Wheel set up blocks please explain

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel set up blocks please explain

Can someone explain how wheel set up blocks work. I just bought a 1/32 precision jig so I can do a better job on my chassis making. Kind of a dumb question I admit but I am open to guidance from those who know. I have a rear wheel set of blocks with marking of 720-740-790-810. I assume this is in mm and is the clearance between the axle and the jig. Not sure how that relates to my potential wheel size and tire size though. Thanks for any input.

I would assume that the blocks are marked for the decimal tire size that you want to use. IE 720 is for a 0.720" dia tire. This sets the height of the axle in the chassis for the final tire size. You would set the block so the desired number is on the bottom against the block. I found a youtube video that may help explain, even though it is for a 1/24th chassis build.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nUrAHVAVC8

Jim

Comment

Thanks Jim, very helpfull

Comment

Originally posted by DB9 View Post
        Can someone explain how wheel set up blocks work. I just bought a 1/32 precision jig so I can do a better job on my chassis making. Kind of a dumb question I admit but I am open to guidance from those who know. I have a rear wheel set of blocks with marking of 720-740-790-810. I assume this is in mm and is the clearance between the axle and the jig. Not sure how that relates to my potential wheel size and tire size though. Thanks for any input.

The other thing to note is that there is an assumed clearance (between underside of chassis and track surface) that is built in to those numbers on the blocks. This clearance is often 1/16" (.0625") for 1/32 scale blocks using inch units, but you shouldn't assume this. As an example, if you use the 0.720" side of the blocks, and install 0.720" diameter wheels on the finished chassis, you will have this amount of clearance (1/16" or whatever). So you need to know this built-in clearance for the blocks you purchased - the supplier of the blocks should state this.

Comment

Thanks for clarifying.

Comment

Working...
          X