F1 2019 - The season continues ...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by downtowndeco View Post
    Oh please, give it a rest. Line up the first 10,000 race car drivers you can find & he'd beat 9,999 of them 9 times out of 10. Is Lewis the
    better driver? Sure, maybe. But to act like Vettel is crap is just ridiculous. This is a car issue.
    I never said Vettel was crap.

Are *you* saying that Hamilton has had access to the best car every race 2017-19?

Comment

• So these are compliments?

"In 2017 Vettel has the best car on the grid, yet still ended up looking bad."

"He has made lots of errors, even when in the fastest car. Singapore 2017 was a huge one, the title bid unravelled that. Baku earlier that year hinted at the mental frailty we now know to be deep-rooted."

Comment

• No, but that is a long way from saying he is crap.

He is one of the best racing drivers on the planet.

Are *you* saying that Hamilton has had access to the best car every race 2017-19?

Comment

• When he did he won and when he didn't he didn't always win. Same as Vettel.

Comment

• So, if Hamilton won at times he could not access the best one, then F1 is not always 'a car issue' (Post 104).

Having said that, I can't recall a time when Vettel won on merit during the hybrid era when not in the fastest car. His 13 wins have all been on pace (2017/18) or via circumstances (2015).
            Last edited by NicoRosberg.; 06-28-2019, 12:14 AM.

Comment

• double post

Comment

• Originally posted by NicoRosberg. View Post

I mean that.

One site, a dutch one, and nowhere else.
                Maybe you don’t read enough: https://www.racefans.net/2017/05/02/...one-day-wolff/

it states clearly they were “courting” him but Red Bull was able to offer him a seat.

Comment

• Did any of the big hitters cover it though? Keith Collantine is a fine chap, but not a massive source of news. Data, yes.

Not that it really matters. I don't think either side got serious, for various reasons. If Merc try for him later this year, it won't be because they did or didn't miss out on him twice before.

It will be because he is fast, darn fast. I'm sure his popularity despite actually being Belgian would be a factor too. I don't imagine Bottas does much for them commercially!

I prefer the idea of him in Red, facing Lewis from another team. I think it could be epic, changing-of-the-guard epic, but only if Ferrari sort themselves out. More of what they did today in fact (mind you Max was 3rd, which was also impressive).
                  Last edited by NicoRosberg.; 06-29-2019, 02:04 PM.

Comment

• Well, as fascinating as all of this dialogue is - whether it be what someone said about Verstappen when he was younger, or what someone said about how crappy Vettel is (or not), it's my position as an F1 fan that it's delightful the way the grid has come together in Austria. Never mind how it happened, this is gonna make for some exciting racing, it's gonna be a classic I reckon.

Here's the top ten, for those who haven't been paying attention:

1. Charles Leclerc, Ferrari
                    2. Max Verstappen, Red Bull
                    3. Valtteri Bottas, Mercedes
                    4. Lewis Hamilton, Mercedes
                    5. Lando Norris, McLaren
                    6. Kimi Raikkonen, Alfa Romeo
                    7. Antonio Giovinazzi, Alfa Romeo
                    8. Pierre Gasly, Red Bull
                    9. Sebastian Vettel, Ferrari
                    10. Kevin Magnussen, Haas

Emotions will be high, tyre strategy will be crucial, and there's gonna be some on-track drama throughout much of the race, I reckon.

Speculation: Norris and Raikkonen both have a good chance at a podium finish. Norris, because he's clearly gifted and on an upward spiral, Raikkonen, because he's a clever old dog who'll avoid first-lap mayhem and then settle right in for the long haul - on a track that's clearly 'designed' for the Alfa Romeo cars.

Comment

• How is it designed for them?

Charles will be fast off the line, but vulnerable after, due to being on the softs. Which just adds to the interest.

And Max? Well from there he could do anything from winning at a canter to wiping out 10 cars in turn one - and everything in between

Comment

How is it designed for them?
                        Just a figure of speech - if I'm not mistaken, this is their best qualifying position so far. If I am mistaken, I'm sure you'll correct me.

Anyways, it will be an amazing thing if they all make it through the first lap unscathed. And getting scathed, in Formula 1, is never a good strategy.

Comment

... I'm sure his popularity despite actually being Belgian ...
                          Actually MV is Dutch.

His mother is the Belgium Sofie Klumpen, a gifted kart racer herself. His father is the Dutch Jos Verstappen, former F1 driver. When MV got 18 he had to choose his nationality and guess what he got himself a Dutch passport.

@WCR: it's MVs best starting position but not his best qualifying postion because he qualified third in Monaco as well.

But you are right, I'm looking forward to the race which promises to be exiting!

Comment

• So, for the first 14 races of his F1 career, he was a Belgian, the country he was born in?

Comment

• Originally posted by Wet Coast Racer View Post
                              this is their best qualifying position so far.
                              They have qualified 2nd three times, if you count the BMW years they had one pole position.

Comment

So, for the first 14 races of his F1 career, he was a Belgian, the country he was born in?
                                No, check it yourself. He registered as a Dutch.

Ones nationality has nothing to do with the country where you were born. You can ask that to children from embassy personnel or from expats. What you say is that a child of English parents born in China is a Chinese. I’m sure they will not agree with you on that.

Comment

Working...
                                X