Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wet Coast Racer
    replied
    On the same track, Bottas was able to out-qualify Hamilton; he only lost the lead due to a bit of wheelspin off the grid - otherwise, he could very well have dominated the race from the lead (just ask Downtowndeco ... ) thus becoming the first Finn to finish. Meanwhile, that 'past his prime' guy is 7th in the standings in his Alfa Romeo, only a point shy of 6th place Gasly in the Red Bull.

As for LeClerc, he's already shown himself ready to disregard team orders and I reckon he'll do that next time they ask him to give his place to Vettel.

Leave a comment:

• NicoRosberg.
    replied
    Bottas is closer, but most of his gap in Oz was because of floor damage on the other Merc. Generally LH has the Finn covered.

The intra-team battle now switches to Ferrari. After years being well able to handle a well past his prime Kimi Räikkönen, SV has a much sterner test. And surely Max and the Scuderia must be eyeing each other by now
    Last edited by NicoRosberg.; 04-16-2019, 01:04 PM.

Leave a comment:

• LowlandsRider
    replied
    Formula 1 is and always has been an unfair competition. Money rules and some teams have more funds then other teams. Only when the smaller teams come up with something exceptional the could win races and championships. More recent Brawn F1 with their double diffuser but also when Cooper, I think, was the first team to put the engine in the back.

what I am missing are the battles within the teams. Mercedes was dominant but the fight between Rosberg and Hamilton was a pleasure to watch.

I expect a battle between Vettel and LeClerc, the later one is not going to play the second violin

Leave a comment:

• NicoRosberg.
    replied
    My point was, as with the Indycars, any sport can have dull contests, any sport can have surprises and last-minute happenings.

It is what we do when a dull contest happens that matters. Most sports do nothing, and most fans of those sports are fine with that. American sports often have things wired-in to fix draws, teams running away with the championships etc, and fans of those sports seem to be OK with that.

I'm glad that F1 seems to be looking at friendly aero and budget caps rather than scheduled yellows, double points, balance of performance etc, but only time will tell if that will be enough to keep the forthcoming much smaller but much more hardcore audience happy.

Leave a comment:

• downtowndeco
    replied
    While I don't expect anyone to really get out all of the stats to compare, I 'd be willing to guess that the amount of times that a football match has a lead change in the last 5 minutes vs amount of times an F1 leader loses the lead in the last 2 laps isn't even close. I mean, can anyone remember the last time a leader lost the race in the last couple laps?

OK, that's it on F1. I agree we all await positive changes to the series.

I watched the Indycar race yesterday & agree, it was boring.

Leave a comment:

• NicoRosberg.
    replied

Although the outcome of a race may seem set in stone in the first two laps, it isn't over until the flag is waved. Just as football teams can equalize in the 96th minute, cars can develop faults on the last lap. Tiger could of missed that last putt last night. All sport has jeopardy.

I note that the Champcar race yesterday had a runaway winner, and there are already calls to tweak the race format. This in a series often held up as an example of what F1 should do, dumber cars with spec chassis.

More aero-friendly F1 cars are coming, and an attempt at a budget cap. Time will tell if they work, but I will enjoy the racing meantime. Our respective positions probably won't change, and our posts probably belong in the fix thread.
    Last edited by NicoRosberg.; 04-15-2019, 02:25 AM.

Leave a comment:

• downtowndeco
    replied
    "My son goes to see Spurs play quite a bit. The scoreline, the equivalent of an F1 results sheet, can often look dull, 0-0, 1-0 etc, but he will always find things of interest and is loving the new stadium."

The difference is that a 0-0 or 1-0 game is still not decided until the final whistle blows. Up until that last split second, someone could still score. F1 races, as even you admit, are often decided in the first couple minutes of a two hour event. Not rarely, or occasionally, but usually and quite predictably. That's OK, whatever. It just is what it is & I don't expect that will change anytime soon.

Leave a comment:

• NicoRosberg.
    replied
    Football: My son goes to see Spurs play quite a bit. The scoreline, the equivalent of an F1 results sheet, can often look dull, 0-0, 1-0 etc, but he will always find things of interest and is loving the new stadium.

The next game, under the exact same rules, can be a barn-burner, both to watch and to read the scoreline of. 5-4, 4-4 etc. Nothing changed except the other team.

No football fans call for changes after the first game. No making the goal bigger or other stuff.

F1 is mechanical, so the human frailty factor, such as when Spurs have an off game, is lessened. Other major motorsports are mechanical too, but have more artifice and/or less prototypical cars. Add all that up and one gets what F1 is: in terms of lead changes and wins not from pole, low scoring.

(Although pole to wins in 2019 is currently at 0%)

Originally posted by downtowndeco View Post
    I was just glad to see that you at least admitted taht sometimes the races are dull or decided by the end of lap two.
    I have said as much several times before.
    Last edited by NicoRosberg.; 04-15-2019, 02:27 AM.

Leave a comment:

• downtowndeco
    replied
    There were a couple good races last year. The rest kind of fell into the ""The winner race was pretty much decided after the first 2 laps (if not sooner)." That's fine, but I know of no other sport where the winner is decided more times than not after the first 2 minutes of the event. That's most certainly not true of football.

The race started at 12:15 AM here last night. I gave it a half and hour & found, when I woke up, that (as usual) the positions had pretty much remained unchanged.

You're right, we've been over this before, so I'll just leave it at that. I was just glad to see that you at least admitted that sometimes the races are dull or decided by the end of lap two. That's all I was ever saying all along.

Peace.
    Last edited by downtowndeco; 04-14-2019, 04:35 PM.

Leave a comment:

• NicoRosberg.
    replied
    You and I have been over all this before.

F1 is a meritorious sport, which means oftentimes the best car wins. Other series go to great lengths to ensure there is no best car, or the best cars advantage is artificially blunted, so those unhappy with how F1 races often pan out should watch those.

If the artificiality is not one's cup of tea, sticking with F1 is the best bet. Cracking races and close seasons do happen, you have said as much yourself despite your 'sometimes' comment here, and they are all the better to me for being genuine. You just have to be patient, as fans of other sports do. For some reason F1 gets attacked much more than other high-profile sports than can have dull contests, such as football.
    Last edited by NicoRosberg.; 04-14-2019, 10:03 AM.

Leave a comment:

• downtowndeco
    replied
    "Sometimes the contest is dull."

Sometimes?!

"...once an actual race gets to the end of lap 2 it is possible to have a fair idea who will win..."

Ya think? I have a hard time thinking of any other sport where the winner is more times than not decided in the first 2 minutes of a 2 hour event.

Leave a comment:

• NicoRosberg.
    replied
    Originally posted by HO RacePro View Post
    Well sure -- post about the race. But do so in threads specifically about that race, and avoid thread titles and post titles that give it all away. Have pity on the folks who want to watch the race later.

Ed Bianchi
    People who don't know sports results, and want to keep it that way, should stay off media. Fans want to discuss an event as soon as it has finished, and, nowadays, during it.
    Last edited by NicoRosberg.; 04-14-2019, 06:39 AM.

Leave a comment:

• NicoRosberg.
    replied
    Originally posted by DVD3500 View Post
    You don't need to post the results ... anyone with two brain cells can predict how it ended... *yawn*... Formula E was better yesterday. The best racing was the BTCC last weekend...
    The BTCC uses things like reverse grids, mandatory soft tires, success ballast etc to make it 'the best racing'.

Some fans, although I prefer to call them anti-Matt Neal, are still moaning after round 1 that another car that made contact with him was penalized after race 3. The rules have been changed to stop things being such a demolition derby, largely cooked up by artificially manufactured jeopardy, and the drivers engaging in bump and bore when they have the skills to avoid it, but are giving the fans what they demand.

F1 is a totally different beast, but it is not as bad as people tend to make out. Please predict the top 10 for Baku F1 now, race and grid. Do the same for the two races after that please. Fair enough, once an actual race gets to the end of lap 2 it is possible to have a fair idea who will win, but that is to expected when there is no ballast, balance of performance, scheduled yellows, fan boost and so on.

An F1 grid is by-and-large meritocratic, so the race order should reflect that.

But coming into China the expectation, the prediction if you like, was that Ferrari would dominate. Then there was talk on Saturday night of the new, aggressive Bottas 2.0 looking to repeat Australia. None of which was correct. F1 is still unpredictable, just not as the levels of other series, for reasons mentioned.

F1 is not for everyone. Sport is not for everyone. Sometimes the contest is dull. But some F1 races are epic, some seasons the same. And some great fixes are coming soon.
    Last edited by NicoRosberg.; 04-14-2019, 06:36 AM.

Leave a comment:

• HO RacePro
    replied
    Well sure -- post about the race. But do so in threads specifically about that race, and avoid thread titles and post titles that give it all away. Have pity on the folks who want to watch the race later.

Ed Bianchi

Leave a comment:

• DVD3500
    replied
    You don't need to post the results ... anyone with two brain cells can predict how it ended... *yawn*... Formula E was better yesterday. The best racing was the BTCC last weekend...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X