No announcement yet.

O'Connor Hobbies, Toronto Ontario Canada

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A certain M. Long graced the halls of Race Haven today (Wed.), and after completing a mere handful of laps with his shiny new Porsche, commented that he believed he was ready to humiliate all of his old O'Connor buddies. "I really don't think they have a prayer" he was heard to say repeatedly as he made his way around the circuit.

Cheers
    Chris

Comment

"I really don't think they have a prayer"
      We'll see, Chris! He forgets... we learned how to nerf before he was born! Seriously, he is the youngest of the oldest... if that makes any sense... so it wouldn't surprise me at all if he can kick our a$$e$! But... he'll have to prove it....

Looks like another fun Friday!

Comment

Originally posted by chrisguyw View Post
        A certain M. Long graced the halls of Race Haven today (Wed.), and after completing a mere handful of laps with his shiny new Porsche, commented that he believed he was ready to humiliate all of his old O'Connor buddies. "I really don't think they have a prayer" he was heard to say repeatedly as he made his way around the circuit.

Cheers
        Chris
        Ah Chris......not nice to tell lies. Now I won't be able to keep the thing on the track due to the pressure you've put on me......you just get back to the bench and true that rubber up for me, and make'm round. I'm going to need all the help I can get to keep up with the old pro's. <g>
        It was great to meet up with you Chris, Ron & Pete....thanks for your help.

Fergy, I may be a couple years younger than you and Tom but the way I drove proved I now have the reflex's of a 80 year old.....c'mon trigger finger, loosen up.

Mike L
        Last edited by FlyingNow; 04-02-2009, 07:15 AM.

Comment

This thread is really heating up! Don't forget to take lots of pictures!

cheers,
          Bob

Comment

I think it is awesome that a thread that started with one picture has now reunited some of the O'Conner gang.

To have them out racing again is just amazing!

In this case I tink a picture is worth more than a thousand words, especially once the bench racing begins. Oh yeah, it already has!!!

Comment

c'mon trigger finger, loosen up.
              Mike, Ron gave you a trigger controller to use? He always makes Tom and I use an old thumb controller....

Don't forget to take lots of pictures!
              Bob, they haven't yet invented a camera that can survive a pic with me in it!

24 hours to go... not that I'm counting or anything...

Comment

I don;t know how many times to tell you Fergy, those thumb controllers are top of the line man!

PS. I have a purple gear set aside. Only had a couple left.

Comment

PS. I have a purple gear set aside. Only had a couple left.
                  Thanks, mate! See ya just after 3.

Comment

Originally posted by Fergy View Post
                    Mike, Ron gave you a trigger controller to use? He always makes Tom and I use an old thumb controller....
                    Ya, he gave me one of these....said all the top dogs were using them on Friday night.

Mike L

Comment

• thumb controllers

You guys can laugh all you want at the thumb controllers. That's all Chuck Ingram uses at Brant's Hatch 1/24 club. No fancy electrontics or motors, he uses all "old school" stuff and is still one of the most competitive racers around !

Last edited by challenger; 04-03-2009, 04:42 AM.

Comment

• Hey Mike & Challenger, that's an R4!! Labelled as a thumb controller, but flip it around and use your finger - I did!

Friday was definitely fun! Mike L showed up early, had already bought a car, and it got well set up by the usual Race Haven suspects by the time I got there. To be honest, there were a few new faces and I wasn't sure which one was him until after we started to talk. Last time I saw him was 35 years ago, when he was about 17! Unfortunately, Mike Power wasn't able to get there until after the racing was well under way so he was not an entry. But it was still very interesting to have four O'Connor guys in the same place at the same time. Mike L showed that he hasn't become geriatric yet, finishing 8th out of 13 in a very competitive stock Porsche field on his first day back! And with this group, that's quite impressive. By comparison, my first finish was 14th out of 16, and I was thrilled! And... we have him totally hooked again! Mr. Power assures us he will be there next time - I am keenly looking forward to watching him drive again!

Although I edged out Tom in the Porsche race, 2nd versus 3rd, he handily took a 2nd in the Super Series vs. my 4th. Hey, not bad for old pharts! But after Mike L's impressive debut, he jokingly quipped "I'm having second thoughts about dragging all you guys back into this!" Thank you, Tom, for doing so!

It's great fun racing not only with the current crop of competitors (all great guys!) but also with the O'Connor guys that were there back in the late 60's and early 70's! It doesn't get any better! Please don't beam me up now!

Comment

• Originally posted by Fergy View Post
                          It's great fun racing not only with the current crop of competitors (all great guys!) but also with the O'Connor guys that were there back in the late 60's and early 70's! It doesn't get any better! Please don't beam me up now!
                          Ok,Ok, there's no doubt about it Fergy, I'm hooked.

It was great to meet up with the O'Connor lads from 35 years ago and it's obvious that Tom & Fergy have NOT lost there touch. It was also great to meet all the other racers and I can't believe how close and competitive the field was (what a great bunch of guys). I hope to get out b4 the next Friday night race and get more track time under my belt. if I want to move up in the rankings with this crew alot more practice is a must.

After the long drive home from my first Friday night race all I could think about was slot cars....I could'nt sleep, I can't believe it. I drove the track over and over again in my mind. Is there something wrong when a 52 year old can't sleep because he's dreaming about toy cars?.....please tell me I'm not the only one that's gone through that.

Better go now and do some tweaking on the Porsche.....gota pick up a few 10ths of a second here and there before Mike Power get's back into it and knocks me down a place or two in the standings.

Thanks,

Mike L
                          Last edited by FlyingNow; 04-05-2009, 04:35 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by FlyingNow View Post
                            Ok,Ok, there's no doubt about it Fergy, I'm hooked.

After the long drive home from my first Friday night race all I could think about was slot cars....I could'nt sleep, I can't believe it. I drove the track over and over again in my mind. Is there something wrong when a 52 year old can't sleep because he's dreaming about toy cars?.....please tell me I'm not the only one that's gone through that.

Mike L
                            Just wait until you get your first win ! If I go to an event and take first place I get home and start setting up for the next event, no sleep ! It's just fantastic that we can participate in something that gave us such great times in our youth.

Comment

• Originally posted by challenger View Post
                              Just wait until you get your first win ! If I go to an event and take first place I get home and start setting up for the next event, no sleep ! It's just fantastic that we can participate in something that gave us such great times in our youth.

...and our old age too! It was fun Friday night. See ya in 3 weeks
                              Dan

Comment

• Originally posted by FlyingNow View Post
                                Is there something wrong when a 52 year old can't sleep because he's dreaming about toy cars?.....please tell me I'm not the only one that's gone through that.
                                Welcome back to the Darkside!

Comment

Working...
                                X