X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DrumPhil
    started a topic F1 Silly Season, or looking at 2019

F1 Silly Season, or looking at 2019

Plans and announcements are already well underway for 2019. We might as well have a place to discuss it.

The latest news - not surprising - is that Vandoorne will be replaced by Lando Norris at McLaren. Norris will be Sainz's teammate, as Carlos is replacing Fernando. That makes for a pretty young team in the papaya orange cars. Will they be competitive?

Max and Pierre will be a fairly young team at Red Bull, too. Will Max act like the mature veteran of the team?

What is going to become of the midfield merry-go-round? Who will be at Force India/Racing Point? (Will Stroll make it "Racing Pointless"?) Haas? Williams? TR? Will Team Stallion keep Kimi or go for the young blood of Leclerc?

Will Russell earn an F1 ride by winning F2? Or will Mercedes keep him locked up in the paddock?

• DVD3500
    replied
    At Hockenheim he had a chair reserved for him in race control... so sad to know it will never be used again...

Leave a comment:

• NCSS
    replied
    Originally posted by Wet Coast Racer View Post
    Sad news about Charlie Whiting, here.
    His sudden death is utterly stunning and a real blow to F1. A pulmonary embolism, how tragic. From what I read he was very well respected by drivers and others in the sport.

Leave a comment:

• Wet Coast Racer
    replied
    Sad news about Charlie Whiting, here.

Leave a comment:

• Wet Coast Racer
    replied
    Formula 1 - Drive to Survive!

Now on Netflix, eh?

Leave a comment:

• DrumPhil
    replied
    I think almost everyone would be happy to see Alfa Romeo fighting at the front of the midfield (at least) with Kimi at the wheel. Him trundling around at the back of the grid would be as sad as Alonso in the poor McLaren.

We already know the likely top three and their finishing order, same as last year. But here's hoping we don't have any teams in the dumpster this year, and everyone has reasons to feel competitive.

BTW, who thinks Rich Energy is a legitimate company? Anyone? And if not, what will be the impact on the Haas team?

Leave a comment:

• Wet Coast Racer
    replied
    We'll maybe need a new F1 Thread for the 2019 season, but meanwhile here's an interesting piece on Sauber, now known as Alfa Romeo Racing.

Leave a comment:

• Wet Coast Racer
    replied
    Daytona 24

Another great achievement for Alonso, yesterday!

[YOUTUBE]Uah7fPo9-XM[/YOUTUBE]

Leave a comment:

• Wet Coast Racer
    replied
    January 3rd

Micheal Schumacher's 50th, and there's a good podcast with Ross Brawn on the F1 site, here.

Leave a comment:

• Wet Coast Racer
    replied
    The 'state of play' in F1

FIA and F1 chiefs have opted to increase the span of and simplify the front wing, to make it less susceptible to ‘dirty air’ coming off the car in front and more focused on downforce generation. The hope is that this, along with a wider and deeper rear wing, will promote closer racing, which in turn will increase opportunities for overtaking.

“Until the cars run, we don’t know what solutions they have made, but from predictions, we’re achieving about 20% improvement,” says Brawn. “So we’re about a quarter of the way there to where we think we could be. But it’s not a one-stop shop in the sense that you do this and then you don’t touch it anymore.”
    Good article on the Official F1 site, here.

Leave a comment:

• Wet Coast Racer
    replied
    Meanwhile, on a more objective note, we have further analysis from Andrew Benson about the upcoming season. This is worth reading.

Leave a comment:

• NicoRosberg.
    replied
    I won't of forgotten about Vandoorne in 10 years, just as have not forgotten Jan Lammers.

Much of the roughness FA has experienced is self-inflicted.

I find his pursuit of the triple crown kind of grubby. I guess the idea is that he can say that although he only won two F1 titles, at least he won the triple crown. I think it a very poor consolation.

Leave a comment:

• Wet Coast Racer
    replied
    Indy 500 is still a great event, any way you look at it!

The field does not have as much talent and depth of talent as past eras.
    In your opinion ...

Separately, I'm also puzzled by this:
    The whole thing is a bit unedifying, as has been FA's digs at F1. We all know if he was in the Merc he would be happy with F1 and not even thinking about the triple crown.

I will miss Vandoorne more, and I hope he comes back.
    For sure, drivers in the top team generally seem happy - who wouldn't, in their position? But an underlying theme of Benson's articles is that Alonso seems always to have been moving on to less green pastures and that must be rough when you have the talent that he does. The kind of talent that's shown when you can more than quadruple the points of your team-mate, in the same car, on the same tracks, in the same races. Frankly, two or three years down the road, I think we'll have forgotten all about drivers like Vandoorne or the other bottom feeders (probably they'll all be driving some kind of GT car at LeMans, if they're lucky).

Leave a comment:

• NicoRosberg.
    replied
    The field does not have as much talent and depth of talent as past eras.

Entertainment is not an indicator of that, nor is 'spectacle'.

Leave a comment:

• Wet Coast Racer
    replied
    Originally posted by NicoRosberg. View Post
    I think the 500 is diminished too, compared to past eras.
    Not sure why you would say that, it's always a great spectacle and far harder to predict the winner than many F1 races.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X