X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• challenger
    started a topic O'Connor Hobbies, Toronto Ontario Canada

O'Connor Hobbies, Toronto Ontario Canada

My interest in slotcars began as a teenager growing up in the 70's in Toronto. I started with an H.O. set on a 4' x 8' sheet in my room and quickly graduated to other types of racing after a visit to a local store, O'Connor Hobbies. Probably most SCI members in my age group from this area can say they set foot in this store between 1966 - 1978. It featured a killer 1/24 scale wing car track upstairs and two more wooden tracks downstairs, a "Baby King" H.O. track and a 1/24 scale 8 lane that usually hosted womp-womp races. I have one photo that I'm going to post of the store and that's it, I'm wondering if anyone has additional photos they would like to share, or, if you have a similar story regarding a local shop growing up that influenced your attraction to this hobby please share it with us.

Thanks ( see if you can identify a famous Canadian slot racer : )

( I will give you a hint, he's also a slotcar store owner and chassis manufacturer )

Last edited by challenger; 01-02-2009, 02:43 PM.

• jimjungle42
    replied
    Lorne Park Hobby Centre My father owned this back in the 60s here's some info i found. I am Jamie mentioned at end. Still trying to find pictures of the tracks from back then. Brownridge, Gary Weekly 19670104 (5).pdf might not have added this attachment correctly ...will repost this when i find out
    Attached Files
    Last edited by jimjungle42; 05-15-2019, 09:44 PM.

Leave a comment:

• jimjungle42
    replied
    lorne park hobby centre was the name

Leave a comment:

• s.o.f.
    replied
    I raced at Lorne Park Raceway which was in a huge room above the plaza. Four 1:24 tracks plus an HO track. When slot racing died off it became a pool haul.
    A friend of mine and I took the train and a number of buses (for about three hours) to get to the O'Connor track. That was my last slot adventure until I got a Scaley track birthday about 12 years ago.

Leave a comment:

• lowryeder1
    replied
    Lorne park

Originally posted by challenger View Post
    Lorne Park, was that Rigby's Hobbies ?
    Lorne Park was an awesome place , numerous different tracks , plush carpet , lots of room = last time i was there they ran an endurance race on a high banked oval for 1/24 stock cars - 6 hrs long with those big 36D motors melting down regular

Leave a comment:

• jimjungle42
    replied
    owner of lorne park hobby center

Originally posted by chrisguyw View Post
    Lorne Park, A great Raceway!!....it was initially a 6 lane bowling alley, so as you correctly remembered, it was huge! As well as 4 great tracks, it had a Dragstrip that ran along the wall beside the "Glen". It was my first part time job.......if you call cleaning the washrooms and restocking the chocolate bar shelves, a job......anyway, it got me free tracktime, and a chance to learn from the "big guys".

I think the claim that the Glen was the longest track in NA was in fact a bit of a myth, but it was right up there, and, absolutely gorgeous.!!.....the one track I miss more than any I have run on since.

The owner (Earl?) Brownridge, was in fact the son of an American motors exec., either the Pres., or the VP Sales.

I have looked for pics. over the years but have never found any..........will keep looking.

cheers
    Chris Walker
    my parents owned it ...Gary and Iris. My grandfather Earl was the President of AMC Did you find any photos?...... Jim Brownridge

Leave a comment:

• jimjungle42
    replied
    owner of lorne park hobby center

Originally posted by s.o.f. View Post
    Challenger, I can't see the photos. Can you pop them up?
    I went to O'Connor Raceway once. Great track. We travelled in by transit from Lorne Park as our track had become a @#[email protected] pool hall.
    Lorne Park Raceway was great too. A huge room above a strip mall with four incredible tracks, one of which was a very steeply banked oval. I heard that the track called Watkins Glen (my favourite) was the longest in NA although that might be an urban myth. As I recall the owner was the son of the President of American Motors of Canada.
    Does anyone have photos?
    ............my parents owned it... Gary and Iris Brownridge. My grandfather Earl Brownridge was the President of AMC. LOL... i worked at that @#[email protected] pool hall years later in 83-84. I'm hard to beat in the bars now....lol Did you find any photos? ,,Would love to see them! ... tc Jim Brownridge

Leave a comment:

• racer92
    replied
    Wow great thread I missed all those early tracks didn't live in the area until 74 when we moved to Bramalea.I think I bought the last 1/32 car left at the hobby store in the Shoppers World mall,but never knew of any tracks that where still open.I raced with alot of the guy's mentioned here in the basement track series in the mid 80's then again when the commercial tracks opened in the early 90's.I got really hooked back in now & met some great people through MiniGrid ,SS32,just can't kill a good thing.I seen an early post from Kirk here from 2009 if your still on SCI and in Dundas we have a club out in Caledonia racing weekly on a 3 lane wood track give shout if your interested.
    Joe.S

Leave a comment:

• challenger
    replied
    I went to O'Connor Raceway once. Great track. We travelled in by transit from Lorne Park as our track had become a @#[email protected] pool hall.
    Lorne Park Raceway was great too. A huge room above a strip mall with four incredible tracks, one of which was a very steeply banked oval. I heard that the track called Watkins Glen (my favourite) was the longest in NA although that might be an urban myth. As I recall the owner was the son of the President of American Motors of Canada.
    Does anyone have photos?
    I re-posted the pics, hope you can see them now

Leave a comment:

• chrisguyw
    replied
    Does anyone have photos?

Lorne Park, A great Raceway!!....it was initially a 6 lane bowling alley, so as you correctly remembered, it was huge! As well as 4 great tracks, it had a Dragstrip that ran along the wall beside the "Glen". It was my first part time job.......if you call cleaning the washrooms and restocking the chocolate bar shelves, a job......anyway, it got me free tracktime, and a chance to learn from the "big guys".

I think the claim that the Glen was the longest track in NA was in fact a bit of a myth, but it was right up there, and, absolutely gorgeous.!!.....the one track I miss more than any I have run on since.

The owner (Earl?) Brownridge, was in fact the son of an American motors exec., either the Pres., or the VP Sales.

I have looked for pics. over the years but have never found any..........will keep looking.

cheers
    Chris Walker

Leave a comment:

• s.o.f.
    replied
    Does anyone have photos?
    Last edited by s.o.f.; 12-03-2013, 10:39 AM.

Leave a comment:

• lowryeder1
    replied
    my bad

Leave a comment:

• lowryeder1
    replied
    famous

i see Ernie

Leave a comment:

• challenger
    replied
    a rare find

so, on the way home from work I stopped in at a hobby shop that has a discount bin that I look through from time to time, and did I get a suprize :

a 1/24 Kirby Autocoast TI 22, pre-painted and complete with number decals & interior
    - the original price tag lists O'Connor ! ( I looked deeper in the bin and found another, clear and still in the original box )

this stuff must be close to 40 years old and suddenly pops up !

Last edited by challenger; 12-05-2013, 06:09 PM.

Leave a comment:

• retro racer 44
    replied
    Does anyone out there have info or reminiscences about Jungle Jays or Chequered Flag? I can't find anything about them, but did a lot of racing there before O'Connor Raceway was built. I remember making a dump truck on a 1/32 chassis and running it at Chequered Flag. The body was a cardboard box with a cab made of folded and glued cardboard. It had a second axle hung behind the drive axle, and it could beat almost anything on the track. I also remember the track holding a Daytona 500. It was a race for 1/24th stockers in teams of two and was 500 laps on the big front track, if I recall correctly. My friend and I were a team. He was going to Florida with his family and brought back 2 Pittman can motors. Meanwhile I built two identical red Plymouth Fury chassis. The cars ran well and stayed on the track as they had full brass pans, but the motors got so hot the leads kept melting the solder off the brushes. Whenever one car melted, we'd switch cars and the body had to be taken off and the leads re-soldered. The pit window got shorter and shorter as the race progressed and I think we finally had to give up. Later we silver soldered the leads on and never had any further problems, but that was after the event was over. Those were the days.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X