Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Because you can't print white ink on clear decal paper unless you have an ancient and discontinued Alps dye-sub printer.

So if you want to print white roundels for numbers, print the background colour on white decal paper, then it is easier to cut out and place on car. For example I put this decal on a green car. Since the outside edge of the roundel is the same colour, you don't have to cut out a perfect circle. Hope this makes sense.

Comment

How long did it take to do the colour match. It's a great idea and from the picture it worked out well.

Tim

Comment

Hi Tim, miss racing you and the gang at Raceworld. Back to the topic .... I use photoshop for making decals, it has a pretty much infinite choice of colours in the palette. I just eyeballed the green background colour. Then I design up the decal. Then I layout a bunch of the decals in a small space [to save precious decal paper] and print out on a normal sheet of paper. I use this as a template and backer. Next cut out a small piece of decal paper, like size of one roundel, tape it by the edges [using masking tape or removable scotch tape] to the sample printout in an area that has all relevant colours. Now print out by running the template back through the printer, oriented the same way as the first time it was printed. Now you have a "test strip" or colour test decal, without using a whole lot of decal paper. If the colour is too dark, or off in some way, you can still adjust it before printing out a large sheet of decals. If I'm satisfied with the sample, I then cut out a piece of decal paper the size required, tape it back on the template and print.

Comment

Great idea r.e. the test strip, Eric - especially for saving paper! You guys are right about the clear paper: it's fine for black on a light coloured car.

I used clear paper on the roof to do the driver name as well as the black headlight lens surrounds. I had to cut a tiny white rectangle of paper to make a background for the Canadian flag or else you wouldn't see it.

Van

Comment

Printer issue . . .

Excellent thread . . .

van answered another thread/post and provided link to this "do it yourself" decal thread.

Can make decals, using my HP Inkjet however, produced ho-hum results. Can design the decals, import, whatever, but . . .

Issue is, the Inkjet just doesn't "apply" enough color to make a solid lifelike decal. Getting a Laser just for decals just doesn't "sound" right for me, since would be used for little else.

Even bought new cartridges for the HP, still cannot get it to lay down a real solid color.

The "how-to" in this thread is very well done. Moreover, follow-up posts are good adds as well . . .

Cheers,
            Jas

Comment

Believe it or not, I've had great results with a cheap $50 lexmark inkjet printer. It seems to have a better color range. It's pretty much expendable as the new ink cost almost as much as a new printer! You can often find them on clearance at the major retailers for less than the cost of a round of new ink cartridges. If you get a chance to pick one up cheap, give it a try. I like them better than my Cannon or HP's I've had.

Comment

I am nursing one of the the Alps laser printers. Gold and silver foil can be printed as well as metallics and white. Ink cartridges are getting scarce and service is nonexistent. I use it mostly for 1/8 and 1/12 scale decals but I would offer it as a service to this group for a restoration of a vintage car or a personal piece. Each sheet is custom made and ordered with your choice of sponsors. I have access to 200 fonts so I can duplicate anything done in the past. I don't want to cut into any existing decal business, just fill in the gaps where nothing exists at the moment.
                Reference material is the key to an accurate restoration so the process will be expedited greatly by doing your homework in advance.
                Last edited by rixvette; 10-12-2008, 06:14 AM.

Comment

I've been working on my latest repaint's decals.

FYI - Do not use Rustoleum's gloss clear lacquer to seal or fix your decal sheet. My two light coats produced decals that were too think and would not lay flat. They felt like window clings. I'm sticking with Testors.

Comment

Great tips!!! I am now thinking of painting up some of my own bodies now. I used to make model airplanes when I was a we lad and have had much experience with airbrushing back from my pre-computer aided design days. I like what vanski did with the planning stages in photoshop. I have a Canon inkjet printer so I might give it a go.

Has anyone tried this range of products? www.pulsarprofx.com.

Thanks for the tips.

Comment

A great thread, Dr. V's work inspired me to do the decals for the Pink Pearl. A bit of experience with Photoshop helps a lot, the newer versions have much improved filters and allowed me to create the flowing shapes without too much problem.

Tamiya pink, clear decal paper, Future dunked. Completed decal sheets sprayed with Krylon Crystal Clear. Cutlines are also decals, dark warm gray. Micro Sol/Set used to soften the decals, which were output from an inkjet printer. Fonts by House Industries.
                      Last edited by Pinto_Girl; 01-09-2011, 12:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pinto_Girl View Post
                        A great thread, Dr. V's work inspired me to do the decals for the Pink Pearl. A bit of experience with Photoshop helps a lot, the newer versions have much improved filters and allowed me to create the flowing shapes without too much problem.

Tamiya pink, clear decal paper, Future dunked. Completed decal sheets sprayed with Krylon Crystal Clear. Cutlines are also decals, dark warm gray. Micro Sol/Set used to soften the decals, which were output from an inkjet printer. Fonts by House Industries.
                        WOW! really nice work Pinto Girl, very detailed, I really like the flow of the shapes... I am a Graphic Designer by trade (20+ yrs.) so Illustator/Photoshop will not be a problem. I have about 20gigs of fonts (including the full House Ind. library... the best vintage type house!) and have had some time at 3D skinning for racing sims in the past so I have amassed a great library of logos and such. The real challange for me will be painting and decaling as it has been about 30 yrs. since my last model kit build.

What is, in your opinion, the best clear/white paper for inkjets. I have a Matte Black Nissan from slotit I want to experiment with which I know might be a challenge for anything white. Also, do you print in CMYK or RGB?

Cheers,

Elliot

Comment

I use the Bel paper with good success. I use RGB but I'd suggest using whichever colour space you're comfortable with and gets you consistent results. Love that Audi Natalie. It's funny to see a thread I authored years ago come back to life every once in a while. I am glad you guys and gals find my tips useful.
                          Last edited by dr vanski; 02-28-2011, 06:25 PM. Reason: Overlooked the RGB/CMYK question, sorry.

Comment

love this. thank you

Comment

Zoned: if you can use a lazer printer the results will be better,but make sure you use lazer decal paper,also as you have illustrator that would be better than Photoshop( vector). I use Corel with good results.

Comment

Hi
                                I'm making a Carrera, Stevenson Camaro Grand Am #57. I know the basic's of decals, Ive screened alot in my time as printer, never printed them on a inkjet yet? My ?? problem is how to angle the graphic's from one side to the other. I think that the best way would be to do them as 3 piece's sides & top and line up to meet? Any help would be very appreciated Thanks

Comment

Working...
                                X