SCI Improvements!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SCI Improvements!

I try to be fair. I'll complain if something upsets me, but I also try to make sure I complement anybody who does a conspicuously good job.

In the case of SCI, I've noticed that the recent reboot has fixed a long-standing issue with posting. That is, the text of posts now gets auto-saved frequently while you are composing it. Not only that, if for some reason you close out SCI before you have finished your post, when you log back in it will prompt you to recover said unfinished post and finish same!

There have been so many posts I (and others!) lost in the previous incarnation of SCI. I (and others) developed the habit of copying text before attempting to post it, in fear it would get lost because I'd taken so long to compose it that SCI had logged me out. And I kicked myself brutally when I failed to do that and lost a sizable bit of work.

So kudos to the Masters of SCI for fixing this long-standing problem!

I still try to copy text before posting -- habits die hard. But it is so nice to have that auto-save!

Ed Bianchi

Thank you Ed, it was a hige task getting SCI Server sorted out and then getting the update implemented. I too like the auto save as I often lost posts in rhe older version of Vbulletin.

Still working on many features and trying to recover more of the old Site with the help of Leaseweb tech.

It will be an ongoing process for quite a while but I am happy that I can now have new member log in working. Members are figuring out the Albums feature and how to post images.

Alan Smith
    SCI Owner.
    www.scaleracing.com
    www.slotcarillustrated.com
    www.facebook.com/scaleracingcenter
    www.132slotcar.us

1-253-255-1807

Comment

So what is with the 'bars' under the poster's name? A few folks have yellow bars filled in, most of us don't. Is this some sort of ranking?

Does this tie in with the descriptor placed under your name (in my case, 'International Racer')? I've always assumed that was based on the number of posts you have made. To my mind, an imperfect way of ranking contributors. A prolific, opinionated poster may not be an authoritative poster.

Are we establishing a system of 'likes'? That might better indicate the contributors who, well, really do contribute.

Could there be a way to flag posts that are particularly useful? For example, Rich Dumas often posts detailed tables related to slotcar tech. It would be good to have a way to find that information easily. Perhaps the flags could be by a system of categories?

Ed Bianchi

Comment

Just posted photo's for the first time on the new forum! I did get an error message but it seems to have resolved itself? Took a screenshot to share!

Screenshot.jpg

Very easy to resize images using Windows 10, a little time consuming but easy to upload.

I'm liking the new forum more and more!

Could there be a way to flag posts that are particularly useful?
        I believe the "Flag" option is for if you want to report a post?
        Last edited by slotbutton; 04-19-2019, 09:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by slotbutton View Post
          I believe the "Flag" option is for if you want to report a post?
          Exactly, I just tested that yesterday - Notifications/Message Centre.

Comment

Originally posted by HO RacePro View Post
            So what is with the 'bars' under the poster's name? A few folks have yellow bars filled in, most of us don't. Is this some sort of ranking?

Does this tie in with the descriptor placed under your name (in my case, 'International Racer')? I've always assumed that was based on the number of posts you have made. To my mind, an imperfect way of ranking contributors. A prolific, opinionated poster may not be an authoritative poster.

Are we establishing a system of 'likes'? That might better indicate the contributors who, well, really do contribute.
            Good questions. I notice that if you click on the Member List, this is apparently the Member's 'Reputation' on a scale of 1-to-10. I have no idea how one acquires a reputation (according to the V-Bulletin criteria, at least) but cannot fail to observe that none of us in this thread have achieved one. (Alan! Darren!! We must try harder!!!) That was a little moderator joke, eh?

I'm sure you're correct in the descriptor assessment - quality, rather than quantity, determine one's uh 'status'.

It all gets a bit silly, really. The last thing we need, in my opinion, is a system of 'likes'; it's entirely subjective. Then again, a prolific, opinionated poster may well be disliked by many ...

Comment

Might be tied to the new "Like" feature at the bottom of every post. If you like a post, go ahead and click that, and we'll find out soon enough.

Comment

Good thinking. Just discovered something else though ... you can't 'like' your own posts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrFlippant View Post
                  Might be tied to the new "Like" feature at the bottom of every post. If you like a post, go ahead and click that, and we'll find out soon enough.
                  NoLike.PNG

Something else that I am unable to do as I do not have a Like button. How is it turned on?

Comment

Now that's a good question. I discovered the same thing when I viewed the site as my alter ego Ecurie O'Nuttin, a civilian SCI Member created for testing porpoises. Will report back if I can figure it out. Meanwhile, I'll give you and the Flippant guy a 'like' and see what changes. I wonder if only Mods can stuff, that would be weird .

Comment

Thank you for the reputation boost. For me 1 like has added 4 reputation points.
                      I would love to reciprocate to help your 2 point reputation but alas no like button.
                      Last edited by Geoff Shannon; 04-19-2019, 09:28 PM.

Comment

I'm not seeing a 'Like' button on most of the posts on this thread.

And me with no bars at all! Doesn't anybody love me?!?

Ed Bianchi

Comment

Ed - A little early in our relationship for love but I would commit to like if I could find the invisible button.

This will have to do.
                          I owe HO RacePro 1 LIKE.
                          ED Bianchi.PNG

Comment

Wow. I wouldn't think to limit likes to moderators, but that appears to be the current situation. I guess I can think of reasons why this might be the default, so I guess it will have to be something discussed if Alan isn't sure what he wants to do about it. But yes, it does look like Reputation is tied to how many Likes a person gets.

Apparently Wet forgot to like my post(s). I'm hurt.

Comment

Originally posted by HO RacePro View Post
                              I'm not seeing a 'Like' button on most of the posts on this thread.

And me with no bars at all! Doesn't anybody love me?!?

Ed Bianchi
                              What he said...where is this "Like" button. Also, what are the little squares under the bars? They (the squares) vary in number from none to 4, that I've seen so far.

Seems nobody likes me either...but I've got one square, whatever that is.
                              Last edited by B52RN; 04-20-2019, 10:25 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X