F1 2019 - The season continues ...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F1 2019 - The season continues ...

Just finished watching the Friday practice sessions, and it's encouraging to see that Ferrari are in the top spots preceding tomorrow's qualifying.

Maybe we'll get a solid shakeup in the finishing order at the end of the Canadian race?

Friday practice is notorious for not reliably indicating much.

If your happiness about the potential for closer racing or more a break in the Brackley F1 hegemony?

Comment

Indeed, the Friday sessions are no clear indicator of their true potential. But they gotta be a sign of something, eh?

A break in the Brackley hegemony, that's well put. Some actual competition in the competition for F1 glory. Looking at it another way, Mercedes may deserve to be on top (their performance as a team this year has been remarkable) but it would sure be good to see one or two of those red cars leading the way around Ile Notre-Dame on Sunday.

Comment

No, sometimes they are not a sign of anything, because the headline times are not what matter and not what the teams focus on. They become a bigger deal on Saturday morning.

I would not find the red cars running away with it to be 'good'. I appreciate many would, they'd happily replace silver domination with that. There is a great deal of discontent with the current season out there, but I suspect it would be much less were it not Hamilton as main benefactor. He seems to be the most loathed F1 driver in it's history, which is bizarre.

Comment

So, Ferrari tops the speed charts of both FP2 and FP3. Does anyone really think that Merc is that far behind? I expect that when they turn up the engines in qualifying mode, the gap disappears. I would still not bet against Hamilton getting pole.

BUT, it sure would be great to see LeClerc get another pole. Even though Vettel beat him at the end of FP3, I think LeClerc's laps looked cleaner and smoother - easier to do it consistently.

I don't loathe Hamilton, but he has been dominant for long enough that it makes the championship less interesting to watch. A competitive championship offers more tension.

I hope that McLaren have as much speed as it appears; Sainz was fast in FP2 and Norris was fast in FP3. Only three years ago, McLaren were about as bad as Williams are now; it's great to see them return to competitive form.

This track is not easy. Notice how there is a significant gap between drivers in most of the midfield teams. It's not the most good-looking track to a spectator, but it can give interesting racing.

Comment

He lost the WDC in 2016, which still isn't really that long ago. And in the second half of 2013 O N E driver won NINE races consecutively, over FOUR months, and it wasn't Hamilton.

F1 tends to be cyclical, one team is ahead, then another. The change from one to the next makes little difference to our enjoyment, unless one is partisan. Which, of course, most of us are. But a lot of 'fans' try to hide this and say they dislike the current Brackley F1 domination 'for the good of the sport'. The Hamilton loathing is what is really in play. Vettel, Alonso, Max get stick too, but Hamilton gets the most, and it has been that way for a decade.

Comment

Originally posted by NicoRosberg. View Post
              I would not find the red cars running away with it to be 'good'. I appreciate many would, they'd happily replace silver domination with that.
              Not me, I would just like to see Ferrari getting their act together sufficiently to be a more credible threat! Some thrilling competition would be an improvement to the season.

There is a great deal of discontent with the current season out there, but I suspect it would be much less were it not Hamilton as main benefactor. He seems to be the most loathed F1 driver in it's history, which is bizarre.
              I certainly don't loathe Hamilton - he's worked hard for everything he's achieved, while being terrific with the fans, and I admired his astute move from McLaren to Mercedes at just the right time.
              But it does get a bit tedious after a while ... 2016 was more fun, even though he was only scrapping with his team mate.

Comment

He lost the WDC in 2016, which still isn't really that long ago. And in the second half of 2013 O N E driver won NINE races consecutively, over FOUR months, and it wasn't Hamilton.
                Exactly my point: during the Red Bull era, I was tired of Vettel winning so consistently. And now I feel the same way about Hamilton. (I didn't follow F1 during Schumacher's dominance, but would have felt the same about him at the time.) And back in the 1980s when I was a tennis fan, I was tired of Ivan Lendl being so predictably good (and boring). Variety in the winner's circle makes a championship interesting. We like to cheer for underdogs to beat the favorite. It simply is more exciting.

Comment

BTW, congrats to Vettel for Canada pole. With Bottas back on the third row, it limits Mercedes' strategic options in the race. Max will be charging up from P11, and Ricciardo will be a wild card among the leaders for the first couple of laps. This could get quite interesting tomorrow.

Comment

A wild card indeed, wouldn't it be great to see Daniel make the podium tomorrow? I'm sure he would enjoy waving at Max! Strong showing for all the Renault powered cars, should make for a good race.

Comment

Originally posted by DrumPhil View Post

Variety in the winner's circle makes a championship interesting. It simply is more exciting.
                      Up to a point, but sports often thrive when they have a talisman. Golf is the best example, although MotoGP ran it close.

Comment

Boooooo!

Comment

Originally posted by downtowndeco View Post
                          Boooooo!
                          Double boo. But Vettel switching the P1 and P2 signs was epic.

Comment

Vettel kept a position after an error when he should of handed it over. It sucks, but thems the rule right now.

The stuff with the signs made me laugh, but it could of helped cost him his job.

Comment

That Hamilton followed him for 70 laps (with what was apparently a faster car) and couldn't make a clean pass says everything we need to know about F1 these days.

Triple boo. The sport is embarrassing.

Comment

Working...
                              X