No announcement yet.

O'Connor Hobbies, Toronto Ontario Canada

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks, Jim! I can't lie... a in the series feels great!

Here I am, 55 years old, and each race win feels as good as it did back at O'Connor! But age has it's benefits - now I still have great fun no matter where I finish, and I enjoy the fellowship as much as the racing. It's more enjoyable now than ever!

Comment

• Originally posted by Fergy View Post
      Thanks, Jim! I can't lie... a in the series feels great!

Here I am, 55 years old, and each race win feels as good as it did back at O'Connor! But age has it's benefits - now I still have great fun no matter where I finish, and I enjoy the fellowship as much as the racing. It's more enjoyable now than ever!
      That's the way to do it Brian.....congrats!

I won't be around much for the summer months but look forward to getting back into in the Fall.

Mike

Comment

• Thanks, Mike! Glad I got my series win in now! When you, and that 'other' Mike, come back in the fall, I think things are going to get really hot! I can't wait to see how 'Power', 'Cinnamon', 'Long', and 'Ferguson' do in the future. Talk about time travel!

And, we have several guys at Race Haven that are just as fast, and even faster, than me! I see a fall series as being a total free-for-all! It's gonna be a fight! O'Connor vets versus the world?

Comment

• Way to go Fergy!! I've been following the site and missed you guys on Fridays - Boat's in the water and had to do a bunch of work to it before it went in.

I'll be back in the FALL with my son (I hope) to see you guys again and try to bring back some of the "glory days" with the O'connor gang!....I can't say I've ever looked forward to FALL but now there's a reason!

Have a great summer Fergy, Tom and Mike and see you in a few months!

Mike

Comment

• Man you guys are old!! LOL!!! Your talking about a slot car store in T.O. that closed in 78' Thats when I was born! I lived in Brantford Ont, till 2005 now NJ.(long Story) Used to go to a placed called "slot car city". Thats where it started for me. But in away, we all have you "ol'timers" to thank for keeping this sport alive! Being dedicated and with your help and knowledge, we know what we know today about slot cars! I was young and fatherless, my neighbour (who had daughters) took me there on wednesday. Time of my life, got out of it when "it wasn't cool" and just recently found the hobby again. Only because of people that have been doing since the 70's in NJ brought it to my attention. So in short, Thank you guys! For keeping it going, and for making me spend a fortune getting back into it!!!! But I love it all over again!

Comment

• Originally posted by kanook View Post
              Man you guys are old!! LOL!!! Your talking about a slot car store in T.O. that closed in 78' Thats when I was born! I lived in Brantford Ont, till 2005 now NJ.(long Story) Used to go to a placed called "slot car city". Thats where it started for me. But in away, we all have you "ol'timers" to thank for keeping this sport alive! Being dedicated and with your help and knowledge, we know what we know today about slot cars! I was young and fatherless, my neighbour (who had daughters) took me there on wednesday. Time of my life, got out of it when "it wasn't cool" and just recently found the hobby again. Only because of people that have been doing since the 70's in NJ brought it to my attention. So in short, Thank you guys! For keeping it going, and for making me spend a fortune getting back into it!!!! But I love it all over again!
              Hey there young Fella.....born in 78 eh!...in 78 I was trying to figure out women....being trying ever since. <g>
              Glad you stopped in to say hello, If you ever get up to the TO area make sure you get out to Race Haven to see the "Old Timers".....better make it soon though, we ain't getting any younger.

Cheers,
              Mike

Comment

• I still have family there! and would totally stop by, and I will make it quick!! lol! do you guys race 1/32 there at all??

Comment

• Kanook, so far it has all been 1/32 at Race Haven. Stock Slot.it Porsches in the Porsche Series, and any Slot.it car/parts in the Super Series. Not sure what changes, if any, will be made for the next set of series.

A HUGE HO track (about 125 feet, if I recall, of MaxTrax) has recently been added. I've driven it and it's quite a good track.

Comment

• lorne park hobby centre

Originally posted by f1nutz View Post
                    Never made it to O'Conner when I was a kid having grown up in the sticks in Bolton. The only track I visited I believe was in Lorne Park with my uncle when I was 5 or 6 yers old. It left a lasting impression and I later inherited my uncle's slot car magazines when he outgrew slots which I scoured over for years later. Recently I found a short snip of footage on some old family super 8 movies showing my older brothers' race set in the late 60's.
                    hi f1nutz my parents owned the race car track in lorne park it was on lorne park road just south of tracks.(north of lakeshore between port credit and clarkson for those wondering about area) i remember getting my first 3 speed bicycle there as a kid (lol had a back and white checkered banana seat) my mother and father ran it! was wondering when that was? i 47 now! im trying to locate a news reel of opening ! stirling moss and mario andretti were there and raced !!! it was shown on news with actual race car sounds!! im new to this site! please any help with this would be appreciated!!! i remember 3 tracks a red , green and a yellow oval in back!! plus drag strip on right!! do we get email notification of posts? if not i [email protected].... thxs .... jim brownridge
                    Last edited by jimjungle42; 12-31-2016, 02:26 AM. Reason: email change

Comment

• Originally posted by Fergy View Post
                      Minor, and miscellaneous, points...

I'm not sure if it was ever called O'Connor Hobbies - perhaps it was in the late years, after I left, but for most of its life it was O'Connor Raceway.

Oshawa Raceway had a superb track until the shop burned down. A bit of as blessing for the Toronto guys because we picked up their serious racers like Tom Cinnamon, Frank Grant, and some others.

Lorne Park Raceway was indeed in Port Credit. Lorne Park was actually the name for a specific area within Port Credit - might still be.

Rigby's Hobbies was indeed at Bloor and Jane but they never had a track to my knowledge.

The US tracks we visited were Grell's and also Brighton & Eggerts (Sp?) in Buffalo, as well as Parma, of course, in Cleveland. We were such die-hards around 1970 that we used to make the random decision late on a Friday afternoon (after meeting at O'Connor) to drive to Buffalo to drop in at a track and then grab a bite at Arby's before driving home again!

Man, I miss those carefree days!

Brian
                      lorne park hobby centre was name and it isnt in port credit!!!! its between port credit and clarkson!! my parents ran it! waiting for moderator to allow me for this group but have lots of ?s for all about any clips of it ...there was a video clip from grand opening with stirling moss racing mario andretti on one of the slot car tracks!!!!!!!! ty [email protected] ty jim brownridge
                      Last edited by jimjungle42; 12-31-2016, 02:24 AM. Reason: email change

Comment

• lorne park hobby centre

was a kid at time but parents owned it!!! i remember 4 tracks the red one on left the green on right yellow oval in back and drag race strip along right side!!! hoping to find a newsclip with mario andretti and stirling moss racing at grand opening !!! have heard stories about it but havent seen it!! apparently the clip had real race car sounds dubbed in it!!! looking forward to chatting with sum that were older than i at the time!!! lol ty [email protected] jim brownridge
                        Last edited by jimjungle42; 12-31-2016, 02:23 AM. Reason: email change

Comment

• dont know actual address but was north of lakeshore just south of tracks on right hand side. was on lorne park road .. building still there was turned into a pool hall after my parents sold it(lmao i actually worked there when i was 21ish) learned to play pool too!!! corner of lorne park and queen now!! lorne park is between port credit and clarkson!! ty [email protected] ..jim brownridge
                          Last edited by jimjungle42; 12-31-2016, 02:19 AM. Reason: email change

Comment

• Thanks for the info Jim. My memory is very sketchy about the store as I was only there the one time and was very young but I do have a friend who raced there. He filled me in on the location and the building is still there.
                            Thanks again
                            Bill

Comment

• breaking news !

I just hooked up with a friend of mine that I haven't seen in several years. He was one of the racers from O'Connor and I told him about this thread. Apparently his father has a box of photos that he took from several events back in the 70's at O'Connor ! He has recently moved and everything is still packed away in moving boxes, we will have to go on a treasure hunt.

.....stay tuned ! hope we can locate the pictures and I will scan & post them

Comment

• The Usual Suspects

Well, I have had an interesing couple of weeks meeting up with two more of the people from the original O'Connor picture that I posted. Last night we had the pleasure of a special guest at the Brant's Hatch 1/24 club, Mr. Peter Sardella !

...............Chuck Ingram.............Peter Sardella.................Joe Guts............

Peter offered up some expert volunteer marshalling and joined us for another night of competion at the 'Hatch.

He also said he has several photos from O'Connor and with be sharing them with us shortly. It looks like we will be putting together quite a library of photos very soon !

Comment

Working...
                                X