Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DMX Slot - new system with new lane changing concept

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    The system I just read about called Magracing looks to be totally different than what has been posted above. The cars are 1/32 scale Can Am racers that are radio controlled but must follow buried rails in a freelance track configuration (hence the mag in the name) and like digital slot racing can only change their selected line at pre-selected locations. The cars are slower than standard 1/32 slot cars and must be steered to a degree. There are no slots and no guide flags, but there are on board AAA batteries There is also a reverse mode to get back on track if there is a spinout reducing the need for turn marshalls. Here is a link to the website.
    http://www.magracing.co.uk/
    Last edited by Modlerbob; 01-08-2014, 09:45 PM.

    Comment


    • #17
      A true slot/RC hybrid - MAGracing rocks.

      The only trouble is that, even after all this time there are so few places to race it. I feel for the creator because in many ways it makes the two things it pulls together look inferior on their own.
      Last edited by NicoRosberg.; 01-09-2014, 03:10 AM.

      Comment


      • #18
        I have three magsteer cars here and a small track built on a 4X8 sheet. It works pretty well. The batteries used in magsteer ore Li-ion and last about 20 minutes between charges and are quick change. If you have another set in a charger to exchange, it only takes a couple of seconds allowing you to run a car indefinitely with 20 minute pitstop intervals.

        Unfortunately with the system in this thread, the plethora of slots makes for at least as much of an unsightly roadway as conventional slot racing does. Wes's Magsteer system beats them all in that regard.

        I see an advantage with the battery power and R/C speed control even with conventional slot cars if you don't have an aversion to using rechargeable batteries. Imagine an R/C slot car that runs in a track more similar to digital or AC2car.

        Comment


        • #19
          Slot car performance is all about weight tuning, and batteries are big and heavy for a slot car to perform well. That's why powered rails are still the preferred method of delivering energy to the car. You can do "RC" slot cars, though. That's essentially what Scorpius and oXigen are.

          I haven't driven any yet, but from what I can see, MagRacing is the best solution to combining RC and slot cars that there will probably be for a while... unless that whole Anki Drive thing pans out beyond its current "proof of concept" toy stage. There's a guy not 30 minutes from me with a real nice MagRacing track, but I've not been invited over to race on it yet. Seems mainly a family activity for them. I'd pick up a car and controller if races there became a regular thing, though.

          Comment


          • #20
            To me the Anki thing is 100% RC, 0% slot cars. Journos keep getting it wrong, and it spreads to slot car forums on the back of that.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by MrFlippant View Post
              Slot car performance is all about weight tuning, and batteries are big and heavy for a slot car to perform well. That's why powered rails are still the preferred method of delivering energy to the car. You can do "RC" slot cars, though. That's essentially what Scorpius and oXigen are.

              I haven't driven any yet, but from what I can see, MagRacing is the best solution to combining RC and slot cars that there will probably be for a while... unless that whole Anki Drive thing pans out beyond its current "proof of concept" toy stage. There's a guy not 30 minutes from me with a real nice MagRacing track, but I've not been invited over to race on it yet. Seems mainly a family activity for them. I'd pick up a car and controller if races there became a regular thing, though.
              I would get a magracing car and build a track if the cars themselves could fit regular 1:32 bodies and if the chassis were a bit more sophisticated.

              Comment


              • #22
                If someone here in central Florida built a magracing road course similar to those on the website I would invest in a couple of cars. It looks like a pretty simple setup that doesn't require expensive infrastructure, just rails imbedded in a driving surface. The McLaren M8A body is for sale on ebay and I might get it to put on a HRS chassis. Then I could see up close how out of scale it is. I thinked they picked a good class of racing to produce their first set of cars. CanAm has always been my favorite.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by Modlerbob View Post
                  The McLaren M8A body is for sale on ebay and I might get it to put on a HRS chassis. Then I could see up close how out of scale it is. I thinked they picked a good class of racing to produce their first set of cars. CanAm has always been my favorite.
                  Bob, Do yourself a favor and get Truescale bodies instead. The Magsteer bodies are kinda, sorta, semi OK scale wise but they are very low on detail. They are vacuformed in white material rather than clear.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by Profoxcg View Post
                    I would get a magracing car and build a track if the cars themselves could fit regular 1:32 bodies and if the chassis were a bit more sophisticated.
                    Me too. If I could convert my existing 1/32 slot cars to some form of slotless mag system I think that would be ideal. It's very interesting to see the many various solutions to more realistic racing. I think the Anki system has a lot of potential not just as a racing system or a toy but for household devices that can be programmed to perform specific chores around the home.

                    Make Anki as a system with realistic models of 1:1 cars with chassis that could except existing 1/32 bodies, a battery that could go for several hours without recharging, controllers that deliver accurate acceleration and braking and that can be held for hours without fatigue, and make available a variety of challenging circuits and I would be all over it.

                    A system like that can't be far off, but then I'm not getting any younger.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by Nor Cal Mike View Post
                      Bob, Do yourself a favor and get Truescale bodies instead. The Magsteer bodies are kinda, sorta, semi OK scale wise but they are very low on detail. They are vacuformed in white material rather than clear.
                      I already have a couple of the Truescale McLaren bodies, they are pretty good.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        That above shows the basic problem with MAGracing.

                        Everyone is waiting for somebody else to build a track or create more/different cars and chassis.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X