Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tires on wood track

Hello,
    We have a fast wood track( shiny surface) that just opened. I run silicone tires on my cars at home Scalextric track. When I run on the wood track the High rpm cars (revo supra, scaley ford GTE throw tires. They are M--- tra-- brand silicone tires. I have read all kind of things about gluing and have tried all kinds of things with no luck on the silicone. So I don't need to open that pandoras box. Most guys I see run foam tire already glued to the wheel then coated with silicone. Well those work great but... look funky( don't match the car) and limited in sizes. Is there a rubber or urethane tire that will grip as good as silicone does on this track as that compound will glue to rims better. Or is there a rim that comes with tires glued on already other than foam. maybe theres better (tighter fitting) silicone tires out there. Any input welcome.
    wet.
    Last edited by wetspot; 04-16-2019, 03:21 AM.

Hi Wetspot.

Treated Slot-it N22 tyres give great grip on shiny/smooth track and are much nicer to drive than silicone. They are not compatible with silicone however as silicone cleans track but rubber lays down rubber. PG and MJK Urethanes both give reasonable grip but can affect both other types. Suggest you select one and race than exclusively.

NSR rubber good too but I find harder to get right. Supergrips are good on Classics. BRM rubber tyres are also good but I do not know much about them.

Best of luck. Charles Le Breton (charlesx)

Comment

Thanks charlesx got some N22 on the way!! I will be running with the silicone guys tho. Do you glue all your tires that would go on a long fast track?

Comment

If you want decent cornering speed you'll need to glue your tyres or they'll peel off slightly causing the car to chatter badly when cornering.

Comment

Rubber tires work best if the track has been rubberd in. It has been said that silicone tires will remove the rubber and degrade the performance of rubber tires. My club uses only silicone tires, except when we do a proxy race that mandates rubber tires. In that case the track is conditioned with cars running rubber tires and silicone tires are not run until the proxy racing is finished. The upshot is that I am not positive if rubber and silicone tires do not mix well because I have not been able to do the right sort of testing. My experience with rubber tires is that there are often batch to batch variations in rubber tires that can significantly affect their performance, furthermore rubber tires are greatly affected by various conditioners, but that effect can also vary from batch to batch with the same tires. In a club racing situation you would want a level playing field where everyone could get tires with equal performance.
          In the long run you would probably be better off if everyone uses the same type of tire. I test HO tires for Super Tires and I know for sure that silicone tires leave a residue on the track that will coat urethane tires and spoil their grip after a few laps. Rubber tires can also get glazed and lose much of their grip, we have seen that recently in a proxy series that uses only rubber tires. A top finishing car in one race can fall to the bottom of the order in the next race if the tires get glazed.
          If you are having problems with tires coming off of the wheels either you are not using tires designed specifically for the wheels or you need to switch to another make of tire.
          Any sort of tire will perform best if it is glued to the wheel and properly trued. Silicone tires especially are difficult to true. If you do not use the correct truing procedure the tires will not be perfect.
          The truing procedure that I use is included in this article: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzL...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

Hi all. Good comment. Tyres certainly need to be glued and trued. Beauty of N22 is once glued and trued they barely need to be touched. Do not re-sand as you often need to do with NSR and Urethane. A lot of it comes down to your expectations though. Trouble is if one racer does the extra bit all the others need to follow or get left behind.

I find the worst tyres for getting shiny are standard Scaly. They definitely need to be wet sanded at say 9volts before each race day.

To be fair whatever you use racers need to agree on how tyres are to be treated then a reasonably level playing field will result. There will always be some people however who will set up cars better.

Regards Chas Le Breton

Comment

Originally posted by Kevan View Post
              If you want decent cornering speed you'll need to glue your tyres or they'll peel off slightly causing the car to chatter badly when cornering.
              Tanks for the reply. Yep thats what there doing...i got them SOB glued on along with the axle, rims, gear and wheel insert....even to the work bench!

RichD thanks for your input as well..any time a world champ takes the time to tell you something better dang well read it twice!

Comment

If you use rubber tires you will have no control over how people might treat them at home. If you need to sand your tires before every race you will have to replace them more often, replacement tires for OEM plastic wheels are often hard to find. We prefer to use tires that do not need any treatment and have equal batch to batch performance.

Comment

I dont know how the tire stuff is going to work out at the track yet but... what Im seeing is silicone on the 1/32 days and siliconed foam and foam on the 1/24.

Comment

Working...
                  X