Help grow the hobby

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help grow the hobby

2FerSlots (Derek) and I are putting together a large slot exhibit next to the car show at Seward’s annual July 4th celebration, when 30k-40k people come to town. Our goals are to expose many people to this family-friendly hobby, and see if there’s enough interest to start a local club. We’ll offer free driving throughout the day, and a race competition just before the afternoon parade. Derek is routing an analog oval track, and I am building a road course with Carrera Digital 132.

We have some partners on board, including Carrera of America, our local Chrysler dealership, and others. (Stay tuned for more announcements.) The exhibit will be advertised on the celebration website (www.julyfourthseward.com), in the local paper and on all the posters and schedules around town. The chamber of commerce is really excited to add this new event this year!

Now I’m reaching out to our SCI mates who might be able to help put us over the top. I’ve been picking up supplies through sales and swaps, and only need a few more pieces to finish the 5x16-foot digital track. If anyone has pieces you can donate or swap to help us out, we’d greatly appreciate it.

The pieces of Carrera track I need are:
    6 full straights - donated by Ponderwilu - Thanks!!
    2 1/3 straights - donated by Ponderwilu - Thanks!!
    1 piece of 1/30 curve outside shoulder
    2 pieces of 1/60 curve outside shoulder
    2 pieces of 1/4 straight shoulder
    30 or so old-style track clips (the U-shaped ones for 4-tab track pieces)

I have a number of 1/60 flat curves I could trade, if you’re interested.

Post something here or shoot me a PM if you can help with this. We’re trying to reach out and grow the hobby – which helps us all.

If you’re in the region, make plans to come to Seward for a huge freedom festival and a fun time with slot racing. We love to meet more of our slot friends!

Thanks for supporting our outreach efforts.

Phil & Derek
    Last edited by DrumPhil; 04-05-2011, 09:50 AM. Reason: Updated information

Wow! Good for you two! I'm afraid I can't be of any help other than to wish you well and hope you make some new racing buddies.

Comment

Perfect timing my friend!I just finished laying track for "Project Talladega" and it just so happens I've got enough left over track to send you the 6 straight and 2 1/3's. No spare shoulders or clips though. PM me with your address and they'll be on their way! Least I can do for all the help and support this forum has been to me...saved me alot of time & moola'.

Comment

A good friend of mine and I are planning next year to build a modular race course that can be dis-assembled and moved about. Then we plan to visit racing venues like Sebring during the Legends of Motorsport weekend and have a display where people can get an opportunity to control a slot car. We might also contact the organisers of the local county fairs and other events where models are featured.

Comment

@Ponderwilu (Mike) - Thanks again for the timely donation!

Bob - That's cool. What track system are you planning to use, or will it be wood?

Comment

We will probably either use Scaley sport or Ninco track.

Comment

Originally posted by Modlerbob View Post
              A good friend of mine and I are planning next year to build a modular race course that can be dis-assembled and moved about. Then we plan to visit racing venues like Sebring during the Legends of Motorsport weekend and have a display where people can get an opportunity to control a slot car. We might also contact the organisers of the local county fairs and other events where models are featured.
              This is HOT, Bob. The first slot car I ever saw was at a car show at the local fair grounds!

1/24th scale drags and Gene Husting's little car went like a gun shot! TIRE SMOKE!

Comment

Mike (Ponderwilu) has stepped up beautifully to provide the straights we need. Can anyone help with any of the few border pieces? I have about four more digital bits to buy, but have already spent quite a bit on this exhibit. A few donated border pieces would help keep our cost down to get this finished. Or I still have some spare R1/60 curves I'd be willing to trade.

Anyone feeling generous, to help grow the hobby?
                Thanks for your consideration, and THANKS TO MIKE for your donation!

Comment

BIG THANK YOU to Mike (Ponderwilu) for donating to our demo/exhibit track the package pictured below. What a swell guy!

I've cleared out space and set up tables in a spare room at work; this week I'll set up a test version of the exhibit track. Still lacking some borders and accessories, but will be good to try the layout. Pix will follow as we make progress.

Thanks for your community support for this outreach effort.
                  Phil

Comment

some how I missed this
                    pm what you still need and I will hook you up
                    send out monday

Comment

Test track progress

For those interested, I've started a gallery to document progress on the digital track for our 4th of July slot celebration. One photo shows the dealership location, which is right on the street with the car show. The covered area is about 30 feet by 24 feet, which should provide enough room for the two tracks Derek and I are building.

http://www.slotcarillustrated.com/po...p?albumid=1262

Comment

Lookin' good Phil

Comment

Originally posted by DrumPhil View Post
                          BIG THANK YOU to Mike (Ponderwilu) for donating to our demo/exhibit track the package pictured below. What a swell guy!

I've cleared out space and set up tables in a spare room at work; this week I'll set up a test version of the exhibit track. Still lacking some borders and accessories, but will be good to try the layout. Pix will follow as we make progress.

Thanks for your community support for this outreach effort.
                          Phil
                          What a great hobby we have! Glad to have helped you out. I finally got my Project Talladega up and running. I'll be watching your progress too. Mike
                          http://s669.photobucket.com/albums/v...mpleted043.mp4

Comment

Blessings in the mail

A lovely care package showed up today from SCRJON. Some will go on the Carrera track and some on the routed oval Derek is building. It all helps improve the exhibit, and we say a big THANK YOU!

What a great community we have at SCI!

Comment

Great idea, good luck to you. This is what we need to "grow" (or at least assure a future for) our tiny hobby. Give the kids a taste, and they will come back. Its too challenging and fun to walk away from

Comment

Working...
                              X