Anki drive starter kit review

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The problems I see with Anki is,
    1. You seem to be looking at your device to control the cars instead of the cars as in slot cars racing. Even in video game racing you adjust your options first then watch the screen and control your car without looking at your remote or driving wheel during the race.

2. Small tracks with what looks like no possibility of creating your own.

3. The cars, it would be nice to see some actual manufacturers. I'm sure if this takes off that will come.

4. The battle mode just turns this into a toy. I remember watching the episode of Gears when Stacy David turned what could of been a nice plug for slot cars, but instead turned it into just a toy by crashing them up.
    Last edited by tycosaur; 10-07-2014, 03:12 PM.

Comment

But the cars are smart.

Unlike slot cars that need a slot to know where to go.

Comment

Anki Drive Starter set is now $99 thru 12/16.

Discounts on extra cars and tracks as well.

At $99, I think I might just pull the trigger and give it a go.

Reviews seem pretty positive and Anki has made a few software upgrades to the system as well.

Comment

Sounds like a clearance sale.

Comment

With Anki, I keep wondering why is there a need for human "drivers" at all? I mean, if we are talking about AI then dispense with the humans and just have the cars figure out the best way to shoot each other and race around the track in the most efficient manner. Having a human control the car is rather limiting I think. In my opinion, this whole concept really has nothing to do with slot cars or even the history of motor racing. May the best programmer win! Programming is cool! Where's the Arduino sub forum?

Comment

Originally posted by injectorman View Post
              Sounds like a clearance sale.
              Price goes back to $149 on Friday.

Comment

Originally posted by super8mm View Post
                With Anki, I keep wondering why is there a need for human "drivers" at all? I mean, if we are talking about AI then dispense with the humans and just have the cars figure out the best way to shoot each other and race around the track in the most efficient manner. Having a human control the car is rather limiting I think. In my opinion, this whole concept really has nothing to do with slot cars or even the history of motor racing. May the best programmer win! Programming is cool! Where's the Arduino sub forum?
                Well, slot cars is mainly about mashing the throttle and clicking a button for a lane change in a digital set up.

If we really want to get into basics here.

Comment

The controls are different, and the guide is different, but it's still a miniature car traveling around a defined race track that does not require manual steering to stay on the track. It's guided model car racing just like traditional slot cars are, like digital slot cars are, like MagRacing is, and even the new RealFX Racing system is. This is the fundamental difference between guided racing and RC racing. This is no more RC racing than Scorpius or oXigen is, or the use of wireless control for analog slot racing is.

Comment

Interesting. Had not heard of RealFX Racing.

Always new ways of getting me to spend money.

Comment

Gorph is not gorp posting at realfx forum

never mind
                      Last edited by gorp; 01-06-2015, 04:32 PM.

Comment

Anki Xmas

I was in Best Buy @ Christmas and they had an Anki display; aside from a couple cars it was picked clean!

NOW, this would be the first Christmas for that product realistically, so the test will be how many people that get them like them and how many get returned!?

Comment

Working...
                        X