Indycar; GP Long Beach

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indycar; GP Long Beach

i can't believe, that nobody has posted about this race, yet!! (??) .. BTW; a 1/32 scale 3-D plastic generated car, has been occasionally listed on evil-bay, but, the guy making them is very Kool for 'Offer-price'!! i've acquired 4, (adaptable to old Dallar Indy Chassis), got the body-putty-filler, sanding, and waiting for Pattos decals to arrive.!! All-Slot/Ostorero Kit chassis: i'm working on the modifications for that also!!
    F-1 Grand Prix; front Wing-design and Tail-Wing alternatives; i'm working on that also, for Designs; in the 3-D machine!!
    It's going to be a wonderful few years ahead, with the new Technology!! i.e. not even waiting for the Manufacturers to catch up!! (LOL!) ..
    Glad to see Juan Pablo Montoya, back in the circuit!!

I missed the race' but saw the qualifing. Yes it is great some of the older drivers are back. Should be a great INDY 500 this year. Indybob

Comment

I went to every LBGP since 1979. Stopped two years ago when they changed to the current butt-ugly cars. At least they have some named drivers.

Comment

Some good racing yesterday, fun to watch. The thing about racing on a tight road course is that it's like a pitchers' duel in baseball -- not a lot of offense, but the tiniest mistake changes the whole complexion. A lot hinges on every pitch.

Comment

I have never understood why the IRL can not sell their product to a more diverse group of race fans. Except for the Indy 500 the complete series seems to race in virtual obscurity. I remember about 10 years back when Mario said that the current drivers (of that time) were not making any more money than he did back when he drove Indy Cars. I went to a couple of IRL races at Richmond and to be honest found many of the people who work within the series to be a little arrogant about seemingly thinking that the IRL was vastly more important than it actually is. One man in particular was explaining to a fan (you must remember that Richmond is completely NASCAR slanted) that Indy Car Racing was here before NASCAR and will be here long after NASCAR is gone, I looked at him, laughed and told him that the hundreds of people in the stands felt the same way. Indy Car racing is great racing, however, they really need a better marketing plan. To be honest they need more Winning drivers that the American fan can more identify with.

I remember when Tony George first introduced the IRL as a competitor to CART he stated that the IRL would be the ending and professional home to the people coming up through Sprint, Midget and Champ Car racing, so much for the original concept for the series.

Comment

FYI -- The "IRL (Indy Racing League)" hasn't existed for some time now. It's just good ol' "IndyCar" again. -- E

Comment

Originally posted by BIG E View Post
              FYI -- The "IRL (Indy Racing League)" hasn't existed for some time now. It's just good ol' "IndyCar" again. -- E
              Second Verse, same as the First.

Comment

The IRL/Cart split had the worse timing for open wheel racing. At the same time NASCAR capitalized on it with the likes of Jeff Gordon. You combine that with the lack of known and talented drivers back then and it had failure written all over it. The rivals were gone, Unser, Andretti, Tracy, etc.....

The racing is pretty good right now but the crowds are still low. The cars and the lack of aero kits make them boring, they all look alike. Will the different aero kits bring more people to the tracks next year? Maybe, will see

Comment

Originally posted by Hundo View Post
                  The IRL/Cart split had the worse timing for open wheel racing. At the same time NASCAR capitalized on it with the likes of Jeff Gordon. You combine that with the lack of known and talented drivers back then and it had failure written all over it. The rivals were gone, Unser, Andretti, Tracy, etc.....

The racing is pretty good right now but the crowds are still low. The cars and the lack of aero kits make them boring, they all look alike. Will the different aero kits bring more people to the tracks next year? Maybe, will see
                  Hundo, I think that most people know what the real problem and why Indy Car Racing can not generate a larger fan base. The fact is even Tony George understood that The American Racing Public needed more American Drivers to root for. Gone are the days when many average fans could sit at an Indy Car race and talk about seeing these drivers when they started out at Winchester Ind. and have been following them in each step of their careers. Now many of these drivers get back into their Jets and fly back to their home country and have NO interaction with the fans other than at official fan greets. The cars are rather lack luster and vanilla and have no drawing power. So what are we left with to promote Indy Car Racing, how a driver did in dancing with the stars and about his former actress wife? I look at Indy Car racing today much like I did the IROC of years gone by, an interesting concept but nothing I would drive to see.

I know that a lot of people will not agree with me and might get upset with me for saying what I have stated, however, judging by the empty seats at an Indy Car race a lot of people feel much the same.

Comment

I grew up watching midgets, sprints, champ dirt cars. Seeing Foyt, Andretti at the old fairgrounds in Sacramento. My dad and I would go to the auditorium to listen live to the Indy 500 broadcast, those I guess were the "good ole days"

I live 100miles from Sonoma but haven't made an Indy car race yet, but have been to 4-5 NASCAR races?

Give me a 30 lap non winged sprint car race any day

Originally posted by Mayberryman View Post
                    Hundo, I think that most people know what the real problem and why Indy Car Racing can not generate a larger fan base. The fact is even Tony George understood that The American Racing Public needed more American Drivers to root for. Gone are the days when many average fans could sit at an Indy Car race and talk about seeing these drivers when they started out at Winchester Ind. and have been following them in each step of their careers. Now many of these drivers get back into their Jets and fly back to their home country and have NO interaction with the fans other than at official fan greets. The cars are rather lack luster and vanilla and have no drawing power. So what are we left with to promote Indy Car Racing, how a driver did in dancing with the stars and about his former actress wife? I look at Indy Car racing today much like I did the IROC of years gone by, an interesting concept but nothing I would drive to see.

I know that a lot of people will not agree with me and might get upset with me for saying what I have stated, however, judging by the empty seats at an Indy Car race a lot of people feel much the same.

Comment

Pluses and Minuses

Indycar is my favourite form of racing, and I watch every race. The only race I ever attended was the last Vancouver Indy, Champ Car race. We sat in the grandstand right behind Paul Tracy's pit. He won the pole and the race, and it was exciting.

Here is my plus/minus list for Indycar.

Plus-

The races are very close and exciting, especially on ovals.
                      Rarely does a driver win by more than a couple car lengths, and often by just inches.
                      The cars are fairly equal and therefore anyone has a chance to win a race.
                      They also race in Canada, although no longer in Vancouver.
                      The split between ovals, road and street courses helps to level the playing field as some drivers are more skilled on one type or another.
                      If you buy a paddock pass, you can get up close to the teams.

Minuses-

The cars are a bit ugly, although that is in the eye of the beholder. Safer but ugly.
                      Indycar racing should have never been split into IRL and CART.
                      When they came together again the wrong one survived, although the present series is much more like CART than IRL.
                      Many people whine that there should be more ovals, but nobody comes to the oval races.
                      Many people whine about street courses, but they are the best attended after the 500.
                      They are getting rid of Bump Day this year as there is not likely to be anyone to bump.
                      Many people whine that there are not enough Americans to cheer for, but when one wins the championship (Ryan Hunter Reay) there is almost no hoopla or press coverage in the American media.
                      By starting in April and ending on Labour Day, people forget about Indycars for the other half of the year.
                      The Hulman-George family has poorly managed Indycar racing for the last two decades and should sell the track and the series to someone or group who can make it successful.

Ride Buyers- This, to me, is the biggest problem with racing in all series, but is very obvious in Indycar.
                      Some years there have been excellent drivers sitting on the sidelines while nearly hopeless ride buyers provide rolling chicanes, or cause accidents every race.

OK there's my rant for today. In spite of all I find wrong with it, I still watch every race, but unfortunately, I am in a minority.

Comment

Nothing wrong with Indy at all...for one thing it's got a lot over F1 in terms of accessibility to the fans, trading paint, fewer sensitive egos and prima donnas. We all have our favourite aspects of racing and should be grown up enough to realize it's all just a pastime so who cares as long as we enjoy watching. I don't get dirt track and pro stock stuff, nor NASCAR. But far be it from me to put down fans or drivers ...open wheel racing in NA hasn't been the same since the two series and then consolidation. I hope the shortened season won't turn off sponsors and that Indy gets on more solid footing. I too have hung out behind the pits at the Vancouver Indy and it's fun. Usually there are lots of local events and the drivers are available to ordinary folk. It's all good so don't be shy in admitting you enjoy Indy

Comment

For those that whine about look-alike cars...get used to it. It's like this in EVERY form of motorsports that allow either aero changes to stock bodied cars or especially to specific cars.

NASCAR - take the stickers off...all the same (maybe a little better with the current design)
                          Indy/CART - all the same.
                          Offroad - pick a class - all the same.
                          Drag Racing - Pick a class - all the same.

And on and on. Some aero things work, some don't. So who's copying whom ? Plus the rules makers have a fair amount to do with it..."keep the playing field level.." !

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Mayberryman View Post
                            Second Verse, same as the First.
                            I hear ya, M-man. :>)

Hope the $$$ work out so I can go to Pocono this year. -- E

Comment

Originally posted by Mike- View Post
                              For those that whine about look-alike cars...get used to it. It's like this in EVERY form of motorsports that allow either aero changes to stock bodied cars or especially to specific cars.
                              True, and this has been more true in the past than we care to admit. Even in the old days, we saw cars in a single series that were extremely similar to their competitors. Even the Ferrari 250 GTO had competitors that looked similar. Those little Chevrons that Fly made ran on tracks filled with little cheese-wedges. When we look back on those days, we see a ton of variety across series, but there wasn't always a lot within a series.

Crazy idea -- can you imagine a spec series where you could make changes, but each change came with a weight penalty?

Comment

Working...
                              X