Decal question, inside or outside?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decal question, inside or outside?

I'm getting ready to cobble up a 1975 McClaren Indy Car as driven by Tom Sneava (#68 NORTON Spirit). The body will be lexan. Decals for this car are available, but only in a waterslide format. So now the question is, do I decal the inside or outside of the body for best results and durability. Pros and cons of each? If decaled on the outside of the body, your thoughts/recommendations for a clear coat for durability? Your thoughts are appreciated!

(I've gotten so spoiled by Pattos peal & stick decals. Easy to use and oh so very durable. Unfortunately, they are not available for this livery.)

I would think in this case ,if you wanted to protect the peal and stick decals from damage etc, I would put them on the under side of the clear body and then the paint your color. Based on the stickers I've seen most are overly thicker than a Decal anyway.

Comment

The peal & stick decals hold up very well on the outside of the body. Unfortunately, the only decals available for this chosen livery are waterslide.

The reason for this livery is that I was employed by NORTON Company at this time and was paid to build a 1/8th scale, glow fuel powered, radio controlled model of this car and spend the month of May at the Speedway getting paid for zipping a model car around for most of the day. Great fun while it lasted, 1975 through 1979.

Comment

I've had better luck putting water-slides on the inside. A pro for that, it's more durable under the lexan, than on top!

Comment

Put them on the inside and clear coat before painting the body, this seals the edges against the paint bleeding under the decal.

Comment

Hey guys, I always assumed that waterslide decals only had adhesive on the backside. Is that wrong or are these special decals?
            Randy

Comment

Originally posted by 32lbKING View Post
              Hey guys, I always assumed that waterslide decals only had adhesive on the backside. Is that wrong or are these special decals?
              Randy
              You are correct,.......so, once they slide off the backing paper you turn them over and slide them around on the backing paper to get some adhesive on the "top" side. A bit of MicroSet applied to the inside of the body (where the decals are going) will help them adhere/settle. A mist coat (or by brush) of clear over the decals before painting will ensure no "bleed" from the color coats.

While decals have been applied to both inside and outside of clear plastic bodies since the mid 60's , applying on the inside does have some advantages. The body itself acts as a clear coat, so a clear coat does obviously not need to be applied, which does save some weight, and, offers better protection vs any clearcoat. Additionally, the outside of the body can be cleaned without any fear of upsetting the clearcoat/decals.

Do make sure you use a paint suitable for Lexan.......among many others, Tamiya make a wide range of colours in spray cans. Look for "PS" (polycarbonate spray).

Cheers
              Chris Walker

Comment

Thanks for the explanation and tutorial Chris. I never would have thought of applying them that way, and never knew it was possible.
                Randy

Comment

Working...
                X