No announcement yet.

Mulling It Over

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actually, there is a typical order in the "laying out of parts" process. I am, as I have confessed elsewhere, a "wheel nut." My prejudice is that, when planning a model, if you get the wheels/tires right, the battle is half won. If they're not right, nothing else matters and the project is doomed. The impact falls in two areas: Appearance/impression - wheel diameter, wheel type, tire width and ratio of wheel diameter to sidewall dimension are all out there and ae among the first, if not the first thing one sees. Any significant deviation from a scale representation is immediately obvious and, for me, unlike subtleties of paint color (How much blue is there in vintage BRM green?), unarguable*. Secondly, wheel dimensions are locked into chassis design parameters governing ground clearance and center of mass. Thus, on my bench, the process starts with finding, or, in extreme cases, making the right round bits.

EM

*Case in point: At one time, SCX offered several models of 1950's GP cars. They were fitted with rear tires that looked to be, perhaps, a scale 10" wide - simply wrong!

Comment

I totally agree on wheels and tires. They are critical, in that their appearance brings cohesion to the chosen concept; and their quality determines the overall ride and handling of the finished product. H0 scale doesnt offer a particularly great variety, and getting a concentric set of four stylized wheels isnt always guaranteed. I grind, shape, and shave tires with abandon, to get the correct appearance and fit; and take the same, if not more, indecent liberties with rims. As an overview I lump the wheel and tire package and the body's "stance" as single, pre-determined, "appearance aspect"; that either makes or breaks the build.

As an H0 scratch builder, one doesnt have the luxury of a "cribbage board" (jig). This forces one to keep a watchful eye on maintaining your own geometry. In that regard, I always focus the actual mechanical beginning of a build on the mesh point of the rear axle and the armature shaft. Once that central relationship is established, which forms the drive train; the rest of the points work outward from that primary combination.

I always think of Marty Feldman and chuckle when Im building. One eye on this and one eye on that.

Last edited by model murdering; 05-27-2019, 09:22 AM.

Comment

R-Geo has a HO appropriate building jig. I had made my own out of Corrian before I discovered the R-Geo jig. As out Brit members might say, it's a nice piece of kit.

Comment

Working...
        X