"Wins"/Bucket List

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Wins"/Bucket List

A while back I was with a group of folks and they were talking about all of the things they "had" to do or wanted to do on their "bucket list", and it occurred to me...I am already "there", I am set.

In the "stuff" column, I have a bulletproof four lane slot track with all the bells and whistles I want.

A Sports Car, a Classic car, a total of 48 cylinders here and there in the yard.

Am an active part of a Championship winning racing team and do everything from design and aerodynamics to going over the wall to fix crash damage.

Along the way have or have re-aquired all of my important stuff from childhood-- a tether car, nine schwinn style or muscle style bicycles, and on and on. Everything.

Have traveled extensively, have the kids education handled (and one in college).

Also have, let's say, my "self help" projects down to a dull roar, although I aspire to grow daily.

And in the friends dept am thankful for several lifelong friends that are always there, and for whom I also can be there. Have a wonderful wife who enjoys the racing and slot cars.

Am a long ways from wealthy, but although I have spent many years "worried", am not now.

And I am very thankful for the friends on SCI. There are too many to name, but a few that I can think of are Derby, Woodcote, and JLM in the sanctioning body area, Model Murdering, fabricator supreme, Slotking in the "racer" dept, and Mayberryman, NASCAR fan/critic. If I did not name you, forgive me, I cherish each of you, and you know who you are.

If you like, feel free to share your "wins" in life, as well as your remaining goals, assuming you have them.

As for me, am just trying to stay "on The Path" and hopefully be there to help others do the same. Life is not just good, life is great.
    Last edited by Slotbob; 04-02-2017, 05:47 PM.

Contentment is a wonderful thing

Comment

I think I might be set too...

The aspiration to grow daily is a fine one to have. I'd like to think I manage some personal growth on an annual basis, with a few peaks and troughs along the way

Approaching fifty - and maybe early retirement - I am pretty content. I've been lucky enough to experience and achieve more than I probably thought I would when I was young, only very different things to what I'd expected. Wealth, high-powered career and fast cars have not featured. Nor have children.

As a youngster I was massively into slot cars and hoped that I might get involved in 'real' motorsport in some way. That hasn't happened, but plenty else has. It's very cool that I have got back into slot cars in a big way, run an HO slot car racing club and have 101 different projects on the go - including a regular column in a paper-and-ink slot car magazine (called Slot Car Magazine).

I guess the difference between when I was racing slot cars forty years ago and racing slot cars today is that I understand why 'playing' and having a serious hobby is important for good mental health. One job I did for a long time was using play and creative arts with children who had serious psychological problems.

Along the way, I've realised that 'stuff' is cool, but ultimately not that important. Friendships are priceless, as is family - although both can be a pain in the backside sometimes. I'd place health up there too. Having suffered poor health in my 30s and 40s, I am very aware of that. I'm lucky that I've had a supportive and loving partner (aka Mrs Woodcote) to help me through difficult times over the past 20 years.

I have failed to come up with a definitive 'win list' as there are just so many things... None of them are particularly sensational or big enough to brag about, but they all bring back fond memories, warm feelings and remembering the people involved - for me, that's a win. Plenty of those memories involve overseas travel, living and working in London (the greatest city on earth) or living by the ocean, as I do now.

If I have a bucket list today, it's not full of things I have to do - just things I'd really like to do, if the opportunity arises. But I've also left plenty of blank spaces on that list to grasp unexpected opportunities as they come up. Life is certainly full of surprises - both good and bad - I hope I have gained some wisdom over the years to be able to grasp what crops up and get the most out of this wonderful life

Comment

"Approaching fifty - and maybe early retirement - I am pretty content."--Woodcote

Congratulations all the way around, sir!

" I hope I have gained some wisdom over the years to be able to grasp what crops up and get the most out of this wonderful life." --WoodII

Wisdom is hard-won indeed. I would suggest that you inspire others, a happy sidebar!

Comment

Many my age are trying to get in the "bucket list" before the big sleep. My list is just keep doing the same I been doing all along.
          I've been lucky no doubt.

Comment

I have "Bucket List" items, like go to LeMans, drive my '69 Camaro on a road course/autocross. And maybe someday these will happen, I just turned 60 so those someday's are getting fewer. We just went on our first cruise and that was a bucket list item.

I've always said to my wife I don't want to be the old guy in the nursing home telling story's about how nice my house and or yard was. I take care of things but not constantly doing house projects like some. I want to talk about memory's of slot car racing, motorcycling, kart racing, building my Camaro and great places I've been too.

As I've gotten older I too have come to the realization that family and friends are more impotent then stuff. But I'am finding it hard to let go of things I've had for a long time as we try to downsize some what.

Comment

A friend of mine just bought a brand new Camaro - 50th Anniversary Edition. I don't think he knew it was on his bucket list until they brought it out.

Nice car, by the way.

Comment

I guess I'm pretty close to fulfilling mine too. The one shortfall is a goal I set many years ago to visit all 50 states at least once. 46 down, 4 to go, with Hawaii being the top of the list.
                If there is any others it would be to win a slot car race........maybe I'll race the G-kids sometime.

Comment

KProX,

Have you checked to see if there is a local (or closest) road course that you can wheel the Camaro around?

Not LeMans, but better than just wishing for Lemans maybe.

Part of my path has been to become satisfied with many things. However, that is different than settling.

For instance, I have been to many Daytona 24 hour races, and early on dreamed of driving, later, of pitting the event. It never happened, and really, was never a big "thing", just a passing thought.

But, have just been invited back to assist a privateer at Daytona for an upcoming event. A Lamborghini this time. And although I met the brother of the owner intentionally regarding short track racing, I was not angling for this opportunity, it came to me.

Bonus!

ps--For many, just owning a '69 Camaro would be a bucket list item! I had a '67 back in the day that I painted '72 Bronze with correct black Z/28 stripes (in laquer).
                  Last edited by Slotbob; 04-20-2017, 07:50 AM.

Comment

Dwight:

As you know, Hawaii is comprised of several islands. I have been to three of them. If you can make it, here are my suggestions, in order of enjoyment:

1) The "Big Island". It has the only active volcanos. See Volcano Park. The Volcano is down in a hole, but is very cool at night. Take a tripod, do about a 10 second time exposure. Check other lava activity. They have no real mountain-type volcanos, only fissures in the earth, so the lava "leaks" out. If it is rolling into the sea I would take a boat ride, if there are simply "hot spots", take a chopper ride. Also, there is a very nice resort on the north side, the "Hilton Waikoloa Village", that is deluxe and not overly pricey.

2) The island of Kauai, where they have "The Grand Canyon of Hawaii", Waimea Canyon. Very cool, and actually similar to the Grand Canyon in Arizona in topography, but covered in lush undergrowth. I did Kauai as a day trip, and feel that I covered it.

3) Honolulu and Waikiki Beach. Expensive and glitzy. Also has a high unemployment rate and everything that goes with that. Although not bad, I will not return as scenery is my thing.

I hope you get to go soon!
                    Last edited by Slotbob; 04-20-2017, 06:58 AM.

Comment

Waimea Canyon
                      Last edited by Slotbob; 04-20-2017, 08:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Slotbob View Post
                        KProX,

Have you checked to see if there is a local (or closest) road course that you can wheel the Camaro around?

Not LeMans, but better than just wishing for Lemans maybe.

Part of my path has been to become satisfied with many things. However, that is different than settling.

For instance, I have been to many Daytona 24 hour races, and early on dreamed of driving, later, of pitting the event. It never happened, and really, was never a big "thing", just a passing thought.

But, have just been invited back to assist a privateer at Daytona for an upcoming event. A Lamborghini this time. And although I met the brother of the owner intentionally regarding short track racing, I was not angling for this opportunity, it came to me.

Bonus!

ps--For many, just owning a '69 Camaro would be a bucket list item! I had a '67 back in the day that I painted '72 Bronze with correct black Z/28 stripes (in laquer).
                        Thanks Bob, I owned a really beat up '67 Camaro before the '69, sold it to buy the '69. This was all back in 1986. One of the bucket list items was to enter car shows with it, well 30years later last summer I took it to my first car show ever as a participant, and no the car is not done (Needs paint) but it's running and driving really good now so screw it I'm going to car shows!

I live in MN so Brainerd International raceway is 2 hours away from me and there is at least one opportunity a year to track day there. So it may happen, hate to think of the gas cost to go there and back. Going to a Autocrossing event may be more realistic and closer.

"Part of my path has been to become satisfied with many things. However, that is different than settling." Excellent, pretty much my thinking also. Congrats on the getting to crew at Daytona.
                        Last edited by KJProX; 04-20-2017, 09:03 AM.

Comment

People routinely ask me how I afford the gasoline, since my daily drivers are and always have been 15-20 mpg machines.

My response--All of the money goes somewhere. What I am driving is a big part of my life and I am happy to pay for the privilege to drive it.

Remember, one day cars like your Camaro will be exclusively museum pieces.

Hope you get to go.

Another tale: Drove my Cutlass around the Daytona tri-oval at about 60 mph as part of the Olds Club parade (back when they would let you do that sort of thing). I had let my daughter steer the tractor around the yard and she was pretty sharp, so just before the start/finish line I let her unbuckle her belt and clamber onto my lap.

She took the wheel (my hands were off, but close) and crossed the start finish line, and then headed back to the passenger seat to re-buckle up.

She was five. Good times.

ps--Memory shows up a little at a time. My car was in fact a '68.
                          Last edited by Slotbob; 04-20-2017, 10:55 AM.

Comment

Great story about your daughter and the Cutlas.

Current pic of the Camaro.

Comment

Bonus!

Another big weekend for 'Ol Bob.

Crewed for a Lambo that finished second only to the Tommy Riggen prepped Falcon at a SCCA event at Daytona on Saturday & Sunday. It never missed a beat.

Also crewed for a Stock Car team on Saturday night. A different deal altogether. Added spring rubbers, rebuilt the distributor, changed tires and stagger, and probably a bunch of other stuff I cannot remember.

And then there was the discussion/near altercation between our driver and another guy that was all confused.

End result? A big win, baby.

Am dog tired, but dog happy.
                              Last edited by Slotbob; 05-07-2017, 01:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X