Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Race Coordinator setup issue

Greetings All...

I have a 4 lane Carlson Sensor Track (non-USB) that I have been using with Slot Race Manager (2.30) for 7+ years with no problems. I downloaded RC to a PC w/ Windows XP. The demo looked fantastic, so I tried to connect/configure my Sensor Track for use - but I am having issues. From everything I have read, it is almost always User Error when they can't get RC to work; so, hopefully, someone can help:

What I know:

A) RC detects my Master Relay & will operate it via the Space Bar.

B) RC detects my Track Call button (light will toggle on the setup screen), but it won't operate the Master Relay.

C) No matter what settings I use, I can not get RC to recognize the sensors for any lane, in any way, shape, or form.

What I need help on:

A) What can I try to get RC to recognize my sensors?

B) What do I need to do to get the Track Call button to activate the relay?

I don't have another machine to try out, in case there might be a problem with my machine's parallel port or other hardware...

Thanks in advance!

Bill W.

Greetings All...

Has anyone else used their parallel-port Sensor Track with RC?

Thanks!
    Bill W.

Comment

I am using the exactly the same stuff as you.... Windows XP, parallel port, Carlson 4 lane sensor harness with a track call button. Has been working flawlessly for years. I do recall having problems similar to the ones you are having when I was putting my track together.
      My problems were solved by going through some menus in the program and changing the settings. There is someplace in the program where it asks you to select " relay normally open or closed" also a spot to choose " dead strip, Infared etc.." You need to find this screen and change some settings. It has been a long time since I have had to do this and I am having trouble remembering. If I have time tomorrow, I will look at how mine is set up and get back to you.

Comment

The above information and set up is in the "track set up" port configuration.

Comment

Originally posted by Phil Kalbfell View Post
          The above information and set up is in the "track set up" port configuration.
          I ran into something like this a month ago. Follow the Trackmate instructions for going into Computer and locating the correct port. I know there is something in TrackMate to automatically select the Com Port but it was showing the wrong one for me at least. Then I believe you go back to RC and select the correct port.

Comment

Greetings...

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the help.

I was using the RC Expert (or Advanced) Setup screen. RC recognizes and allows me to toggle the light on the setup screen when I push the track call button; and I can toggle the light for the relay with the space bar while on the setup screen - but pushing the track call button doesn't activate (toggle) the relay or even the relay light on the setup screen. The ports are named correctly on the setup screen, so I suspect it's maybe the port as a whole that is deficient -as opposed to the user

The Carlson sensor is a light emitter/detector circuit, which means it is normally closed & a car passing the sensor breaks (opens) the circuit. I tried each pin setting in every configuration possible and it will not acknowledge the circuit being broken. I tested pins 10, 11, 12, 13 on the port by jumping them with a wire and verified they are working because these seem to be the primary pins used for lap counting (plus if you jump the data pins you can fry the port). I know the sensor track is functioning, because I re-connected my original set up (a DOS based machine w/SRM230) and it worked fine. There is no documentation as to what pins Brent Carlson used specifically for his Sensor Track, but I am pretty sure it's 10, 11, 12, 13 for the 4 lanes & 15 for the relay. However, like I said, I tried every variation possible on the RC setup screen and it would never acknowledge the lap sensors.

I'm going to borrow a newer XP or later based machine & try RC on it. It's possible the machine I am using just isn't up to snuff (although it operates in XP and has .net installed - the RC demo works fine).

Again, I appreciate your suggestions & aid!

Bill W.

Comment

It is not a good idea to apply a dead short across a computer port, it will burn out the port if the short lasts very long. It is much safer to do the test with a 150 ohm or higher resistor. A track call button would also be a short. Usually those are on a fairly long extension cord, there might be enough resistance to avoid burning out the port, or maybe not. Normally you would not hold the button down for long in any case.

Comment

Sigh,

So, I get my Carlson parallel to USB converter (thanks Troy!) and hook it up. It interfaces via the "Game Port" configuration in RC. It counts & times laps perfectly. Absolutely Awesome!

However, now my Track Call bottom doesn't work, and neither does my Master Relay...

Ideas?

Thanks,

Bill

Comment

over USB the call button will not work. I believe I read that somewhere that the extra function would be a no go. This I think was true of the game port as well. Not sure if this was an issue for the com port.

Now do you have a different PC for each of these software or are they the same PC? Also what version of RC?

Comment

Originally posted by tanware View Post
                    over USB the call button will not work. I believe I read that somewhere that the extra function would be a no go. This I think was true of the game port as well. Not sure if this was an issue for the com port.

Now do you have a different PC for each of these software or are they the same PC? Also what version of RC?
                    I thought call button would work its just another input. I spoke to Brent a couple of years ago when it was in beta and I think the initial version didn't have the ability for output so no track power relays.

Now if only someone could develop an arduino based USB interface.

Comment

Originally posted by tanware View Post

Hi...

Using an XP machine w/the latest version of RC. If I plug the parallel connector (original connection that Brent made for me) into the parallel port, the Track Call button and Master Relay operate as they should, but there is no recognition of any of the lane sensors. If I interface via the Carlson parallel to USB converter then all four lanes time and count perfectly, but it doesn't recognize the Track Call button and won't operate the relay. Using the parallel to USB converter, RC only recognizes it as a Game Controller input, so that is the only configuration screen in RC I can use. There is no USB-specific configuration screen.

I was previously using Slot Race Manager on a different machine running in DOS only... Lap counting and timing work perfect there and the Master Relay operates as well. The Track Call button did not work because Slot Race Manager did not support this function.

Bill

Comment

track call and per lane relay support

I want to install RC but have no idea what the interface for the track call and the per lane relay support should look like. I am still using Lap Timer 2000 and have no problems with it, but Id like to have the two extra features, too.
                        Does anybody know if there is an instruction how to build the interface ? Actually Im using pins 10-13 and 25 for lapcounting.

Roland

Comment

I have RC running thru a parallel port on XP, with IR sensors, solid state relay and track call button, no other interface.
                          I have not managed to get all the functions to work using any sort of adapter,they all give problems with RC, but are OK with Trakmate and its own interface board.

What type of sensors are the Carlson ones? Have you tried " inverting " sensors in set up? Are you sure the correct pins are activated in setup?

Comment

SensorTrak uses IR emitter/detector pairs that look across the slots, so the settings that you need to use would be the same as for a light bridge with IR emitters and IR sensors in the track.

Comment

There is some good news for SensorTrak users. The SensorTrak can be plugged directly into a Trackmate interface unit. The interface unit must be connected to a computer with a serial port. For computers that only have USB ports the serial to USB adapter that Trackmate sells works well, I have one in fact. Ultimate Racer 3 and Race Coordinator both work with the Trackmate hardware.

Comment

Working...
                              X