F1 2019 - The season continues ...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wet Coast Racer
    started a topic F1 2019 - The season continues ...

F1 2019 - The season continues ...

Just finished watching the Friday practice sessions, and it's encouraging to see that Ferrari are in the top spots preceding tomorrow's qualifying.

Maybe we'll get a solid shakeup in the finishing order at the end of the Canadian race?

• NCSS
    replied
    We'll never know of course, but the reference was to Dixon holding off his teammate for 15 laps at Mid-Ohio after Dixon's reds had gone off. Those tires were toast! Verstappen is a remarkable talent.

Leave a comment:

• Kevan
    replied
    I doubt Scott Dixon could have done what Max did on those tyres...time is running out for Lewis to match Schumachers 7 titles...Max is getting closer all the time

Leave a comment:

• NCSS
    replied
    It was a fun race to watch. Red Bull seemed to have no good options when Mercedes pitted. I guess they could have called Scott Dixon and asked him how to win on tires that aren't suitable for a crash wall at a kart track....jk Verstappen did everything he possibly could from what I could tell. There was just nothing left.

Leave a comment:

• NicoRosberg.
    replied
    Which is what happens often in F1.

I was on the edge of my seat the whole race, even though it included a lot of that. It made the outcome better in fact. Tension, cat and mouse, then a roll of the dice with a satisfying outcome.

Brilliant.

This was one race where the lack of overtaking you bemoan saved it. Had Hamilton been able to pass via his pace advantage, which both teams put around .15s per lap, he would of done so on about lap 7 and then cleared off. As it was he had to be much more daring, and nearly binned it. Then Merc rolled the dice, and we had what we had.

Brilliant.
    Last edited by NicoRosberg.; 08-05-2019, 12:13 AM.

Leave a comment:

• downtowndeco
    replied
    I'll add this. If Hamilton had caught him with a lap or 2 (or 3) to go and had not been able to pass him, I still would have thought it would have thought of it as an exciting race. My beef is when a guy can only play follow the leader for 20 or 30 laps.

Leave a comment:

• onrecess
    replied
    It was so great my wife was on the dge of her seat... And she couldn't care less about any racing.

Leave a comment:

• NicoRosberg.
    replied
    What is going on is that the engine rules have been stable for a long time now, and Honda are getting their act together, and really gelling with their team.

It was a great race.
    Last edited by NicoRosberg.; 08-04-2019, 10:15 AM.

Leave a comment:

• downtowndeco
    replied
    Another good race. What's going on here?

Leave a comment:

• Kevan
    replied
    The last few GP's had seen Merc seemingly behind in practice but not in qually. It looks like they're taking it easy in practice not taking unnecessary risks or straining the cars so you can't go by FP3.

Leave a comment:

• NicoRosberg.
    replied
    A couple of points is 9th, whereas Seb has had 5 podiums, three 4th places, two 5ths and Silverstone's mess.

Up until the end of FP3 his team seemed to have the upper hand on Sunday, a dry race the next day could of given them an straightforward, track-position led win. Sunday Hamilton was bossing it whilst the weather was consistent. The changeable weather was key, but the fallout was somewhat random. This is why I think Germant was wildly entertaining, but Silverstone was a better race.

Leave a comment:

• Kevan
    replied
    Had it been a normal weekend vettel would have been lucky to get a couple of points, leclerc would have been dicing with Max for 2nd and Lewis would have had an easy win.

Leave a comment:

• NicoRosberg.
    replied
    Hamilton simply got caught out on dry tires, I don't think it was any more complex than that.

Toto Wolff himself alluded to the costumes, but in the end they made the classic mistake of trusting their data rather than their eyes, and put their driver on the wrong tires. They'd of done that no matter how they were dressed. Ditto with what followed.....

Had it been a 'normal' weekend, the Ferraris would probably edged away for the win. Had Sunday been dry or consistently wet, given the Ferrari implosion the day before, Hamilton would of romped away.

None of that happened, so instead we got a brilliant, bonkers race. But not one much can be concluded from, although the internet is going crazy right now doing exactly that!

Leave a comment:

• downtowndeco
    replied
    While I agree with others that we shouldn't read too much into this one, oddball race, the phenomenon of a "frontrunner" completely losing their **** the first time a little something off happens is not unknown in the sporting world.

We could be talking about a football team, a boxer, a race team or driver, basically any sporting event. The "frontrunner" gets so used to winning easily, and for having the ball bounce their way, that it's easy for them to get complacent or to lose focus when something out of the ordinary happens. Yes, we "make our own luck", by being prepared. But we've all seen it before, where a team/driver/athlete just hits upon a stretch where everything goes there way. They start to feel invincible, and that their winning is a given, inevitable. Then one day the ball takes a bad bounce & they don't know what to do. Not sure that's what happened here but it all really seemed to fall apart once the first miscue started the ball rolling.
    Last edited by downtowndeco; 07-29-2019, 05:00 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Kevan
    replied
    I thought the 50's theme was great, Merc put on a great show to celebrate the past...they should have left all that behind after the three practice periods and got their proper race heads on Sat/Sun.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X