No announcement yet.

Help to hook up Track Relay

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am using Arduina and 5v opto-isolated relays on 3 different tracks currently. My background is in electrical as well.

VCC must be connected to +5v from the arduino. This is the only way to make the opto-switch activate. You have +5v and in1,2,3, or 4 to operate those lights. The Arduino switches the negative side of the circuit, therefore the ground is not needed to make the LEDs in the opto-switch working. The relays can be powered by this same +5v from the arduino if you like, though as was stated earlier... You may get interference from it. If you are using the arduino to power the relays, the GND needs to be connected to the arduino and the jumper must be on VCC and JD-VCC. If using an external supply, you would connect the external +5v to JD-VCC and 0v (negative) to GND.

I'll try to upload a picture when I get to my computer.

Comment

Thanks k0z0oo1, appreciate your insights given your background

If you look at our current diagram, the custom hardware harness we bought that comes off the Arduino has no + to link into the relay board's VCC. So opto-isolation isn't really going to happen for us.

What I am concerned with if with we MUST have a (+) line in the custom harness that MUST connect to the relay board VCC.
      Note, we need to power our power relay separately as the Arduino is being powered by a USB cable from our computer which is only effective for powering 2 (not all 4 of the relays).

Have a look at our current diagram, it corrects depicts what what the arduino harness has off it (4 sets of pigtails; each pigtail is a ground and colored wire that will hook into IN1...4). I think the rest is fairly self-explanatory.....or maybe not

Thanks all!

Comment

As far as the USB not having enough current to activate the relays, it actually does... I do have the USB power (+5vdc) activating all relays on all 3 of my tracks, two are 4 lane, one is 3 lane. I am using the same realys as you, SRD-05V-SL-C. The maximum nominal current dray for the coil of these relays is 89.3 mA. that is .0893 A. 4 relays makes it 4 x 89.3 mA = 357.2 mA or .03572 A. Smartphones charge on USB at 2.1A, or 1A if an older USB port. Either way, more than enough power for the relays.

As far as opto-isolation.... I did not have the boards and Race Coordinator in front of me at the time, and my memory was not correct. You do have the proper connection from the Arduino to the Relay board. All the grounds should be equal potential.
        The Arduino switches the negative side of the circuit, therefore the ground is not needed to make the LEDs in the opto-switch working.
        In the RC sketch, the Arduino does actually activate 5v on In1,2,3,4 to turn on the opto-switch. This is where my mistake came in.

You do need to connect the negative of the external power supply to GND and the positive to JD-VCC. In my testing, with my hardware... I was able to operate the relays without connective VCC to my arduino, and having the external 5v on JD-VCC and the negative on GND.

Was your custom harness designed for this relay board, or is it a generic harness for individual relay boards? Whatever the case, you should only need 1 GND connection from the Relay boards to GND on the arduino.

Comment

Thanks! So what I think I hear you saying is that for the external positive power supply connection to the relay board and lack of a VCC connection from Arduino to relay board is all good :-)

On the USB power, it is powering our Arduino, so I'm not convinced it could power that plus the relay board, but I agree it could probably power the relays on its own.

Yes, this harness was custom designed for us, but I guess we'll just jump the harness GNDs to the relay GND then.

So, correct me if I'm wrong here, but looking at our last diagram - we should be good to go with our approach then, right?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

It does appear to be correct. Everything looks to be in Order. Get it hooked up, and have fun running laps!

Comment

Thanks! And a big thanks to everyone who imparted their advice - this is what makes SCI great.

Our track owner is headed out of town for a week, so we'll be gathering up the req'd TB strips etc to do it as soon as he's back :-).

You can follow along as we put it all together over on our build thread:

http://www.slotcarillustrated.com/po...ad.php?t=82790

Cheers, eh!

Comment

WE ARE THE BUILDERS OF THE CUSTOm CABLES AND USB SYSTEm

Tom VIASUE.com & RACE COORDINATOR.net would like to say thank you for recognizing everyones help and advise with your project via SCI. community...thanks Y'all from Viasue & RC !!

You are now well on your way to understanding and implementing the advance call button and power relay connections we provided you for VIASUE'S & RACE COORDINATOR's HYBRID PLUG & PLAY USB System that both Viasue and RC designed and provided for you and others enjoyment.

We hope your efforts here help other people with like projects. You are very welcome Tom and you are correct SCI is the best thing going for social slot car support this is one of the reasons why VIASUE is listed under manufacturer's direct forum.

We at Viasue.com and RaceCoordinator.net would like to invite all comers to visit our sites to see what is new and unique about both of our sites, services and custom plug&play offerings offered and found at VIASUE.com and supported by and at racecoordinator.net a great web site with the best video tutorials I have ever seen....

Thanks Dave your in our book and thanks for all of your time and efforts to support our joint business and slot hobby efforts
                AND AS AN ONLINE COMMUNITY::Lets not forget Race Coordinators charitable contributions to very sick and perhaps dieing children. Who are being supported by so many who can afford to contribute. AND of course the same causes supported VIA your and my joint efforts to provide Plug & Play USB Solutions hence creating additional contributions. Including My thanks for contributions from like minded folks in the slot community who have donated or have not donated just yet to your well intended and kind charity program...Simply Stated "Brilliant"

Attention all track owners Go VIASUE & RC you cant loose !!
                Last edited by VIASUE; 12-04-2014, 02:26 PM. Reason: To Bring Attention to RC's Charitable Efforts VIA Aid & Kind Contributions

Comment

Originally posted by Giddyup View Post

On the USB power, it is powering our Arduino, so I'm not convinced it could power that plus the relay board, but I agree it could probably power the relays on its own.

Yes, this harness was custom designed for us, but I guess we'll just jump the harness GNDs to the relay GND then.

So, correct me if I'm wrong here, but looking at our last diagram - we should be good to go with our approach then, right?

All looking good hope it works ok, I wasn't sure about having nothing connected to the vcc, but if the current draw on in1-4 is < 20ma you should be ok. Be worth having viasue confirm how much power is being drawn on the board as a whole.

I'm sure you were going to anyway, but make sure any unused wires are connected and not left dangling to pic up noise.

Have fun.

Comment

SlingShotX your info has been real close to right on dead center a bit left or right of center of our opinions or Methods but other wise very helpful and More important correct:>). You are correct, Especially concerning the boards power ranges...a 4way relay could be run off of the board, possibly up to 8 If their is little lifting required by the power relay, or back up power.

There are several reasons why 5vdc and its ground where not taken from the arduion and Made available to the user...Mostly just because we dont like that design / sharing, we like using that usb or onboard 5vdc for our system / design needs and for international users who dont have 110vac so again hog it for our reasons and greater user benefit to the Most users possible and because we like to isolate loads and resources when ever possible which helps in ways you bring up and other ways that help us as the builder and for Making trouble shooting easier due to isolation and that Means not sharing resources any More than is required.

By not providing 5vdc and it associated ground our design cant be worked around...like in by passing a jumper on the power relay which is ok ....but.... does reduce board function on the vcc side...as well the jumper is there again to isolate for service or other testing reason the two power relay circuits...and its kind of nice to have vcc in play because it helps to confirm board function via led lights and or other signal uses, voltage testing etc....so why not share the walwart with vcc OR Not We left that as a user option but took away the option to connect to the micro processor board.

The pin in leads can be tested with a volt meter to determined by touching the color wire to the red meter lead and touching the white ground wire to the black lead of the meter then toggle RC relay icons in the software and you will see 5vdc on each pair as tested...that is how you prove the control and or trigger voltage is in play and working to that point in the circuit etc etc :>)
                    Last edited by VIASUE; 12-04-2014, 03:47 PM.

Comment

Active high &amp; active low dc power relays

Originally posted by Slingshotx View Post
                      All looking good hope it works ok, I wasn't sure about having nothing connected to the vcc, but if the current draw on in1-4 is < 20ma you should be ok. Be worth having viasue confirm how much power is being drawn on the board as a whole.

I'm sure you were going to anyway, but make sure any unused wires are connected and not left dangling to pic up noise.

Have fun.
                      HERE IS A LINK TO A YOUTUBE VIDEO THAT SHOWS HOW TO WIRE A RELAY THAT IS AN ACTIVE LOW RELAY = 0VDC / GROUND WIRING TO 1IN , 2IN 3IN AND POSS TO VCC ....NOT GROUND TO GROUND

ALL THE EXAmPLES ON THIS POST SO FAR ARE SPEAKING TO RELAYS THAT SWITCH USING AN ACTIVE HIGH = 5VDC ON 1IN, 2IN , 3IN, ETC WITH GROUND TO GROUND

VIASUE
                      Builders of USB ready Plug & Play right out of the box Lap timers and custom cable services
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJNUe65BVM0&sns=em
                      Last edited by VIASUE; 12-21-2014, 07:21 PM. Reason: provided link to :: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJNUe65BVM0&sns=em

Comment

Working...
                      X