O'Connor Hobbies, Toronto Ontario Canada

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mpower View Post
    I just got back from Race Haven....I will see you and Tom this Friday ...I have a bit of hair and it's now all white....I kinda like the Porshe....I may just bring along the visa card and step back in time with you guys! - Mike
    AWESOME!!!

Looking forward to it! Of course... if you get hooked again like Tom and I did, we may have to break your trigger finger....

Comment

Originally posted by challenger View Post
      It's pretty funny how this thread has taken off with the help of 1 old O'Connor picture !
      Thank heaven the pic was published! You have no idea how cool it will be for Mike, Tom, and myself to reunite after all these years. For all 3 of us, together at one time, it will probably be close to 32 years or even more! I am looking forward to Friday at Race Haven!!

Comment

Have a great night of racing Fergy ( you should get someone to take a picture of you guys, " the reunion " ) I can't make it, I will be racing at the monthly Brant's Hatch event. I will try to make it out in the next few weeks.

Good Luck !

Comment

Picture this... almost 35 years since we've all seen each other... Mike drives into the Race Haven parking lot... I'm standing outside with Chris Walker and I spot Mike immediately and point at him and he's grinning ear-to-ear with the exact same smile I remember! We shake hands and start making small talk, but within minutes we are talking like old friends, catching up with each other's lives and, of course, reminiscing. And looking beyond each other’s grey hair, I comfortably know I am talking with the very same Mike Power I knew from circa 1974-75.

Later, Tom arrives, and it becomes a grand reunion of 3 of O'Connor's oldest veterans. It was almost unfortunate that the racing distracted us! Or maybe it wasn’t... Mike hung around for hours while Tom and I finished setting up our cars, watched a lot of the racing, and even regained his hand at marshalling (I don’t think he lost any of that talent!). Best of all, I think the evening rekindled something in him, and I fully expect he will once again appear (very soon) as a starter in a slot car race!

I certainly hope so because Tom and I have remained good friends over the years, in large part because slot racing has been a common bond that even our massively varied daily lives has never been able to interfere with for very long, so I hope we can drag Mike back into the abyss.
          Last edited by Fergy; 03-28-2009, 04:55 PM.

Comment

Rumor has it that back in the day, Mike was the man to beat.

Looks like we are going to add another Fast guy to the bunch. Awesome!

If we keep going at this rate, maybe we will have to re-name the place O'Conner Hobbies 2009.

Comment

Wow Fergy....the three amigos together again. Wish I was there to see you guys standing together. I can picture the three of you from 30 years ago (bet ya all look the same eh!) <g>.

I'm still going to do my best to get out on a Friday night and check out the competition (did I say competition Tom?).

As far as Mike Power being the guy to beat in the old days, I could'nt agree more. I used to watch Mike drive the wing cars during a race and it seemed to me that he was always able to look ahead to the next corner while driving the previous one....he just had the nak for that. Any time I tried that style of driving you would here the inevitable "thud" (another wood chip missing from the wall).

Mike P, did Glenn get in touch with you? I pointed him to this thread a few weeks back....he was going to look you up.

Fergy, I did a road trip out to see Ernie M at his new shop. He tossed me a Slot It car and I did a few laps......uh oh, that may have been a mistake. I walked out of there grinning ear to ear.

Long

Comment

I found a old picture of yours truly working the counter at O'Connor....35 plus years and 100lbs ago.
                I'm thinking the kid (3rd left) at the counter might be Ernie M.
                Last edited by FlyingNow; 03-29-2009, 07:09 AM.

Comment

After O'Connor

Thought I would also share a few pics of my cars after O'Connor. I didn't get to serious into any type of racing other than the illegal street stuff....you know, hitting curbs, taking out the odd small tree on buddy's front lawn, etc. etc.

The 72 Datsun sounded like a WWII bomber coming down the street (Header with a Stebro thing on the end). I think you could see internal engine parts if you looked up the pipe....man, was it loud.

The 73 Vette was for chasing down the girls....although it did see the odd curb or two also If I remember correctly.....wish I still had them both.

Mike

Comment

If we keep going at this rate, maybe we will have to re-name the place O'Conner Hobbies 2009.
                    First, we infiltrate... then, we take over!

Relax Ron, the name is safe. Although, on second thought... perhaps it should be called Race Heaven!

Mike L, that almost looks like Mike Power's old 510! And yes, you DO need to make the trek to Race Haven some Friday night. How does that commercial go... "it's worth the drive to Brampton".
                    Last edited by Fergy; 03-29-2009, 03:38 PM.

Comment

great pics !

Mike L, nice photos !

I like the candy stripe pants on the kid in front ! Ron Grey's brother Derrick wore pants like that all the time ( I think they helped him remember the colours on the lane rotation ) The 510 is really cool, I saw one at the Motion car show this weekend, drag car, small block chevy power. Saw a 'Vette also, blower motor, lots of chrome.

Last edited by challenger; 03-29-2009, 04:29 PM.

Comment

I raced that Datsun many times back in my Bracket Racing days. It beat me every time. I don't think there was a more consistent car at the track.

Then we went Heads Up and never looked back.

Comment

Originally posted by FlyingNow View Post
                          I found a old picture of yours truly working the counter at O'Connor....35 plus years and 100lbs ago.
                          I'm thinking the kid (3rd left) at the counter might be Ernie M.
                          If that's not Ernie, may-be it's a kid with the same initials, Eddie Munster. Does anyone know if he was into slot car racing ?

Last edited by challenger; 03-29-2009, 06:02 PM.

Comment

This Friday

Originally posted by Fergy View Post

Mike L, that almost looks like Mike Power's old 510! And yes, you DO need to make the trek to Race Haven some Friday night. How does that commercial go... "it's worth the drive to Brampton".
                            I cant stand it any more....I'll be out to Race Haven for a look see this Friday.

Mike L

Comment

I'll be out to Race Haven for a look see this Friday.
                              About time!

Last week we were joined by Mike Power... let's make it one O'Connor alumnus a week!
                              Who's next?

Comment

Originally posted by Fergy View Post
                                About time!

Last week we were joined by Mike Power... let's make it one O'Connor alumnus a week!
                                Who's next?
                                Fergy, I'm telling myself to get out there early to beat the traffic from Ajax. In reality, I think what I mean is get out there early enough to buy a car.....play for an hour or so and see if the old trigger finger still works.......oh no, it's happening.

If this keeps up Ron's going to have to pay you guys a "finders fee" for bringing back the O'Connor seniors one at a time. Ron, if you read this put a fresh role of paper in the debit card machine.

"uh honey...I'll be late tonight, can you pass me the happy card please"

Mike L
                                Last edited by FlyingNow; 04-01-2009, 03:15 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X