Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a tip to add...if you don't want to burn a sheet of decal paper to print out the Tamiya color swatch or your test shots, use photo quality glossy paper.

My printer, Epson NX305, printed exact colors on the photo paper as it did on the decal paper.

Plus, this will give you the glossy look of decal paper that you can't get with standard printer paper.

Comment

Great tip, Bibster. Thanks!

Comment

You're welcome...but thank you more for the how to!

Comment

Here it goes again......to the top. So much GREAT advice in one spot it has to be read by anyone wanting to do "their own thing". Dr V your inspiration alone keeps people in this hobby....thank you!!!

I have one small tidbit of information to add to anyone new to graphic design. Using Dr V's advice on taking pictures of your cars.....which I highly recommend.....if you make, on a piece of masking tape, a small scale such as 0-1/2-1" and stick it to the side/top of car before snapping pics you will instantly be able to size your work by drawing 3 guide lines at what ever your tape scale measurements are then re-sizing photo so they line up perfectly. I use this technique all the way up to 1:1 vehicles. And if you have the knowledge of a good drawing program you can then vector a template to be used for future projects.

Cheers,
          Chris

Comment

Great info. I really need to make some decals. After I order some decal paper...

Scott

Comment

First time inkjet decals

THE CAMARO WAS MY FIRST ATTEMPT , FERRARI 2ND, MASERATTI 3RD & CUDA MY LAST ONE TO DO, I INTIALLY HAD ISSUES BUT TRIAL & ERROR FIGURED THE WAY TO GO THANKS, VAN & OTHERS THAT GAVE ME ADVISE

Comment

Another option

Here is another option for printing white/color decals. I won't mention the company name but you can find it by doing a search for "white toner" (no quotes).

This is the company that makes this toner. It can be used with most OKI printers and some other laser printers..

While it isn't cheap, it is available. I do know that a lot of water slide decal companies use this toner.
                Might be an option for somebody who wants to offer this as a service.

I believe they also supply decal paper.

I know of this company when I was in the dye sublimation business - ask for Al. Just a thought - Al might also be interested in printing decals for you.

Don

Better search result - White Sublimation Laser Toner for Clear Decals
                Last edited by DynoDon; 10-27-2013, 03:10 PM. Reason: Better search result

Comment

Before any one gets too excited,tests indicate that the coverage of this toner is not great, will not cover on dark colours, it also cannot be printed first and then the colours put on after for better coverage.
                  Unfortunately the Alps printers and process is still the best for printing decals.
                  Hopefully some one will come up with a solution to printing good white on decal paper.

Comment

I'm sorry but I disagree with you.

The toner I am referring to can be used on dark colors and color can be printed over it. This is not the toner offered by OKI.

I have printed with this product on shirts and hard substrates - I have not personally printed any decals but have seen the product.

I suggest that those that are interested talk to Al, the owner of the company.

Let me also state that I have affiliation with this company. I just know of if it from a past business and was simply passing along the information.
                    Correction: Meant to say I have NO affiliation with this company.
                    Don
                    Last edited by DynoDon; 10-28-2013, 06:07 AM. Reason: correction

Comment

Don this product was tested and reported about on the Alps Group, we though it may have been a great replacement for our aging Alps. But the results were disappointing on decal paper, I can only go on what was reported there.

Comment

Phil,

I don't know about that or if you are even talking about the same toner, when it was tested, or what process, paper, printer or whatever was used; as there are different ones out there.

I do know that several companies are currently using it for decals.

As I said, I used to be in the dye sublimation business and I did use the toner. I simply got out of the business because I couldn't compete with the online and big box stores.

The decal sample I got worked great and I will be ordering some decals. There are some who may want to make their own and If people wish to know more about it, they can do the search and contact the company - they have an 800 #.

I don't have a horse in this race, so it doesn't make any difference to me. Like I said, I was only passing the info along. People can make their own choice.

Don

Comment

Hobbycal p7 is an inkjet printer paper that will dry to a white background, or can be kept clear if you want, there are others for laserprinters and I think the laser printers have a sharper resolution, 2400 dpi instead of 300 or 600 and will make some great looking fine detail decals.

This is a great thread and the tutorial is great. A few things have changed over time and the details that can be captured are much greater, but there is no substitute for the work that has been put into the tutorial. All of the pre-production work is as valuable today as when it was written seven years ago.

Comment

Wow. Great info

I have been wanting to do custom cars like a princess car for my daughter or an Army Ranger car.
                            Following your method would make it easy to do that.
                            Thanks for the great idea and step-by-step directions.

Comment

Working...
                            X