Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

F1 - a Baku manhole cover sinks Williams?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F1 - a Baku manhole cover sinks Williams?

There was a piece last week about a Russian investor group trying to buy Williams, since they failed in their bid to acquire Force India. It seems Williams can't catch a break, and have little chance of changing their fortunes. Even the streets of Baku are conspiring against them, with the manhole cover incident in FP1 costing them a chassis and a full practice session. The damage is hard for them to afford, and reportedly this forces them to stop working on upgrades in order to just work on replacement parts.

Will we see the end of the Williams Racing Team this year?

Originally posted by DrumPhil View Post
    Will we see the end of the Williams Racing Team this year?
    Oh, I don't think they'll ever be ready to throw in the towel; too much history there, just like McLaren.

Doesn't say much for the race organizers though; this stuff is all supposed to be checked (along with crash fencing and other safety necessities) before any race cars hit the track.

Comment

History won't save them. It did not save Tyrrell*, Lotus (the real one) or Brabham.

You are right they won't throw in the towel, they may simply run out of money though. The amount of complaining they are doing over the drain cover reveals just how bad things are.

As for that drain cover, yes, it is a bad deal, but the circuits have 1000s of things to check, the drain cover checks alone number over 1000, now and again they mess up.

Baku is a street circuit, so there are lots more things that normal cars are fine with that the F1 cars cannot play nice with.

*Yes, I realise Tyrrell can be linked to present-day Mercedes, but it is tenuous. BAR purchased Tyrrell's entry, then became Honda/Brawn/Merc.
      Last edited by NicoRosberg.; 04-27-2019, 03:29 AM.

Comment

...And then Kubica bins it into the barriers in qualy. They really don't have the money for these repairs. Yes, the Williams family is too proud to simply quit, but sooner or later a negative financial position forces the situation.

The announcers reported that the race organizers did check all the manhole covers on Thursday. They claim that a clip designed to hold down the cover failed. Evidently Baku does not weld them all down like they do in Monaco.

Comment

That one corner where the Williams driver and others hit the barrier is beyond nuts. Like taking a restaurant drive through turn at 110 mph, with foam barriers on either side.

Perrelli should demand a small rebate as that signage is not going to be repaired for the race, and even if it is, it will be destroyed again. Unfortunately for my own person self, which is of course the most important topic, the incidents meant time ran out on my recording and I missed the last bit of Q2 and all of Q3. Somehow, I shall muddle through this weekend. ;-)

Indycar should reach out to recruit Williams, and I'm not kidding or being insulting to either. Williams would add prestige to Indycar, and my own personal opinion, which is of course what is most important, is that Indycar is on an upwards path in the world.

Comment

Originally posted by NicoRosberg. View Post
            As for that drain cover, yes, it is a bad deal, but the circuits have 1000s of things to check, the drain cover checks alone number over 1000, now and again they mess up.

Baku is a street circuit, so there are lots more things that normal cars are fine with that the F1 cars cannot play nice with.
            But when they do mess up, the consequences can be devastating. Safety protocols are paramount, and none of those 300 manhole covers should have been capable of being sucked loose by the cars passing over it.

There's nothing unusual about street circuits, and it's not just F1 cars that need to 'play nice' (whatever you mean by that) as IndyCar and others run on them, with the same potential issues. The background issue here will be all about the safety system in place at Baku, and whether they shouldn't just be welding them down as is usually the case.

Comment

I agree it shouldn't happen, but it does. I did a google and it has happened more than I realized. The Group C one in 1990 at Īle Notre-Dame Circuit was especially bad.

By normal cars I meant road cars, the stuff that will be driving up Neftchilar Prospeckti tomorrow. The streets were designed for those, which means there is more 'furniture' than at a dedicated race track, and more chances for something to go wrong.

Comment

Well folks, what do you reckon?

I must admit, the Baku race was a little boring (apart from Daniel's parallel parking).

At this point though, it look as though we could get a repeat in Barcelona.

Gotta say, Verstappen is having a very solid start. Horner's gotta be pleased with where his guys are on the grid.

Overall though, it seems clear that Bottas has Hamilton covered.

Comment

Lewis has, as I have said, generally had Bottas covered in their time together.

3 wins versus 2 this season

11 versus none at all last season

9 versus 3 in 2017

2 championships vs none

VB has as few wins as Max Verstappen, who came into F1 after him, albeit with a great chance to fix this this season.

Not that it matters to me, I support all three of them, and have done so before they made it to F1.

Comment

Indeed, Bottas has been improving steadily this last while; if his clutch hadn't malfunctioned at the start, Barcelona would have been in the bag too.

Monaco should be good!

Comment

We have no way to know if the clutch was that big a deal, racing drivers have been making excuses as long as there have been racing drivers - and if has no place in F1 anyway, just as it did not with Hamilton's battery yesterday.

Comment

If it wasn't a big deal, I doubt that Bottas would have mentioned it. But hey, we're all entitled to our theories!

I'm starting to think that Lewis may be on track to losing another Championship - to a team mate.

Comment

I think Bottas lost the championship in turn 1 in Spain. Getting squeezed by Lewis and Seb, he could have stuck his foot in it and binned all three of them, sending the message that he won't back down. Instead ... he backed down. That's all Lewis needs to see. Now he knows that Valtteri will look for opportunities, but isn't willing to take the larger risks necessary to truly hold Lewis behind him. I would love to be proved wrong over the course of the season, but I fully expect Lewis to win #6 this year.

Comment

Nah, I reckon Lewis already had the corner won as he turned in - whereas Bottas had to lift and brake when he did just to prevent him from sliding right into Vettel, which wouldn't have done him or the Ferrari driver any good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsWaxYlCbac

Comment

Originally posted by Wet Coast Racer View Post
                              If it wasn't a big deal, I doubt that Bottas would have mentioned it.:
                              Hmmm. Top racing drivers, in fact sports people in general, are hard-wired to believe they are the best. Racing drivers are always making excuses.

Last edited by NicoRosberg.; 05-13-2019, 01:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X