O'Connor Hobbies, Toronto Ontario Canada

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ernie is still here

Ernie Mossetti is still running a Slot Car establishment. Look under the GP Slot Car Raceway thread and that's him. His track is in the Grand Prix Kartways building in Downsview (Toronto).

Also, check out the press release for MR Slot Cars on this site (the Mazda 787). That's his car that will be going into production.

Comment

• anyone know what happen to the wing track from upstairs at O'Connor hobbies

Comment

• Wow! What a memory tour. This was a great string to read and brought back many memories. I raced at O'Connor Raceway in the 60s. I started at Jungle Jay's off Bayview Ave. and then did most of my racing at Checkered Flag Raceway on Eglinton Ave near, I think, Brimley Rd. I scratch built all my cars and I remember old Mr. Gatto getting mad at me for what he called "Wheeling and dealing", as I would trade a finished scratch-built for a kid's kit car, or parts plus a $5 bill or so. He said I was selling cars too hot for them to handle, but my cars were much tamer than the kits that constantly flew off the track. I used printer's plate for the chassis pans, and they always clung to the track. My best car ever was a 1/24 Ferrari with the pan totally covering the bottom that everyone called the "Lead Sled". It cornered like it was on rails and hardly ever came off. It had a pin guide that used to confuse the marshals. (Does anyone know where you can get 1/8 nylon rod material?) In August 68, I took a teaching job in the Arctic, got rid of all my cars and parts and never moved back to Toronto. I wish I still had them.

A month ago, after 43 years of no slotting, I linked up with Luf Linkert, www.oldslotracer.com, and friends and am now totally hooked again. The new cars are much better, but I miss my "Lead Sled Ferrari". Maybe I need to start scratch-building again. My name is Keith Hines and I now live in BC.
        Last edited by retro racer 44; 07-28-2011, 11:22 PM. Reason: extra words on bottom

Comment

• nice to hear that you are back at it, I know when I rediscovered slot car racing I jumped back in with both feet ! Our 1/24 club now takes the summer off, I think this is the first break that I have taken from racing since 1995 ( well ...... slot car racing that is, I've been hitting my local 1/3 mile oval track every Saturday night and have attended several drag races ) Our 1/24 club includes quite a few O'Connor people that I have known for over 30 years.

Glad to hear your are enjoying your new/old past time !

Comment

• Originally posted by f1nutz View Post
            I am not sure the name and am only guessing that is where we were since its the closest track I've heard of near my grandparents house in Port Credit. It may have just been called Lorne Park Hobbies or Raceway.
            Wasn't Rigby's near Yonge/Sheppard? I can't remember.
            I went to a LHS named Rigby's but it was at Dundas and Keele , I have many fond memories of trips to Oconners in my younger days (late 60's , early 70's) , there was also another at Royal York and ???? that had a couple of wood tracks(HO & 1/24 ) .

Comment

• Originally posted by challenger View Post
              I'm so glad to hear what a good time you're having Tom !

This hobby has brought me so many friends and fun filled days, and today was no exception. I got a call this morning from O'Connor graduate Victor Czerwony and we headed out on quite the adventure. We were taken to a secret warehouse location ( somewhere in the Golden Horseshoe ) to bid on a large quantity of slotcar equipment ( old stuff, some new, some used ) We negotiated a sweet price and went home with our treasure. All I can say is it was a good thing we brought two cars, my back seat was filled and Victor and I could barely shut our trunks ! It's going to be a while before we inventory everything and split the booty, definately worth the drive !

See you soon, Jim

( assorted Scalextric booklets from the 60's were part of the score )

( check the .10 cent price tag ! )

WOW that .10cent price tag is from another shop I went to , Booth's , it was at Bloor & keele , a very tiny shop but the ol'boy that ran it was really nice to us young kids although he was more of a train/modeler . Crap I'm reliving my youth here !

Comment

• Does anyone out there have info or reminiscences about Jungle Jays or Chequered Flag? I can't find anything about them, but did a lot of racing there before O'Connor Raceway was built. I remember making a dump truck on a 1/32 chassis and running it at Chequered Flag. The body was a cardboard box with a cab made of folded and glued cardboard. It had a second axle hung behind the drive axle, and it could beat almost anything on the track. I also remember the track holding a Daytona 500. It was a race for 1/24th stockers in teams of two and was 500 laps on the big front track, if I recall correctly. My friend and I were a team. He was going to Florida with his family and brought back 2 Pittman can motors. Meanwhile I built two identical red Plymouth Fury chassis. The cars ran well and stayed on the track as they had full brass pans, but the motors got so hot the leads kept melting the solder off the brushes. Whenever one car melted, we'd switch cars and the body had to be taken off and the leads re-soldered. The pit window got shorter and shorter as the race progressed and I think we finally had to give up. Later we silver soldered the leads on and never had any further problems, but that was after the event was over. Those were the days.

Comment

• a rare find

so, on the way home from work I stopped in at a hobby shop that has a discount bin that I look through from time to time, and did I get a suprize :

a 1/24 Kirby Autocoast TI 22, pre-painted and complete with number decals & interior
                  - the original price tag lists O'Connor ! ( I looked deeper in the bin and found another, clear and still in the original box )

this stuff must be close to 40 years old and suddenly pops up !

Last edited by challenger; 12-05-2013, 06:09 PM.

Comment

• famous

i see Ernie

Comment

• my bad

Comment

• Challenger, I can't see the photos. Can you pop them up?
                        I went to O'Connor Raceway once. Great track. We travelled in by transit from Lorne Park as our track had become a @#[email protected] pool hall.
                        Lorne Park Raceway was great too. A huge room above a strip mall with four incredible tracks, one of which was a very steeply banked oval. I heard that the track called Watkins Glen (my favourite) was the longest in NA although that might be an urban myth. As I recall the owner was the son of the President of American Motors of Canada.
                        Does anyone have photos?
                        Last edited by s.o.f.; 12-03-2013, 10:39 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by s.o.f. View Post
                          Challenger, I can't see the photos. Can you pop them up?
                          I went to O'Connor Raceway once. Great track. We travelled in by transit from Lorne Park as our track had become a @#[email protected] pool hall.
                          Lorne Park Raceway was great too. A huge room above a strip mall with four incredible tracks, one of which was a very steeply banked oval. I heard that the track called Watkins Glen (my favourite) was the longest in NA although that might be an urban myth. As I recall the owner was the son of the President of American Motors of Canada.
                          Does anyone have photos?

Lorne Park, A great Raceway!!....it was initially a 6 lane bowling alley, so as you correctly remembered, it was huge! As well as 4 great tracks, it had a Dragstrip that ran along the wall beside the "Glen". It was my first part time job.......if you call cleaning the washrooms and restocking the chocolate bar shelves, a job......anyway, it got me free tracktime, and a chance to learn from the "big guys".

I think the claim that the Glen was the longest track in NA was in fact a bit of a myth, but it was right up there, and, absolutely gorgeous.!!.....the one track I miss more than any I have run on since.

The owner (Earl?) Brownridge, was in fact the son of an American motors exec., either the Pres., or the VP Sales.

I have looked for pics. over the years but have never found any..........will keep looking.

cheers
                          Chris Walker

Comment

• Originally posted by s.o.f. View Post
                            Does anyone have photos?
                            I re-posted the pics, hope you can see them now

Comment

• Wow great thread I missed all those early tracks didn't live in the area until 74 when we moved to Bramalea.I think I bought the last 1/32 car left at the hobby store in the Shoppers World mall,but never knew of any tracks that where still open.I raced with alot of the guy's mentioned here in the basement track series in the mid 80's then again when the commercial tracks opened in the early 90's.I got really hooked back in now & met some great people through MiniGrid ,SS32,just can't kill a good thing.I seen an early post from Kirk here from 2009 if your still on SCI and in Dundas we have a club out in Caledonia racing weekly on a 3 lane wood track give shout if your interested.
                              Joe.S

Comment

• owner of lorne park hobby center

Originally posted by s.o.f. View Post
                                Does anyone have photos?
                                ............my parents owned it... Gary and Iris Brownridge. My grandfather Earl Brownridge was the President of AMC. LOL... i worked at that @#[email protected] pool hall years later in 83-84. I'm hard to beat in the bars now....lol Did you find any photos? ,,Would love to see them! ... tc Jim Brownridge

Comment

Working...
                                X