No announcement yet.

F1 Silly Season, or looking at 2019

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay, a couple more seats are confirmed.
    Williams will add George Russell, soon to be 2018 F2 champion.
    RPFI will keep Sergio Perez.

With Perez and Kvyat on competing teams, the midfield battles could get rather "impactful", in my opinion.

Comment

Heck, Perez seems to spend most of his time impacting with his own team mate!

Comment

Fernando Alonso

There's a great 5-part series by Andrew Benson, here. F1 is losing a terrific competitor.

Comment

I think 2 titles, when you look at all aspects of Alonso, is about right.

I suspect many will think the triple crown he is now chasing significant, but I am not in that group.

Comment

Originally posted by NicoRosberg. View Post
            I think 2 titles, when you look at all aspects of Alonso, is about right.

I suspect many will think the triple crown he is now chasing significant, but I am not in that group.
            The triple crown is historically significant due to its rarity. None of the three races is easy to win. But the way the LM24 rules were this year, actively preventing any other cars from competing with the Toyotas, Alonso's win there was quite diminished in my opinion. It's still an accomplishment, but all they really had to do was finish and beat their other team car.

Comment

I think the 500 is diminished too, compared to past eras.

The whole thing is a bit unedifying, as has been FA's digs at F1. We all know if he was in the Merc he would be happy with F1 and not even thinking about the triple crown.

I will miss Vandoorne more, and I hope he comes back.

Comment

Originally posted by NicoRosberg. View Post
                I think the 500 is diminished too, compared to past eras.
                Not sure why you would say that, it's always a great spectacle and far harder to predict the winner than many F1 races.

Comment

The field does not have as much talent and depth of talent as past eras.

Entertainment is not an indicator of that, nor is 'spectacle'.

Comment

Indy 500 is still a great event, any way you look at it!

The field does not have as much talent and depth of talent as past eras.
                    In your opinion ...

Separately, I'm also puzzled by this:
                    The whole thing is a bit unedifying, as has been FA's digs at F1. We all know if he was in the Merc he would be happy with F1 and not even thinking about the triple crown.

I will miss Vandoorne more, and I hope he comes back.
                    For sure, drivers in the top team generally seem happy - who wouldn't, in their position? But an underlying theme of Benson's articles is that Alonso seems always to have been moving on to less green pastures and that must be rough when you have the talent that he does. The kind of talent that's shown when you can more than quadruple the points of your team-mate, in the same car, on the same tracks, in the same races. Frankly, two or three years down the road, I think we'll have forgotten all about drivers like Vandoorne or the other bottom feeders (probably they'll all be driving some kind of GT car at LeMans, if they're lucky).

Comment

I won't of forgotten about Vandoorne in 10 years, just as have not forgotten Jan Lammers.

Much of the roughness FA has experienced is self-inflicted.

I find his pursuit of the triple crown kind of grubby. I guess the idea is that he can say that although he only won two F1 titles, at least he won the triple crown. I think it a very poor consolation.

Comment

Meanwhile, on a more objective note, we have further analysis from Andrew Benson about the upcoming season. This is worth reading.

Comment

The 'state of play' in F1

FIA and F1 chiefs have opted to increase the span of and simplify the front wing, to make it less susceptible to ‘dirty air’ coming off the car in front and more focused on downforce generation. The hope is that this, along with a wider and deeper rear wing, will promote closer racing, which in turn will increase opportunities for overtaking.

“Until the cars run, we don’t know what solutions they have made, but from predictions, we’re achieving about 20% improvement,” says Brawn. “So we’re about a quarter of the way there to where we think we could be. But it’s not a one-stop shop in the sense that you do this and then you don’t touch it anymore.”
                          Good article on the Official F1 site, here.

Comment

January 3rd

Micheal Schumacher's 50th, and there's a good podcast with Ross Brawn on the F1 site, here.

Comment

Daytona 24

Another great achievement for Alonso, yesterday!

[YOUTUBE]Uah7fPo9-XM[/YOUTUBE]

Comment

We'll maybe need a new F1 Thread for the 2019 season, but meanwhile here's an interesting piece on Sauber, now known as Alfa Romeo Racing.

Comment

Working...
                                X