• Show
Clear All

• Carrera CanAm Challenge

Carrera CanAm Challenge

D132 Porsche 917/30 – Sunoco Porsche Audi “No. 6”, ’73 - Ref. #30521

Evolution M20 – McLaren Cars “No. 5”, ’72 - Ref. #27328

D132 McLaren M20 – Roy Woods Racing 1973 - Ref. #30524

by Van LaPointe

Carrera has jumped onto the Can Am bandwagon with their most recent releases, and they’ve done so with a splash. The cars Carrera has chosen to model represent the end of two separate lines of development for the Can-Am land missiles: the McLaren M20 and Porsche 917/30.

The Carrera Can-Am models are available in both Analog and D132. The paint and detail on the cars looks great: nice sharp lines, good exhaust detail, and a pan interior leaving plenty of room for the electrical workings. Mark Donohue's spaceman helmet is a little on the funky side though. The tires on these cars are huge, with the Porsche’s being the widest I have ever seen on a 1/32 scale slot car. Read More

Excellent review, Van...

Am surprised at the weight difference between the two which probably accounts for some of the lap time difference. Hopefully my tighter smaller track will make them closer.

Da Vol - Bruce

Comment

That is a super review, eh? Pristine prose, and perfect pictures.

Particularly appreciated the technical info on digital/analogue conversion, weight, and comparative performance with cars from the same era.

Good one!

Comment

Thanks guys. Not a huge lap time difference - within 100ths of a second. I started out with the aim of keeping the history of these cars brief, but the more I looked into it I realized just how interesting the story was. I'm glad you guys enjoyed it.

Comment

Thanks for the review, Van, and especially the drool-worthy pictures. As you probably figured out, after I watched you unwrap your cars, I just had to stop by Mini Grid again and pick up the "Black Label" big Macca. So much for willpower....

One minor quibble: the CanAm started in 1966 (not 1967). That was the year that Surtees won in the red Lola T70. 1967 was the year that McLaren went orange and started their 5-year domination of the series (maybe Bruce/Da Vol is onto something).

As for after-market tires, Paul Gage already has urethanes available for the M20 and the 917-30. No doubt SuperTires/Yellowdogs will be available soon.

Regards,

Old23

Comment

Interesting review of the "land missiles", from history lesson to technical aspects to driving impressions. Nice!

Comment

10.268 Carrera D132 McLaren M20
              10.394 Carrera D132 Porsche 917/30

I was going by the mag-less times. But I'm a McLaren fan and my racing partner is a devout Porsche-phile so I'm OK with that if that's the way it is on our track...LOL

Anywhat, am looking forward to the Sunoco arriving shortly - of late I'm really liking these Carrera's...besides their great price, they do run quite well with a minimum of fuss.

Van - Have you tried them direct wired to see if there is any difference in their performance - I have seen that, but have no idea if that's just luck of the draw or...???

Da Vol - Bruce

Comment

Excellent work on the reviews Van, great context and history of the cars!
                DK

Comment

Someone needs to make a "Thunder Car" CD so we can play it in the background! The incredible sound looks as if it is all that is missing! Thanks for the great review.

Comment

Great review Van!

I expect the scale of these are more 1/32ish than the Vanquish cars? I sold off my Vanquish collection a few years ago due to the cars being too massive for my track.

BTW: found this nice Porsche clip on youtube

[YOUTUBE]UYBtCJDQqqg[/YOUTUBE]

Comment

A little more Porsche history!
                      [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uT6bJeheAN0"]YouTube- CAN-AM Porsche 917[/ame]

Comment

Nice review Van. As you stated, the cars are nicely turned out, and the wheels and tires run true. At first my 3 cars all felt different to me re weight, downforce and acceleration, but, following some tire sanding and some running in, I was able to get very similar lap times among all 3. Perhaps a trip to a magnet marshall to verify downforce is in order. And I'd still like to see a tighter fit for the rear axles in the bushings.

Comment

Has anybody counted the gear teeth yet? I am curious how the two different motors are geared, as they have differing RPM and torque, the cars themselves are differing weights, and yet performance of the two cars is very close (disregarding the magnets).

Comment

Originally posted by Da Vols View Post

Van - Have you tried them direct wired to see if there is any difference in their performance - I have seen that, but have no idea if that's just luck of the draw or...???

Da Vol - Bruce
                            Bruce,

I took all of the digital bits out of my Black Label McLaren because it felt a bit sluggish at 10 volts. It was much quicker without them. Keeping an eye on Luf to see when he gets tires for these beasts!

Comment

Originally posted by The Professor View Post
                              Keeping an eye on Luf to see when he gets tires for these beasts!
                              I gave him the original tyres off mine to make the mould and picked up a set on Monday. I hope to run the car with the urethanes on his track tonight. If you ask him I am sure he can make you a set.

Comment

Working...
                              X