X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ou701
    started a topic Window and headlight trim - help required

Window and headlight trim - help required

I'm a 1/32 slot racer returning to scratch building slot cars after many years away from the hobby. My favourite period is 50's 60's, 70's sports racing cars, so that's what I'm concentrating on, for now. And, I should add that SCI is a great inspiration for me - some of you have otherworldy modelling skills!

One thing I struggle with is knowing how to produce accurate trim around windows and enclosed headlights, whether matt black, chrome or aluminium, with paint, or pen. It's easier if the slot body has the trim moulded in, but many sports racing cars (for example) don't have any raised trim. Clear bodies are especially challenging, although many resin bodies can be difficult too. IMO cars look unfinished without this detailing, so I would be very grateful for any ideas you guys might have.

Cheers, Ian (Wentworth Falls, NSW, Australia)

• s.o.f.
    replied
    Thank you both!

Leave a comment:

• chrisguyw
    replied
    Originally posted by s.o.f. View Post
    Does anyone know where to buy Molotow pens in the Toronto area? Failing that is there a Canadian online shop? Failing that is there a U.S. online shop?
    Panther Hobbies (427/Dundas) just received (Friday) a large shipment of Molotow Chrome pens in all three sizes.

Cheers
    Chris Walker

Leave a comment:

• Porsche Racer
    replied
    Originally posted by s.o.f. View Post
    Does anyone know where to buy Molotow pens in the Toronto area? Failing that is there a Canadian online shop? Failing that is there a U.S. online shop?
    I buy my Molotow pens from Amazon.ca

Leave a comment:

• s.o.f.
    replied

I agree that Bare Metal Foil looks great on trim such as window edges but there are some parts that I found it nearly impossible to apply such as formula car exhausts. I also found that when you apply it to a large flat surface, such as a rear wing, that it looks blotchy.
    Last edited by s.o.f.; 03-23-2019, 06:42 AM.

Leave a comment:

• RichD
    replied
    The ultimate thing to use for chrome trim is Bare Metal Foil. https://www.bare-metal.com/Using-Bare-Metal-Foil.html

Leave a comment:

• ou701
    replied
    Thank you Porsche Racer.

ian

Leave a comment:

• Porsche Racer
    replied
    For any type of chrome trim look no further than Molotow Chrome Pens. They are fantastic.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X