X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• “MJOLNIR” - The Avant Hammer Controller

“MJOLNIR” - The Avant Hammer Controller

By Lawrence

By now, word has spread concerning a new electronic slot car controller that is new to the North American market. This controller is the Avant Hammer M Controller produced by Avant Slot. Green in color, the Hammer has a rather awkward appearance. Do not be fooled by this appearance as this is a powerful new adversary on the slot car controller market. Most slot car racers are driven by a controller’s features then by its’ price. The Hammer offers a wide range of adjustable functions for a very affordable price in the $130 USD range. In fact, the Hammer is a tough controller to beat for the price considering the adjustability and features. Read More
    Last edited by Scaleracing; 06-18-2010, 09:09 AM.

Thanks Lawrence this is an excellent review.

I have looked forward to reading this review for some time. At the price being asked for this controller I am very likely to buy one. It sounds like a wonderful addition to one's racing arsenal.

Live Long & Prosper,

David.

Comment

I have been using one of these controllers for the past few months and have been very happy with it. The only thing I would ask for is a little more brakes for 1/24 scale 200+ gram cars. I suppose it was probably not intended for cars that are that heavy.

Chris

Comment

where in canada would i get one or two?

Comment

There isn't any distributor or retailer in Canada with this product, that I'm aware of.

Once Alan gets back from the UK (around June 23rd) you'll be able to place an order at 132Slotcar to get your hands on one.

Well actually, you could place your order now, it's just that I don't think there's anything being shipped from there until the last week of June.

Comment

i think he went to a b/day party...thanks

Comment

Speedy, Alan will be back in town on July 23rd if I am not mistaken. West Coast Racer can confirm this for me.

I have a couple of additions to the review. FIRST, once you get used to your Hammer M, DEFINITELY TAKE IT OUT OF SAFE MODE. I typed that in capital letters because you will find the controller to be much more sensitive, which, to me anyway, is a good thing. SECOND, the traction control features are not nearly as important as the "Dynamic Brake" features. If you are a very good racer, you probably don't need the traction control (I do because I am only a mediocre racer at best.) THIRD, the trigger is very "light" to the touch. You can change trigger springs as well as the location of the springs' attachment within the controller. This allows you to adjust trigger sensitivity to a very fine degree.

The only downfall I see with the Hammer M is its' inability to be adjusted on the fly versus an Engage, Third Eye, Professor Motor, or a DiFalco controller. With this said, I firmly believe that given plenty of practice time, you will NOT need to adjust the Hammer M during green flag conditions. One piece of advice: keep detailed notes on how your different cars respond to different settings with the Hammer M. By doing this, you can adjust the controller to the specific quirks of the different styles of cars and rules governing them.

As I said before, the Hammer M is an effing steal for the price given its' wide range of adjustability. Personally, I find my Hammer M to be a better controller to use with classes of cars that do not allow magnets and weighting of any kind. I do prefer my Engage Controller for classes that are non-mag and allow weighted tuning of the cars. I will say this: The Hammer M is an excelent controller to use with any NSR car !!!!!!!!!!! It also is a wonderful controller to use with the Sideways/Racer DP's, especially if your rules do not allow the cars to be weight tuned (there are always different ways to tune a car without using weights.)

Please send me any and all questions and I will answer them to the best of my ability. Alan and I have spent a lot of time on the phone discussing the features and how to adjust the Hammer M, so if I can't answer your questions, Alan will be able to take care of your questions.

TRY A HAMMER M. You will not be dissappointed

KIITS,
              Lawrence

Comment

what polarity is this controller and can it be changed?

Comment

Alan will be back in town on July 23rd if I am not mistaken. Wet Coast Racer can confirm this for me.
                  Won't be that long, Lawrence - back a week from Wednesday.

what polarity is this controller and can it be changed?
                  I'm pretty sure it's switchable. There's a link to the instructions to be found here.

Comment

The Hammer M is wired for positive polarity. The polarity of the Hammer is easily changed as WCR pointed out. When you open the controller, you will see where the red wires connect and the white wires connect. Reversing these connections as well as moving a single electronic jumper will turn the Hammer to negative polarity.

KIITS,
                    Lawrence

Comment

Originally posted by LSIntegra94 View Post
                      “MJOLNIR” - The Avant Hammer Controller

By Lawrence

By now, word has spread concerning a new electronic slot car controller that is new to the North American market. This controller is the Avant Hammer XL Controller produced by Avant Slot. Green in color, the Hammer has a rather awkward appearance. Do not be fooled by this appearance as this is a powerful new adversary on the slot car controller market. Most slot car racers are driven by a controller’s features then by its’ price. The Hammer offers a wide range of adjustable functions for a very affordable price in the $130 USD range. In fact, the Hammer is a tough controller to beat for the price considering the adjustability and features. Read More
                      How Many Ohm's..alot of tracks run on 12-volts up to 24-volts???

Comment

I'm no electronics whiz, but ohms is surely a measure of resistance? This isn't a Resistor Controller, it's an Electronic Controller that employs Pulse Width Modulation.

(Quietly exits before somebody says "What's that?")

Comment

Great review Lawrence are you able to compare this controller to either the Slot.it NSR electronic controllers?

Regards

Ray

Comment

Hi Ray,

As compared to the Slot.It controller, I think you will find the adjustability to be very similar as with performance. Both controllers require a very "light" touch on the trigger unless you just enjoy watching cars fly off the track...lol. As far as the new NSR controller, I have not seen one yet.

While I enjoy using my Hammer M, I find myself racing my Engage Controller 65% of the time. This falls under the category of "old habits are hard to break." That being said, the price difference between the Avant Hammer and the Engage is extreme (nearly $250 USD.) I truly believe that if you compare any other controller in the $150 price range to the Hammer, the "Mjolnir" will be your best choice.

KIITS,
                            Lawrence

Comment

hi
                              are these readily available anywhere yet?
                              cheers
                              warrick

Comment

Working...
                              X