No announcement yet.

For All Mfr's

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scale Auto, I think you are missing the point.
    Wheels are supposed to be round. Every time they make a new wheel they must "tool up" in order to do so. It really doesn't take that much more time, money, or energy to do it properly; they are just lazy because they don't feel they need to care about the quality. QC is the more expensive part of the equation, but the big 2 have that in place already, again, they just don't care. They have been doing what they do for years & making money, so why change, why try to be better? Yes, they know who their customer is & I don't buy too many Scaley or Carrera cars. They are over-engineered for the "toys" that they are. My point is that they could spend their efforts making a better product w/out changing much, other than their thought process. Again - why?

As far as the rest of them, whether they are producing in China or Spain or Italy, the technology is available to make round wheels - & it is not cost prohibitive, there just has to be a will to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by JWCyborg View Post
      Just a thought on quality control and tolerances...

Lego has made(billions, maybe?)plastic blocks for years. You can buy a new block and take a block that has been bouncing around in toy chests and vacuum cleaners for the last 25 years and they will mate up perfectly.

I know it can be done. Lego's are cheap.

Slot cars are not.

Just my 2 cents.

JW
      50 years today BTW! And yes they do all fit each other.

You would think that if the original mold is made correctly then all of the tire and wheels would be round - out of the box - ready to run.

Comment

Hot Wheels & Matchbox make round wheels on cars that are less than $1.

Comment

Originally posted by Danni O'Laisip View Post
          50 years today BTW! And yes they do all fit each other.

You would think that if the original mold is made correctly then all of the tire and wheels would be round - out of the box - ready to run.
          I would imagine that it is difficult in these days of CNC machining to make a mold out of round. Somewhere in the allignment of the pieces of the molds there is a problem. Or the plastic is still too hot when it is removed from the mold or something...

And yes, happy patent birthday to Lego. I have some bricks from about 1962, and while the design has been improved a lot since then, and boy has the plastic changed, they are completely compatible.

Comment

I'm pretty sure the the molds are round, its just that the plastic wheels probably warp as they cool from the molding process. Or at least thats what i think.

Comment

It's also probable that the axle hole is drilled after the wheel is cast. The accuracy of the drilling would then be determined by the operator, which is why we probably see so much deviation in this one area.

Comment

Yesthat could be true, ZB. But i think that most axle holes are molded in.

But you make a good point in that if one side of the mold isnt seated (centered) correctly it could cause similar eccentricity, such as that caused by being drilled off-center.

Comment

Guide position!!

Besides the out of round wheels my pet peeve is the manufacturers need to recess the guide and have front wheels that touch the track and only give the guide an 1/8th of an inch in the slot. Many of the new Fly and Scalextric cars have this problem, yes the cars look great from a static point of veiw but the are hopeless at keeping the guide in the slot!!

Comment

Slot.it front wheels are plastic. They press onto the axle. They don't fall off. They're removable. They're round and true. What's so difficult about this idea for the other companies?

If their rear wheels were as good as Slot.it's front wheels, we'd be OK. We could probably even live with kurled sections on the axle for the crown and spur gears. We'd even be able to have bushings that fit the axle!

If the companies built several widths of the standard diameter wheels, why not then make inserts to represent the real wheels? Make 15", 16", 17", 18" etc. diameters, and then make a range of widths. And maybe keep the same rim dimensions and design for tire mounting.

If BWA and Slot.it can make wheels, why can't Scalextric and Fly? They could then give us an incredible range of inserts, and sell them to us as replacements.

Nah, it'll never happen.

Comment

I guess that as long as we continue to buy their products, there is no urgency to resolving the problem.

Comment

I would offer the opinion that the Slot.It guys are car guys and racers. Perhaps making a value packed, out of the box competitor is their goal and passion. The 'big guys' are supplying our kids with cars to run with magnets on plastic track where many ills can be hidden. I will always be a Slot.It fan.

Comment

Slot It - round tires, but...

Yes the tires and wheels were round, but I just spent over an hour getting the front wheels and guide pin to work without binding on my Slot-It McLaren.

Comment

Originally posted by thoskirc View Post
                            Yes the tires and wheels were round, but I just spent over an hour getting the front wheels and guide pin to work without binding on my Slot-It McLaren.
                            Same deal for me. Bought my first Slot-it and it wouldn't run out of the box, period. For the price they command they should at least be able to make a lap on the track. I will not spend hours on a car to make it run, a few minutes for general tuning, yes, but not a major overhaul. You can keep the Slot-it cars...I'll run the out of round tire shod Scaleys, Carreras, Flys, and the rest of them.

BTW, Slot-it, if you are reading this, include a dang hex wrench, alan wrench, alan key, whatever you wanna call it with each car. I mean, afterall if I'm gonna have to work on it from the get go, I need a tool to do it with.

Jeremy

Comment

Bibster: Why throw a wrench in every car? That is a waste of wrenches and a un-necessary expense. I have 2 Slot.It Ferrari kits and have 2 wrenches. The solution is simple Just buy one or better yet buy the no strip wrench and be done with it.

Comment

Working...
                              X