F1 2019 - A Whole New Season. Albert Park, Melbourne Australia

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F1 2019 - A Whole New Season. Albert Park, Melbourne Australia

Here we go again folks, and I'm pretty cranked. Should be a lot more competitive, particularly in the midfield. I'm anticipating Alfa Romeo and Renault drivers somewhere on the podium as the season progresses. I also anticipate Verstappen and Vettel getting in a snit, quite often.

Here's a nifty item from James Allison at Mercedes, with some thorough information on the aerodynamic changes that have been made and the rationale behind them.

• LowlandsRider
    replied
    You can also login to their website and use your browser to stream the race, as long as you have an account.

Leave a comment:

• dazee
    replied
    As far as I am concerned they killed the app and won't get any more $ from me. App now does not work on older devices and the commentary no longer available, You need to stream the race live with their app and that function now from this year not available for my location. Previous year their English commentary was from BBC Radio 5 live, so looked at setting up a VPN to get that broadcast. But they've got it covered there too, the BBC live feed is actually 30 seconds delayed. I think this year has been a giant step backwards on the coverage, at least in my location.

Leave a comment:

• NicoRosberg.
    replied
    It is definitely the future, and the cost is not much for what we get.

Leave a comment:

• DrumPhil
    replied
    I was relatively pleased with F1TV for the second half of the F1 season last year. On FaceBook, F1 advertised a half-price deal for the season right before Barcelona testing, so I signed up for the season for $50. It is better this year from last year. It's easy to watch the practice sessions, qualy and races live, and the replays are available pretty quickly after they finish, in case you're a bit late. Also this year we get to watch complete F2 races and practices/qualy, which is fun. F2 races often have more action than F1, and it's nice to see who might be in line to move up to F1 soon. We don't get all of the SkySports extra coverage shows, but we do get pre- and post-race shows with Will Buxton, so that's good stuff.

Leave a comment:

• NicoRosberg.
    replied
    Yeah, things will improve.

20 years from now the idea F1 was ever free will seem strange.

Leave a comment:

• LowlandsRider
    replied
    Hi Nico,

As far as I know it depends on the language, for English itís the Sky commentators.

In the Netherlands the App is offered in cooperation with Ziggo, one of the biggest providers over here. I guess that I would get the Ziggo comment when I switch to Dutch (which i wonít )

So probably theíve got some kind of deal with the local contractor.

The app offers about the same package that you get from Sky, F1, F2 and F3 free practices, qualifications and races. There is a F1 race preview but I donít know if itís the same as on Sky, probably not. Just donít have the in-depth analyses one has on Sky, but maybe this will change in the future. Itís also has an archive with races from the past although currently far from complete.

Last weekend I watches both F2 races which were very entertaining. Regretfully our local hero Nick the Vries once again showed he is not able to manage these Pirelli tires. A real shame because he is fast enough for F1 but probably wonít make it.

And to answers certain questions: No I donít work for Liberty Media but I do like the app. The stream is not 100% perfect yet and sometimes has hick-ups but I guess they will improve on that.

Leave a comment:

• NicoRosberg.
    replied
    Who are the commentators and other personnel on F1 TV Pro?

Leave a comment:

• LowlandsRider
    replied
    Originally posted by slotbutton View Post
    Anyone signed up for the F1 fantasy league?
    As a matter of fact I did, I am ďrunningĒ a team called Chicken Hawk Racing

Originally posted by dinglebery View Post
    I guess $80 a year directly from F1 TV is not a bad idea then...
    Last year August I visited the Belgium Grand Prix. The same weekend my wife had to go to a wedding (thank god I already bought the tickets for the race).

A daughter of a good friend offered to baby sit the cats, together with her friend. I had my thoughts about this but my wife said it would be fine. So it didnít, wenn I turned on the TV I saw a huge spot with all burned pixels. And that was the end of it, I could bring it to the dump, 5 and a half year old with a 5 year garantee

Since I was the only one using the set we decided to not buy a new TV and cut the cable. The rest of the year I watched the F1 on my laptop using some more or less legal streams

This year the F1 TV Pro became available for the Netherlands so I subscribed. I must say it is very nice, the money well spent. And, for the good felling, I am paying for a legal stream.

Leave a comment:

• NicoRosberg.
    replied
    Bahrain is smooth, like Barcelona, and unlike Oz.

Ferrari badly underperformed in Oz too, today they maxed out their pace.

I thought that Leclerc would take half a dozen races to start schooling Vettel, not two. Impressive.

Leave a comment:

• Wet Coast Racer
    replied
    So what do you reckon changed at Ferrari, that made them so competitive in Bahrain compared to Melbourne?

Separately, although I'm not particularly a Hamilton fan, I thought he was pretty gracious in his comments about Leclerc's performance this weekend, and future prospects.

Leave a comment:

• NicoRosberg.
    replied
    If you can get it in your territory, go for it.

Leave a comment:

• dinglebery
    replied
    I guess $80 a year directly from F1 TV is not a bad idea then...

Leave a comment:

• NicoRosberg.
    replied
    Liberty are experts when it comes to sports rights, it is very much their thing, and why they purchased F1.

Sports have been disappearing behind paywalls for years, and now we are seeing some great dramas and documentaries not only behind them, but from companies that are not even TV stations in the traditional sense. The 'TV' market is undergoing huge and rapid change. We now live in innovation disruption times.

Eventually everything will be streamed and everything will have to be paid for. We are those living through the transition, and those can always be painful.

Because my cell phone, broadband and home phone are also with Sky, I pay £216 a year and for that I get F1 testing live, 21 F1 races live, 21 F1 qualifying sessions live, 63 F1 practice sessions live, 12 F2 races live, 8 F3 races live, some brilliant documentaries, classic F1 races all year around, a mixed-bag of mini pieces on F1 topics past and present, plus some Champcar races live.

At 60p a day, I will take it. I'd pay a lot more in fact, and Liberty know people like me are out there. It is their business, and, in fact, their business model, to know that.

I'd prefer that F1 had remained FTA, but that ship has sailed. Now all I can do is hope it follows the success of the EPL, which is a huge deal.
    Last edited by NicoRosberg.; 03-31-2019, 02:18 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Wet Coast Racer
    replied
    It's getting sporadic on my side of the big pond. My digital cable package - with extra paid for more Sports (basically because I'm an F1 fan) was hit and miss throughout the previous season; some weekends I could enjoy the whole Skye package throughout the weekend, others maybe a delayed broadcast of qualifying and the race.

Australia was great, we got Qualifying and the Race broadcast live on the same package. This weekend, I'm jammed. I would have to pay my cable supplier even more money for a bigger package to see things live, which is bloody annoying; particularly as we watch very little television except for CBC News, SNL, 60 Minutes, and the occasional PBS show.

So definitely interested in alternate (streaming?) options. On the bright side of things, there's usually some re-broadcast of the race (or a synopsis) to be found on the internet not long after it actually occurred. But I think the new owners of F1 are getting way too greedy; exclusivity involves exclusion, and if that's their game plan then they're very foolish.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X