Lap at the Glen

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lap at the Glen

Ok... I know, I know... I'm laughing in a slightly giddy (maybe more than slightly) and embarrassing manner. Trust me, if anyone was in my position during this video they'd be doing the SAME thing. I had the extremely good fortune to have a member of the Corvette Club from Rochester to offer me a shot gun seat in his C6 Corvette as he did 3 laps at the Glen today. The first lap we did (that you will see in this video) was "only" about 90 mph on a straight. But the second and third laps were over 100 mph. Which might not sound like a lot for a race track but HOLY CRAP it was amazing! I've done over 150mph on a straight on the Autobahn in a Porsche 911 but THIS was fantastic, over 100 on the uphill turn at the Glen was... well... a real "holy crap" moment!

[YOUTUBE]KqAwGgCABzQ[/YOUTUBE]

We did 3 laps and this was the first, and slowest, of the laps I had the good fortune to do in a dream Vette. Wow, a yellow Vette at the Glen, does it get better than that?
    Last edited by DaveKennedy; 04-24-2010, 07:50 PM.

Great stuff. What a beauty of a race track, I would sure like to have a go around there in one of those Vettes ... or maybe a Porsche?

Comment

Great video, Dave! It brought back memories of our visit to the Glen last fall. I got to drive 3 laps, although at a somewhat slower speed than you did.

Did you get a chance to see any of the old street/road course while you were there?

Comment

I didn't get to do the tour of the old circuit today (that the Corvette club's did do). I was at the International Motor Racing Research Center doing a demo for SCX most of the day.

Comment

Second apostrophe unnecessary. Where were you after that?

Comment

Thanks for the clip, looked like a good time.

Originally posted by DaveKennedy View Post
            I've done over 150mph on a straight on the Autobahn
            Now you're making me miss the old country. It was such agony to go to and from work each day, because I could do those speeds easily, but it wasn't a straight!!

Cheers!
            Paul

Comment

Pretty awesome man! Thanks for posting.

Comment

Being from Dansville, NY originally, I've been to the Glen many times in the 60s and early 70s but never got to ride a lap there. Very cool. Congrats Dave.

Tom

Comment

Awesome!

That track looks very smooth.

Comment

It is a great track to drive. Check out the BMW club, SCDA, or Trackmasters (amongst others) if you want to try it. You just need a well prepped street car and an approved helmet, all these clubs have excellent instructors, put on very well run events, and welcome beginners. BTW, my avatar pic was taken there.

Thanks for posting the video!

-Ed

Comment

Pix from the demo I did before this lap of the Glen last weekend at the International Motor Racing Research Center in Watkins Glen.

This guy in the black junker parked a bit close to my beloved "Box"!!!!!!! LOL!!!!!!!

The Whelen car did some hot laps during the event too.

Comment

This guy in the black junker parked a bit close to my beloved "Box"!!!!!!! LOL!!!!!!!
                        Whoa, is that a Scion xB?!? Can somebody please move that dune buggy out of the way so I can see it?

Comment

Very cool ride: I don't know why, but I suspect you were having fun there... Maybe I could give you a piggy ride on my motorbike during a track day... I'm sure you'd find it interesting...

BTW, great pics, as usual, Dave!

Cheers and thanx for sharing!

Comment

If your dream car is a Vette... Nope.

But I would prefer lapping in a MINI Cooper S JCW Grand Prix

Ok... I know, I know... I'm laughing in a slightly giddy (maybe more than slightly) and embarrassing manner. Trust me, if anyone was in my position during this video they'd be doing the SAME thing. I had the extremely good fortune to have a member of the Corvette Club from Rochester to offer me a shot gun seat in his C6 Corvette as he did 3 laps at the Glen today. The first lap we did (that you will see in this video) was "only" about 90 mph on a straight. But the second and third laps were over 100 mph. Which might not sound like a lot for a race track but HOLY CRAP it was amazing! I've done over 150mph on a straight on the Autobahn in a Porsche 911 but THIS was fantastic, over 100 on the uphill turn at the Glen was... well... a real "holy crap" moment!

[youtube]KqAwGgCABzQ[/youtube]

We did 3 laps and this was the first, and slowest, of the laps I had the good fortune to do in a dream Vette. Wow, a yellow Vette at the Glen, does it get better than that?

Comment

Any day you get to take a lap at a track like Watkins Glen is a great day. Throw in a C6, and wow!

Very jealous, Dave!

Comment

Working...
                              X