Drag Race Coordinator

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drag Race Coordinator

The first version of Drag Race Coordinator has been released.

http://www.racecoordinator.net/dragrc.html

Much to do, please let Dave know if you have any suggestions. He would prefer input posted to the SlotForum Race Coordinator sub forums.

Happy Drags,

Paul

Is anyone using this yet? I'm kinda keen to setup a drag track now I have tried it. Just after opinions on this software?
    Cheers Mike

Comment

Your timing is perfect.

Guess what I finished this week?

A 20.625 foot 1/32 scale 1/8 mile Wood Portable Drag strip.

Arduino Mega timing with 7 sensors per lane, Scale trees to come later.

Did I mention Bluetooth?

Paul

Comment

Cool Paul, what is your early impression?
        I'm in the process of setting up RC with an arduino Uno and after trying Drag racing last month am keen to try and build my own drag track.
        What are the seven sensors per lane?
        Is a mega required or will the uno do?
        Track looks good

Comment

Drc

Hi Mike, DRC runs well but is still under development. The sensors are a# follows;

Pre-stage
          Stage
          Start
          60 foot
          330 foot
          Speed trap 66 feet long before Finish line
          Finish line 660 feet

The track is 3/8” MDF, a decision that was made before I had read DRS Track building suggestions to use a minimum of 3/4” MDF and I quickly learned why. The track warped a fair bit, but I know it will work fine.

I am using modified “LM393 Speed Sensor Detection Speed Module For Arduino” from Banggood.
          These can be bought at good prices and plug directly into the Arduino boards
          But I have been modifying the mounts depending on the use.

You might run out of I/O pins, I chose the Mega because I also want scale led trees later.

Read all of to docs for the Uno you may be able to reassign some pins.

The Bluetooth works well but you will need a programming module to setup.

Paul

Comment

Arduino Code and Wiring Diagram

Paul,

Have been researching this same idea. Whipped together a Carrera strip last night.

My 9 year old is enjoying comparing cars. I would like to get to the timing level.

Care to share your arduino code and wiring diagram?

TRU

Comment

Hi Tru, the Arduino code is by Dave of Race Coordinator and it works with RC only. So you would upload the Arduino sketch from RC to the board. Wire all of your hardware, most Arduino components have +,-and signal connections. Set the sensors up in track set up and test.

If you are new to Arduino you might want to check out their site as all of the software libraries and IDE (for uploading and editing) are there.
              Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Double Naught View Post
                Hi Tru, the Arduino code is by Dave of Race Coordinator and it works with RC only. So you would upload the Arduino sketch from RC to the board. Wire all of your hardware, most Arduino components have +,-and signal connections. Set the sensors up in track set up and test.
                Paul
                Thanks for advising that Arduino code is provided by Dave. Does he provide a wiring diagram of Arduino. Was not able to find that info on site. Perhaps I need to dig deeper.

What about the hardware? Is that sold as a kit by Dave or something you put together your self.

TRU

Comment

Viasue does lap counters for circuit racing and uses Dave’s Arduino software and RC. With Drag Race Coordinator it uses the Arduino sketch with an Arduino Uno or Mega. My goal is to use off of the shelf components (Arduino spec) which makes wiring easy.
                  How many sensors and light do you want? I’m using a Mega for my prototype, which gives 50 some sensors and lights.
                  Paul

Comment

Not sure what you mean by light. Are you talking about Race Tree lights?

I have the arduino mega 2560

But would like to start with Start/Finish sensors to gave a time to compare cars. This is assuming the sofware the catches the start and finish from the sensors and displays in the software. Not familiar yet with the software as I am in research phase that logically makes sense within budget.

Running off a Carrera BB Digital 132.

TRU

Comment

Yes, I meant Xmas tree lights or win lights. You need a Pin for each light or sensor. For a two lane track with start(red light) and finish sensors you just need 4 of them.
                      Paul

Comment

Yes, I meant Xmas tree lights or win lights. You need a Pin for each light or sensor. For a two lane track with start(red light) and finish sensors you just need 4 of them.
                        Paul
                        I just set up my Arduino for RC and only use one pin to control my start lights, I dont see why the xmas tree couldn't be controlled by one pin too?

Comment

What are others using for sensors for their drag strips?

Comment

Hi Mike, good question. I’m not sure if DRC supports the extended protocols like RC for neopixels. That would make the wiring easier. I’ll see what I can find out.
                            As for sensors, most seem to be using a gantry mounted ir led and ir sensor in the track. I wanted a clean top if possible and was hoping they would work in full sun. Initial testing went well with no errors.
                            Paul

Comment

Hi Mike, good question. I’m not sure if DRC supports the extended protocols like RC for neopixels. That would make the wiring easier. I’ll see what I can find out.
                              As for sensors, most seem to be using a gantry mounted ir led and ir sensor in the track. I wanted a clean top if possible and was hoping they would work in full sun. Initial testing went well with no errors.
                              Paul
                              Hi Paul,
                              It certianly would simplify the wiring .
                              I've used reed switches for my track sensors in my maxtrax road course. Tested and trusted I am happy that they can handle the task there. I am thinking of ordering another sensor section to fit a pit section in and rather than just one track piece might add in a dragstrip too. I'm not sure whether reeds will activate quick enough for a drag strip given the accuracy required or if it would even make a difference.
                              I need to know in advance to order the track with the require recessesfor reeds
                              I have only a little bit of experience with the IR sensors and none of it good
                              Happy to hear other opinoins though before I order again.
                              Cheers,
                              Mike

Comment

Working...
                              X