• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scaleracing
    started a topic BRM McLaren F1 GTR

BRM McLaren F1 GTR

We are proud to present
    the new BRM GT 1/24 slot car F1 GTR

These cars will be released in North America at the BRM Event hosted by Slot Car Illustrated and the ScaleRacing Center in Tacoma WA.

Please see the News section on SCI for more information here : http://www.slotcarillustrated.com/in..._articleid=725

This Show features racing with BRM Megane, Porsche 917 and Group C cars and ends with the 24 hours of Tacoma.

Last edited by Scaleracing; 10-22-2014, 07:02 PM.

• noddaz
    replied
    Wow

Originally posted by Wet Coast Racer View Post
    Woah!

Fabulous looking slot car!

What are the mechanicals for this one?
    I am late to this party.. But what a good looking car...

Scott

Leave a comment:

• Tangmere222
    replied
    Got mine!

Got mine. One of the rear melted tabs that attach the rear valance broke loose somewhere on it's way to me but I sorta fixed it with Shoo goo. It weighs in at almost 195 gms (no magnet). Not run it yet but I will soon.

Leave a comment:

• Tangmere222
    replied
    Just ordered my West liveried F1. I'm a big fan of 1/24 stuff -got BRMs, ScaleAutos and a few Carreras. We're getting more of the club into the bigger cars but sometimes its like pulling teeth. A club across town is into the 1/24 Carreras only and we're trying to find a way to run all brands together. A tall order for sure. We run non-mag only on mostly wood tracks and the occasional Carrera layout.

Leave a comment:

• reek455
    replied
    Locally, we run our BRM Gr. C cars completely stock including magnet and shore 30 tires. The racing is always very close and exciting. Our local resident BRM pusher (Sorry Tony) Chris Kouba kept at us to try the 1/24 BRM's cars. We kind of slowly and begrudgingly warmed to them and now they are one of our favorites. The track we run them on is a fairly tight and technical layout with less than 1/4" between cars and it would seem impossible to race them being that close to each other but it is a blast.

Thanks to Mr. Kouba, I got to play with the new McLaren last night and it does not disappoint. It was very fast, smooth and easy to push hard. So good it almost makes the price point seem well worth it.

Leave a comment:

• dansula
    replied
    With time as the base of the 1/24 racing grows then there will be a need to have a feeder(stock) series and a racer(tuner) series. It is some years off and that is where things will go. imo

Leave a comment:

• ModelTrainGuy
    replied
    Metal Chassis ?

I hear you Dan 'O
    Scale racing , is not about going "fast, fast, fast"...
    There are all sorts of "thingies" out there that do that.
    The "scale model" car, is the only reason I slot "race" to begin with
    (And quiet as it's kept I will not race my 1/24 babies. Just want them to be "pretty", and turn smooth, quick laps.)
    But being a child of the 60's ... I have a strong METAL bias...

Hey Mr. Alan, (The High Commissioner of the "Federation" !)
    Why not put a bug in BRM's ear, to introduce a line of Porsche 956 LH (say Rothman's livery, circa 1982 )
    With the latest chassis improvements (metal and A/W) so that the Baddest of Group C can be adequately represented ???

Then maybe the fastest BRM Porsche, won't necessarily be a 917

Leave a comment:

• dansula
    replied
    MTG
    I guess it is a question of what is the goal. To go fast or to have close scale racing. I am firmly in the later camp.

Hardbody scale detail cars will struggle with high speed as any crash risks damage to the car and there is only so much abuse the body can take. Just as metal chassis were the preferred route all those years ago so were lexan bodies. I think "Federation High Command doctrine" is onto something by insisting on racing the car as close to stock as possible. And this applies to all classes of car. There is something very discouraging to buy a car then hear OK now you need these spare parts and the knowledge to install them before you have a chance to be competitive. A newcomer is given a reason to leave the hobby.

In the scaleracing class a metal chassis is no help for speed. Comparing the various BRM cars with and with out metal chassis's there is no advantage to metal on the track. There will be in the consistency of the manufacturing process, though. A computer controlled laser cutting jig will make the same chassis fore ever. Where as the plastic manufacturing constraints of "work the mould as fast as possible" can and does lead to warped plastic chassis as the chassis is removed from the mould before the plastic is cool. Also the the computer controlled machine is more flexible. It only takes a few key strokes to make more chassis. This flexibility is a great boon to the manufacturer.

We share the same experience of the early BRM cars on stock tyres. However, the angle winder BRM group C cars on Scaleauto sponge tyres are a predictable fun car to drive. Definitive factual statement coming from one whose first experience of them(2009) was like driving on a knife edge. One minute in the slot and then next in the gutter with little warning in between. I said never again to 1/24. How the times have changed. I am now a fan.

I think the biggest plus for a simple plate chassis cut by computer controlled laser is the repeatability of the product. It is a barrier to entry into the hobby removed.

Leave a comment:

• Modlerbob
    replied
    If there was a group of BRM owners around here still racing I would pony up the cash for this car.

Leave a comment:

• ckouba
    replied
    Originally posted by porsche917 View Post
    When can we pre-order these? I looked on the website but didn't see any place to pre-order any of the cars. They look so good!
    THIS should get you there.

Chris

Leave a comment:

• ModelTrainGuy
    replied
    Well...

At the risk of running "afoul" of Federation High Command doctrine...

I'm thinking a metal chassis has to be more desirable, for the simple physics of the whole deal.

The highly detailed, festooned with prototypical features plastic body, puts a lot of weight up high...

High... where you do not want it in a slot car. Low center of gravity is what you want. Not

necessarily for a fast car, but one that handles decently, and resists the tippy-toppy-flippy floppy

handling easily manifested in an early (but very pretty) BRM.

Challenging ? Maybe, but more like not too much fun to drive ...

So, I'm glad to see the metal...

Besides, back in the day, most 1/24 commercial tracks fare was metal. Brass, Aluminum

Magnesium, what have you ...

I only saw plastic, when I returned to the hobby early in the century ... in 1/32 stuff.

Have not run the new 962 AW chassis yet. I do expect it to be much better. But after flattening it

out in the oven (would I have to do a metal chassis like that ?) I will probably be adding weight to it ...

Weight ... the enemy in 1:1 racing, can sometimes be out friend in hobby racing ...

But there's that "physics" thing again. More mass equals more power required for it to be

correspondingly quick .

What I'd like to see,ultimately, is a motor producing about 400+ grams of torque @ 25K RPM of

so to move this proposed sled ...

And finally, a working differential so tires can rotate at the appropriate rates in turns, and stick

like silicone/urethane (!) ... instead of slippin like spongies to let the car negotiate the turn, as

opposed to skippin , hoppin' & jumpin' in turns that happens , when the tires actually stick, and have

traction ...

Stuff to look forward too ...
    Last edited by ModelTrainGuy; 10-24-2014, 06:26 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Modlerbob
    replied
    A repeat of the 1970's when anglewinders took over racing from sidewinders and inline configurations. Imagine that!

Leave a comment:

• Scaleracing
    replied
    Here on non glue flat tracks

We are finding the Group C angle winders at 180.190 grams the fastest, but every track is different.
    All the angle winders are proving fast.

Leave a comment:

• njbumper
    replied
    Here in Jersey I would say Scaleauto(fastest ) then BRM Group C then 917.The BRM'S are a blast to drive especially the SAUBER MERCEDES.
    Last edited by njbumper; 10-24-2014, 06:41 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Scaleracing
    replied
    Glass re enforced nylon still works well.

The Glass re-enforced nylon BRM Group C cars are still the fastest here, not the metal chassis Scaleauto or the new McLaren.
    The lower weight center of the metal chassis cars means they are a little easier to drive.
    But who likes easy

I like a challenge.

See you at the Races.

The beauty of 1:24 scale racing is you do not need lots of cars just a BRM Group C, BRM Porsche 917 and soon a , BRM McLaren and Scaleauto GT2/GT3.
    Of course if you really want to splash out a Megane could be added and we do have Scaleauto NASCAR cars

Leave a comment:

Working...
X