Will this create a problem?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will this create a problem?

I'm putting together a layout using the 1/24 scale 3 lane Scalex track, and will be using PC Lapcounter for race management. Using DS300 unit(s) to count laps/time and feed that info to PC Lapcounter. Have tested and all works fine using dead strips.

I'd like to also set up my TrikTrax to count laps/times for display purposes only. Far more visible than the DS units for drivers and spectators, but it can't be used to send the signals to PC lapcounter.

My question is what problems, if any, will be caused if I connect TrikTrax and the DS units to the same dead strips? They both have low voltage power supplies, so I don't know if essentially doubling up on the current through the dead strips would cause problems for either TT or DS.

I am not sure about your situation, but my track originally had dead strips connected to a TrikTrax. When I got Trackmate I discovered that if they were both connected to the dead strips at the same time niether system would work. I wanted to keep the TrikTrax as a backup, so I have switches to connect the dead strips to one or the other.

Comment

Originally posted by RichD View Post
      I am not sure about your situation, but my track originally had dead strips connected to a TrikTrax. When I got Trackmate I discovered that if they were both connected to the dead strips at the same time niether system would work. I wanted to keep the TrikTrax as a backup, so I have switches to connect the dead strips to one or the other.
      This is helpful, Rich, thanks.

I'm also thinking it would be nice to have the TrikTrax on hand as a backup, so I think I'll just hook up an extra set of 'pigtails' to the deadstrips, to connect the TrikTrax if my PC Lapcounter goes down.

BTW, for those with 3 lane tracks. the four wire harnesses used for hooking up lights on a trailer (boat or car) are great to use for both lap counters and power taps...3 wires for 'power' or 'lap counting', the fourth for the ground/common. Makes fast hookups a breeze.

Comment

Having a backup is a wise precaution if you are going to hold formal races on your track. If you ever had a problem with Trackmate and you switched to the TrikTrax and that did not work either you would know that you had a connection problem of some sort. That happened to me and I found that shorts had developed between the dead strips and the powered track rails, in several lanes the whole track was a dead strip! My MaxTrax does not have guard strips, neither the TrikTrax or Trackmate require those.
        I got ambitious and put the switches in a box with barrier strips for all of the connections, I can switch between the two systems in a few minutes. The only hitch with switching the wires is that if you were in a rush you might misconnect something.

Comment

Working...
        X