by the International Bullittheads. According to the man that sprayed paint on the movie set, that rear panel required blacking to prevent the camera car reflecting in the panel during the final gas station segment.

It was decided, and agreed by all concerned, that no one single version could represent the actual movie car because there was not just one. For instance, one chase car was not a GT so did not have exhaust pipe cut-outs in rear valance panel......and on it goes.....plenty more trivia if anyone is interested.....

Robert, the motors will be available separately in just a few weeks, both 18k & 21k in case folks require a more long-legged club straight version. The 18k was found to be the optimum standard fitment for most regular length tracks and also was not too powerful for the no-mag racers.

I’m off to the factory at the weekend to see if I can squeeze a couple nice T/A Notchback coupes off the assembly line…..

Jules

Comment

Originally posted by Wet Coast Racer View Post
                          When in doubt, Google!

"Definition: The roof support between a car's rearmost side window and its rear window. On a vehicle with four side pillars, the rearmost roof support may be called a D-pillar."

Yep, it's interesting nomenclature, for sure. The way that's always worked for me is: A pillars frame the windscreen, the B pillar is found between front and rear side glass, the C pillars (on a car without D pillars) frame the rear window glass. On an SUV, the D pillars frame the rear window glass, on a regular cab pickup, the B pillars frame the rear window glass.

Jules, that's awesome information about the black panel! Sounds like it was done specifically for that one shot. I love hearing about these details -- they make the slot car more 'real' for me. Any more history, I'd be happy to hear it.

BTW Paul, that's my favorite shot of the car, too, even if it doesn't get the cool front end...
                          Last edited by ElSecundo; 11-24-2009, 05:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pioneer View Post
                            It was decided, and agreed by all concerned, that no one single version could represent the actual movie car because there was not just one. For instance, one chase car was not a GT so did not have exhaust pipe cut-outs in rear valance panel......and on it goes.....plenty more trivia if anyone is interested.....
                            Jules
                            You folks have done your homework, and it shows. Love the trivia, share all that you care to, or have time for.

Thank you for this beautiful offering!

Mc

Comment

Originally posted by McLiams View Post
                              You folks have done your homework, and it shows. Love the trivia, share all that you care to, or have time for.

Thank you for this beautiful offering!
                              Yep, same here. All the homework was really worthwhile, and makes this a very special street car. I hope the guys who are 'race cars only' will take notice of this car, too.

I've always liked the 'model motoring' aspect of slot cars, and back when Aurora was using that tagline, they had unusual track pieces that were more suited for streets than race tracks. I think realistic streets pose bigger challenges for track builders, and I'd be interested to see this explored more.

That's one of the reasons why I like the occasional street car in the collection, and I'm glad that manufacturers haven't given up on street cars. Hands down, this is the best street car I've seen. I do like some of the AutoArt street cars, like their Porsche Carrera GT, but there's no other street car with this kind of history. On top of that, the Steve McQueen driver figure puts it in a class by itself.

Comment

Working...
                              X