F1 2019 - A Whole New Season. Albert Park, Melbourne Australia

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F1 2019 - A Whole New Season. Albert Park, Melbourne Australia

Here we go again folks, and I'm pretty cranked. Should be a lot more competitive, particularly in the midfield. I'm anticipating Alfa Romeo and Renault drivers somewhere on the podium as the season progresses. I also anticipate Verstappen and Vettel getting in a snit, quite often.

Here's a nifty item from James Allison at Mercedes, with some thorough information on the aerodynamic changes that have been made and the rationale behind them.

Also at this time, I think it's appropriate to read this Charlie Whiting obituary. His untimely death has truly shocked everyone in the paddock.

Comment

I watched P2 early this morning. Hooray F1 is back!!!
      Ferrari seems slow. We'll see if it is sandbagging or not in Qualifying.

Comment

That race was sort of like watching a clubbing. To have a pit stop in hand over the world champion was boring but still amazing. I want to see another close racing season like last year but Mercedes looked so strong all weekend Ferrari and Red Bull may need a new approach.

Comment

Originally posted by MT Tam I am View Post
          . I want to see another close racing season ....
          Lots of other racing series provide that, TCR, BTCC, Caterham, WEC (Pro GT) and Formula E <- The last 3 races were all decided in the last few laps/minutes... there is another one on this Saturday...

Comment

Melbourne often seems to provide more questions than answers, in terms of how the season is going to proceed. Those Ferraris are going to have to do better in Bahrain. Great to have things off and running again!

Comment

Apparently Lewis' car suffered floor damage. This explains why he could not match the pace of the sister car. Ferrari has work to do. Red Bull Honda looked good.

Comment

Originally posted by Maddman View Post
                Apparently Lewis' car suffered floor damage. This explains why he could not match the pace of the sister car. Ferrari has work to do. Red Bull Honda looked good.
                Red Bull was second best for sure but still could not pass LH with a damaged floor (thank you for news). I still hoping for an exciting (close) season. Hooray F1 is back.

Comment

Anyone signed up for the F1 fantasy league?

Comment

Well I like watching F1 just for the spectacle of it. In No other form of racing I know of where one team wins every race it seems. Something big time wrong going on. Ferrari and rest of the teams cant be this bad.

Comment

Originally posted by indybob007 View Post
                      Well I like watching F1 just for the spectacle of it. In No other form of racing I know of where one team wins every race it seems. Something big time wrong going on. Ferrari and rest of the teams cant be this bad.
                      Well thankfully, today's practice sessions put Ferrari way out in front. So somebody figured something out. I reckon Q3 will be well worth watching tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by indybob007 View Post
                        Something big time wrong going on. Ferrari and rest of the teams cant be this bad.
                        That is because it is one of the few forms where the cars are not customers cars, and the budgets and other resources are huge. There is nothing 'wrong', what you see is the inevitable consequence of those facts.

Last season was epic, and if Honda can find just a few more horses, this season could be cracking too.

Ferrari under-performed in Oz, I think what we saw yesterday is their true level. They should sweep both titles this year. But then, they should do so every year.

Comment

How are you guys watching the live feeds? I've stopped following F1 because the networks have made it extremely hard to watch. I'd love to be able to tune in again, without it costing me my right arm! Any info you can provide on the network, channel, etc. so I can watch with you all would be greatly appreciated!

Comment

It's getting sporadic on my side of the big pond. My digital cable package - with extra paid for more Sports (basically because I'm an F1 fan) was hit and miss throughout the previous season; some weekends I could enjoy the whole Skye package throughout the weekend, others maybe a delayed broadcast of qualifying and the race.

Australia was great, we got Qualifying and the Race broadcast live on the same package. This weekend, I'm jammed. I would have to pay my cable supplier even more money for a bigger package to see things live, which is bloody annoying; particularly as we watch very little television except for CBC News, SNL, 60 Minutes, and the occasional PBS show.

So definitely interested in alternate (streaming?) options. On the bright side of things, there's usually some re-broadcast of the race (or a synopsis) to be found on the internet not long after it actually occurred. But I think the new owners of F1 are getting way too greedy; exclusivity involves exclusion, and if that's their game plan then they're very foolish.

Comment

Liberty are experts when it comes to sports rights, it is very much their thing, and why they purchased F1.

Sports have been disappearing behind paywalls for years, and now we are seeing some great dramas and documentaries not only behind them, but from companies that are not even TV stations in the traditional sense. The 'TV' market is undergoing huge and rapid change. We now live in innovation disruption times.

Eventually everything will be streamed and everything will have to be paid for. We are those living through the transition, and those can always be painful.

Because my cell phone, broadband and home phone are also with Sky, I pay 216 a year and for that I get F1 testing live, 21 F1 races live, 21 F1 qualifying sessions live, 63 F1 practice sessions live, 12 F2 races live, 8 F3 races live, some brilliant documentaries, classic F1 races all year around, a mixed-bag of mini pieces on F1 topics past and present, plus some Champcar races live.

At 60p a day, I will take it. I'd pay a lot more in fact, and Liberty know people like me are out there. It is their business, and, in fact, their business model, to know that.

I'd prefer that F1 had remained FTA, but that ship has sailed. Now all I can do is hope it follows the success of the EPL, which is a huge deal.
                              Last edited by NicoRosberg.; 03-31-2019, 02:18 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X