No announcement yet.

New Beetles arriving soon.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

These are great cars. I haven't been able to run one yet, but the model look amazing in person. IN any case, I bought both of them, Race 2 in digital and Race 1 in analog. As it turns out, they are not downwardly compatable in terms of removing the chip and maintaining the factory connectors. In any case, if your paying attention, to this thread, I am happy to sell my digital version for the cost of an analog + shipping.

This will also be posted on the Buy/Trade/sell board too.

We'll done Carrera, Let's hope for another livery in this car......and the Monza.....and the Pantera....

Comment

Wild Thing

I bought several of the Group 5 VWs (won't say how many just in case my wife reads this post). I really love the car. It brings back memories of my first rust free car, a 1966 VW Beetle. This is the car I always dreamed my old VW could be. With the 1300cc 50HP engine the 1966 VW was a real dog. Can't imagine what aa earlier 1200cc 36hp or 40hp version was like. And God help you when you got passed by a Tractor Trailer on the Interstate. Going down the Interstate sideways is no fun.The Group 5 replica would definitely be a VW Body on STERIODS.

I also really like the head lights on the Digital, because if you ever owned a 6 volt electrical system VW Beetle you'll remember the car didn't really have any headlights that would make you feel safe driving at night. I actually believe the head lights on the slot car put out more light than my actual 1966 VW did. More memories. I really miss that car!

Really impressed with the car right out of the box. The stock tires even have very reasonable grip. So I will keep most of the cars stock. This car is a real bargin at Carrera prices.

There are two exceptions. The car is so stable in stock form that it was just begging for more power. So one car got a 25K Slot-it motor and one car got a 29K motor with a 10 tooth pinion. I swapped out the rear axle with a Carrera F1 axle (that fit perfectly) and installed Indy Grips 7004 silicone tires The Indy grips on the F1 wheels (ends up with same diameter and width as the stock rear tires). I swapped out the High Quality Carrera Interiors with a light Champion Vacuum formed interiors. The cars go so fast you can't see anything beyond a blur. Both cars are real beast, very quick and handle great.

For the purest out there the rest of the VW Group 5 cars I have will remain stock. There are really a joy even without all the extras. However, I will install silicones on at least one car when they become available. (Hint, Hint, to the silicone tire manufacturers).

I would love for Carrera to come out with more of the VW Group 5s in different liveries.

Comment

Urethane Tires

I just received my order of Paul Gage Urethane tires for the Group 5 VW Kafer.

As I previously posted the stock Carrera VW rubber tires are good, much better than what most cars come with. and the car performs well even with the stock tires.

Even with the good stock tires as a baseline, the Paul Gage urethane tires are much better. With the Paul Gage urethanes installed I really have to push the car to get the rear tires to break loose, and the lap times improved. Tires were just slipped on and seated, not glued or trued (I leave comparisons test for these tires to others). As far as I know these are the first and only aftermarket tires available for this car.

I will be very interested to see what other aftermarket tire suppliers make for this car and how well they perform.

At the same time I thank Paul Gage for supporting this car and I'm very happy with this purchase.

Comment

Originally posted by Rhondale View Post
          I bought several of the Group 5 VWs (won't say how many just in case my wife reads this post). I really love the car. It brings back memories of my first rust free car, a 1966 VW Beetle. This is the car I always dreamed my old VW could be. With the 1300cc 50HP engine the 1966 VW was a real dog. Can't imagine what aa earlier 1200cc 36hp or 40hp version was like. And God help you when you got passed by a Tractor Trailer on the Interstate. Going down the Interstate sideways is no fun.The Group 5 replica would definitely be a VW Body on STERIODS.

I also really like the head lights on the Digital, because if you ever owned a 6 volt electrical system VW Beetle you'll remember the car didn't really have any headlights that would make you feel safe driving at night. I actually believe the head lights on the slot car put out more light than my actual 1966 VW did. More memories. I really miss that car!

Really impressed with the car right out of the box. The stock tires even have very reasonable grip. So I will keep most of the cars stock. This car is a real bargin at Carrera prices.

There are two exceptions. The car is so stable in stock form that it was just begging for more power. So one car got a 25K Slot-it motor and one car got a 29K motor with a 10 tooth pinion. I swapped out the rear axle with a Carrera F1 axle (that fit perfectly) and installed Indy Grips 7004 silicone tires The Indy grips on the F1 wheels (ends up with same diameter and width as the stock rear tires). I swapped out the High Quality Carrera Interiors with a light Champion Vacuum formed interiors. The cars go so fast you can't see anything beyond a blur. Both cars are real beast, very quick and handle great.

For the purest out there the rest of the VW Group 5 cars I have will remain stock. There are really a joy even without all the extras. However, I will install silicones on at least one car when they become available. (Hint, Hint, to the silicone tire manufacturers).

I would love for Carrera to come out with more of the VW Group 5s in different liveries.

Great post!

Comment

I found Pauls tyres for the Carrera Lola T222 a perfect fit, also added some Slot-It goodies. Since the picture was taken Slot-It gears as well.

Comment

Working...
            X