No announcement yet.

Shanghai F1. 1000 races!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My point was, as with the Indycars, any sport can have dull contests, any sport can have surprises and last-minute happenings.

It is what we do when a dull contest happens that matters. Most sports do nothing, and most fans of those sports are fine with that. American sports often have things wired-in to fix draws, teams running away with the championships etc, and fans of those sports seem to be OK with that.

I'm glad that F1 seems to be looking at friendly aero and budget caps rather than scheduled yellows, double points, balance of performance etc, but only time will tell if that will be enough to keep the forthcoming much smaller but much more hardcore audience happy.

Comment

Formula 1 is and always has been an unfair competition. Money rules and some teams have more funds then other teams. Only when the smaller teams come up with something exceptional the could win races and championships. More recent Brawn F1 with their double diffuser but also when Cooper, I think, was the first team to put the engine in the back.

what I am missing are the battles within the teams. Mercedes was dominant but the fight between Rosberg and Hamilton was a pleasure to watch.

I expect a battle between Vettel and LeClerc, the later one is not going to play the second violin

Comment

Bottas is closer, but most of his gap in Oz was because of floor damage on the other Merc. Generally LH has the Finn covered.

The intra-team battle now switches to Ferrari. After years being well able to handle a well past his prime Kimi Räikkönen, SV has a much sterner test. And surely Max and the Scuderia must be eyeing each other by now
        Last edited by NicoRosberg.; 04-16-2019, 01:04 PM.

Comment

On the same track, Bottas was able to out-qualify Hamilton; he only lost the lead due to a bit of wheelspin off the grid - otherwise, he could very well have dominated the race from the lead (just ask Downtowndeco ... ) thus becoming the first Finn to finish. Meanwhile, that 'past his prime' guy is 7th in the standings in his Alfa Romeo, only a point shy of 6th place Gasly in the Red Bull.

As for LeClerc, he's already shown himself ready to disregard team orders and I reckon he'll do that next time they ask him to give his place to Vettel.

Comment

One's prime is compared to one's best performances.

Kimi is well past his personal prime, which was very high. 2002-2006.

We have no way of knowing what would of happened had Bottas taken the lead, because he didn't. But generally LH has had him covered. He was especially poor last year.
            Last edited by NicoRosberg.; 04-16-2019, 01:10 PM.

Comment

I don't expect Kimi to win another championship in the Alfa Romeo. But he sure isn't done racing competitively, and his experience is massive - that's why he's ahead of the majority of the field. I wonder why you always want to be putting this or that driver down?

And if Hamilton had Bottas 'covered' then he would have got the pole position. Obviously, the eventual outcome is indeterminable, but there's no way that LH would have been able to pass him on the track - in my opinion. Probably in the opinion of many who don't have the #44 car as their avatar ...

Comment

It isn't about titles. Kimi was in his pomp 2002-2006, but won no titles. 2007 and 2008 he was fading a little. He was impressive in the Lotus, but by the time his second career at Ferrari got going he had lost some speed for sure.

I'm not putting him down, I'm just stating he is past him prime. Prime KR would of been pushing Seb much harder, and would not of been sacked. Sacked and replaced by a rookie.

As for LH vs Bottas, since they have been in the same team the former has had his teammate covered more often that not (hence 'generally').

My Avatar has nothing to do with this. I'm also a follower of Bottas. But we saw last year how LH, Danny Ric and Max get stuck in, Bottas was more cautious. We saw he was generally slower than Lewis too.
                Last edited by NicoRosberg.; 04-16-2019, 02:53 PM.

Comment

can anyone remember the last time a leader lost the race in the last couple laps?
                  Formula E Mexico about 8 weeks ago, the Baharain (sic) was essentially that as well, just drawn out over the last few laps. ADAC GT Masters Finale in 2016....

Comment

The main reason I was disappointed is that I ordered the official 1000 poster from the F1 store. It lists the names of every driver who has ever won an F1 race. I was just hoping that the poster would be associated with an exciting 1000th race, which it obviously was not. There remains the usual ongoing F1 dramas to follow, which are interesting.

I am still hoping that somehow another team will rise up to challenge Merc this year, or at least another driver will give Lewis some real competition. If the current rate continues (and statistically it shouldn't), Merc will win the constructors title by almost 400 points. Even Toto doesn't want to see that, as Merc would lose the opportunity to keep whining that they really aren't the dominant car and team. We all know that they are; they should just admit it and stop being coy.

Comment

Originally posted by DVD3500 View Post
                      Formula E Mexico about 8 weeks ago, the Baharain (sic) was essentially that as well, just drawn out over the last few laps. ADAC GT Masters Finale in 2016....
                      I was talking only about an F1 race leader losing the lead in the last few laps. Anyone? I don't recall it ever happening, and I've been watching since the 80's. I'm sure there must have been some examples but I just don't recall any at the moment.

Comment

Nigel Mansell in the Ferrari, Canadian GP ( '89 / '90? )
                        Jack Brabham Monaco 1970

Are two off the top of my head without very much thought.......

Cheers, Tony.

Comment

Originally posted by bov View Post
                          Nigel Mansell in the Ferrari, Canadian GP ( '89 / '90? )
                          Jack Brabham Monaco 1970

Are two off the top of my head without very much thought.......

Cheers, Tony.
                          Thanks.

I googled it. It has happened other times since then, although most of the examples are from the 70's or 80's. From the 2000's on it has been extremely rare.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/motorsp...8d1-1555544700
                          Last edited by downtowndeco; 04-17-2019, 04:48 PM.

Comment

So, it's lucky for LH that VB had a poor start in China.

Cause you can't cover what you can't pass ... eh?

Comment

Since the death of motorport.tv on TV I am pining for all the WEC, and GT coverage on there... Luckily most other series kick off after Easter.,.

Comment

Originally posted by Wet Coast Racer View Post
                                So, it's lucky for LH that VB had a poor start in China.

Cause you can't cover what you can't pass ... eh?
                                Or VB was lucky Hamilton had a poor start in Oz, and floor damage

My point wasn't about specific races though, it was that Hamilton has generally had Bottas covered

2 World titles to none, 23 poles to 7, 22 wins to 4.

Comment

Working...
                                X