No announcement yet.

O'Connor Hobbies, Toronto Ontario Canada

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm great Brian.....Scanner's acting up so I can't post the O'Connor article at the moment, I'll scan it somewhere else and post it later.
    Last edited by FlyingNow; 03-07-2009, 12:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FlyingNow View Post
      Mike Long dropping in to say hello. I have many fond memories of O'Connor hobbies and recognize many of the names on this thread. I raced and worked there for years. Hello to Mike P, Tom C and Brian F.
      I've scanned an article about O'Connor written by Dan Camilleri from Model Car, April 1973. Hope you can read it. Grant, Mike P, myself and Bruce Adamson mentioned on page 2. Save it to your puter and read it off line if you need to zoom in.
      Oppps, scanner problems.....article to follow later.
      Cheers!

Hiya Mike! Flyingnow? Flying what? Google can get you into trouble. Look what it has done to Fergy and I. http://www.slotcarillustrated.com/po...t=26458&page=3
      In the bottom right hand pic at the bottom of this next page, racing closest to the camera is Fergy http://www.slotcarillustrated.com/po...t=26450&page=4

We are racing and have been for several weeks, Friday nights at Race Haven ....Steeles west of Airport road at Torbrum. March break has started at the track ATM. Keep in touch and perhaps we can meet.

Tom

Comment

Flying RC planes now Tom out of a club in Whitby.
        I might make it out to Race Haven for a look see but I'm leaving the happy card at home.

Long

Comment

I remember O'Conner's and the speed shop down the street. I was only around 10 years old when I first saw the place back in the mid 70's. I never had a chance to race but watching was great. My dad took me there a few times to watch a friend of his race. Man I wanted one of those cars so bad back then, lol.

Comment

Mike, I've hosted the article images on my site for you. The three pages are:

Racing Canada - Page 1
            Racing Canada - Page 2
            Racing Canada - Page 3

Brian

Comment

Thanks Brian.

Comment

Originally posted by TA462 View Post
                I remember O'Connor's and the speed shop down the street.
                I think after the model car raceway closed I spent just as much time at the speed shop and the drag strip, still have some stuff from way back :

The opener still works like new !

The slotcars went away in a box for over twenty years and I played with stuff like this :

my 1969 Charger R/T

my brother's 70 Malibu, and my first Challenger

Matt Fenney's '70 Challenger & my '74 Ranchero ( Matt's in the original O'Connor picture that I posted )

my first 1:1 scale motor build-up

Last edited by challenger; 03-09-2009, 06:24 PM.

Comment

Nice cars, I bet you wish you still had a few of them eh?

Comment

Originally posted by TA462 View Post
                    Nice cars, I bet you wish you still had a few of them eh?
                    I do have a few cars, the 440 Magnum out of the '69 R/T is now in my '69 Plymouth drag car and I have a '73 Challenger.

Last edited by challenger; 03-10-2009, 07:07 AM.

Comment

After O'Connor, this is a current photo of my summer fun in the 80's. Bought this RX7, new in May of 78. Ran it in auto slaloms and time trials at Shannonville. The car won over 100 events, several Ontario Championships and one National Championship. Yes, I still have it, never winter driven, 80,000 km on the chassis. 2,000 km on this, the fourth engine configuration. Twin sidraft Delortto carbs, ported rotary engine. Considerable suspension work.

Last edited by Cinny1; 03-10-2009, 07:42 AM.

Comment

great picture Tom ! I guess it's true what they say : the difference between men & boys is the price of their toys !

( * I lived beside Lakeside Mazda in Scarborough in the 70's, I saw lots of those RX7's ! )
                        Last edited by challenger; 03-10-2009, 01:16 PM.

Comment

Fergy! - It's Mike Power

Originally posted by Fergy View Post
                          Indeed a small world. I was into model trains and airplanes in my early teens, and I went to John's for most of my stuff. The shop was just a bit east of Woodbine so I'd bus down to the Danforth and back. Then O'Connor opened (and it was only a few blocks from my home)... so all former hobbies were very quickly forgotten!

It became an obsession at one point. Mike Power was O'Connor's 'factory driver' and I was racing there and also working part time behind the counter when Guy Gatto, Paul Gatto, or Grant Osborne weren't able to be there. Mike and I became good friends and Mike had access to the place and the two of us often skipped school and were at the shop hours before Guy showed up to open the place! We built and worked on our cars in a nicely equipped shop in the basement. Whenever a new order cleared customs and arrived, Mike and I would go through it and make sure we got the bits we needed, before the stuff went up on the wall or in the display cabinets (usually my job). It was nice having an inside connection! I never saw a dollar from working there... it was all spent on parts! Perhaps a misspent youth, but man, it was great fun!

Sorry for the ramble...

Brian
                          I've been reading all the posts after I found this back in January - Can you believe it!...ALL this time and names and memories come back - remember our cars Brain - you too Tom! The Datsun 510's and your 240z and Capri's and the awesome times we had...Mosport on the inside of turn two! Always wondered about all the guys - Mike Long and Brian Adamson!, I remember a guy named Shawn too? Great to read all the stuff everyone has written about O'connor Raceway back in the 70's....Man do I ever remember meeting you at a restaurant by the high school you went too (some of the time) and we'd head to O'connor and wait for Guy to show up!...Best times Fergie!....the slot car racing we did was the best - I sometimes tell my kids about it when they ask what I did as a teen and they just look at me weird....they think it was so boring I'm sure - they can't relate - loved it looking back! Thanks for the memories everyone - I didn't know there was so many out there that were "there"...I'll check in often now! Mike Power

Comment

Mike, don't just check in here! Come on out some Friday and visit Tom and myself at Race Haven - it's in Brampton, at Torbram and Steeles. We'd love to see you again after all these years. Racing starts at 7:30 but I'm usually there by 3:30 (I work in Brampton) and Tom is usually there before 4:30. Hey, just PM me on here if you have a Friday (or any afternoon around 4PM Wednesday to Sunday - my work week and Race Haven's open days) you can make it and we'll get hooked up!

Fergy
                            Last edited by Fergy; 03-25-2009, 03:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fergy View Post
                              Mike, don't just check in here! Come on out some Friday and visit Tom and myself at Race Haven - it's in Brampton, at Torbram and Steeles. We'd love to see you again after all these years. Racing starts at 7:30 but I'm usually there by 3:30 (I work in Brampton) and Tom is usually there before 4:30. Hey, just PM me on here if you have a Friday (or any afternoon around 4PM Wednesday to Sunday - my work week and Race Haven's open days) you can make it and we'll get hooked up!

Fergy
                              I just got back from Race Haven....I will see you and Tom this Friday ...I have a bit of hair and it's now all white....I kinda like the Porshe....I may just bring along the visa card and step back in time with you guys! - Mike

Comment

It's pretty funny how this thread has taken off with the help of 1 old O'Connor picture ! Scott Wiley gave me the picture a few years ago and I talked to him Sunday and told him how many hits this thread was getting, he got a big laugh out of it. He runs a Comic Book shop in Newmarket out of a Flea Market.

A few people have mentioned Mr. Gatto on here, I have a funny story about that. I was at St.Thomas Dragway in the late 80's and had just made a pass and returned to the pit area. One of the spectators had heard my name announced before my run and came over to say hello, it was Mr. Gatto's nephew Mark Eason. He was at the track with none other than Mr. Drew Tarling, they both lived in the London area. I hadn't seen them in over ten years ! That was the last time I saw Mark as a spectator, he started showing up with several different Camaro's after that, a '69 SS 350, a Pacecar convertible and then a beautiful '69 302 Z28.

Comment

Working...
                                X