No announcement yet.

F1 2019 - The season continues ...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We've all raced someone who had a slightly faster slot car. Their car is faster down the straights, has better grip in the corners and stays in the slot better. Not a lot, but just enough. This allows the guy with the better car to not have to drive way above his abilities every split second, while those trailing him need to be superhuman and perfect to have any sort of chance to beat him. This, of course, means those trailing will be more likely to slip up, which only exacerbates the problem.

Hamilton is an awesome driver & deserves every bit of his success. But it is also my opinion that he has the best car on the grid. His car makes him look good and forces other to drive over their heads, which makes them look bad. Really, it's not that complicated.
    Last edited by downtowndeco; 06-26-2019, 07:53 AM.

Comment

My point being, does anyone really think Hamilton would have won the last 4 races if he was driving Vettel's Ferrari?

Comment

Canada for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by downtowndeco View Post
          But it is also my opinion that he has the best car on the grid. His car makes him look good and forces other to drive over their heads, which makes them look bad. Really, it's not that complicated.
          Except in plenty of races last season, and some in 2017, Vettel has the best car on the grid, yet still ended up looking bad.

Comment

When Red Bull had a vastly superior car, Vettel was the beneficiary. Now that Mercedes has the vastly superior car, Hamilton is. That's pretty much it, IMO.

Comment

Right.

There is a great deal of chat on the ether right now trying to do down Hamilton's stats, ignoring the basic premise that you espouse: That almost every WDC had the best car.

Prost in 1986 is a clear exception, but there are not many.

Comment

I’ll answer it this way. Certainly it is beneficial to have the best equipment. That goes for any form of motor sport racing. Having said that, If LH and Vettel were to race an identical car in race conditions, LH would get better results. Period. Fact. LH is just a better driver, both physically and mentally.

Comment

Fair enough. But I notice that no one is saying that he would have still won the last 4 races.

I'll ask it a different way. Would Vettel have won the last 4 races if he had Hamilton's car? My opinion? I'm not sure if he would have won all 4 of them. But I think he would have won most of them.

Comment

Originally posted by downtowndeco View Post
                    Would Vettel have won the last 4 races if he had Hamilton's car? My opinion? I'm not sure if he would have won all 4 of them. But I think he would have won most of them.
                    I couldn't agree more.

As for the fastest lap time in France, Vettel's next one would have been stunning, only they ended the race.

Comment

• Originally posted by downtowndeco View Post
                      Fair enough. But I notice that no one is saying that he would have still won the last 4 races.

I'll ask it a different way. Would Vettel have won the last 4 races if he had Hamilton's car? My opinion? I'm not sure if he would have won all 4 of them. But I think he would have won most of them.
                      Probably not all four, I'd give LH two of four if he was in the Ferarri. The Ferrari is fast enough, and with LH in the cockpit against Vettel ....... We'd see the same frail Vettel cracking under that pressure driving the Mercedes.

Also, just to reitierate, I wish this wasn't the case with Vettel. Yes, I'm a LH fan, but I want to see epic battles as a F1 fan. And Vettel just up for the task against Hamilton.

Comment

• Originally posted by downtowndeco View Post

He would of won three, losing Canada if we assume a car swap with Hamilton.

But last season? There is chance that Hamilton, in the Ferrari facing Seb in the AMG, would still of ended up champ.

As I said, almost every WDC is won in the best car. So the hypotheticals are kinda moot.

Comment

• Understand that I'm not knocking Hamilton. He is a bang up driver who is deserving of all of his success. What I am saying though is that IMO, that those bagging on Vettel, and who question his talent, are not really being fair. He is driving a car that is a few ticks slower on the clock, racing on tracks which are often difficult to pass on in the best of circumstance, against a type of race car (modern F1 machines) that are also notoriously difficult to pass because of the aero issues. This means that to even have a CHANCE to pass Hamilton, he has to drive beyond the car's capabilities. He is ALWAYS driving over the limit. This being the case, it stands to reason that occasionally he'd put a wheel wrong.

I'll take him trying & crashing once in a while over him simply playing follow the leader, F1 parade style.
                          Last edited by downtowndeco; 06-27-2019, 08:05 AM.

Comment

• Occasionally?

He has made lots of errors, even when in the fastest car. Singapore 2017 was a huge one, the title bid unravelled after that. Baku earlier that year hinted at the mental frailty we now know to be deep-rooted.
                            Last edited by NicoRosberg.; 06-27-2019, 02:26 PM.

Comment

• Oh please, give it a rest. Line up the first 10,000 race car drivers you can find & he'd beat 9,999 of them 9 times out of 10. Is Lewis the
                              better driver? Sure, maybe. But to act like Vettel is crap is just ridiculous. This is a car issue.
                              Last edited by downtowndeco; 06-27-2019, 11:48 AM.

Comment

• So, in the spirit of Bernie's new crackpot ideas to fix F1, here is another one. Drop the driver's championship during the season. Instead, at the end of the season, hold a shootout among the top four point-scoring drivers from the season. Let them each drive 10 hot laps in each car (yes - driving each other's cars!). Their score is their best two laps in each car, all added up. Fastest composite time wins. It's like in slot racing, when drivers rotate lanes to even things out. Since it is after the season ends, there is no problem with rivals getting to test your car. Do it at the final circuit of the season, the day after the race, so mechanics have time to prep the cars. Then we would really see, independent of cars, which driver is the best. And televise it free on the internet for all the world to watch, so it can help build up the fan base.

There, I've solved all of F1's problems!

Comment

Working...
                                X