Lancia/Ferrari D50 help. .

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lancia/Ferrari D50 help. .

I am working on an old 1/32nd Hawk kit and have made a chassis for it. I have ran into a problem with the end caps of the pontoons. The Hawk kit left them open and all the photo's that I have found have them closed off. This is a crazy inside go around the corner piece that would have to be made. Take a look at the photos. Any suggestions??? I am planning on shunning Ferrari Red and painting it up as the 56 Belgian Gran Prix entrant number 20 that was yellow.

http://s225.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=IMG_0776.jpg
    http://s225.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=IMG_0777.jpg
    http://s225.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=IMG_0772.jpg
    Last edited by mmmoose1; 05-04-2008, 12:19 PM. Reason: Added links to more photos

Hi
    Your guess is correct, the side pods are close off with a concave panel at both ends. The side pods started as actual separate pods that hold the fuel tanks. The thought was to center the mass of the fuel, which changes constantly over the CG of the car. Drivers used to a rear tank and the change had troubles. When lancia sold the cars to Ferrari, they gradually converted the cars to a standard rear tank and faired in the tanks which had been strut mounted.

The yellow 20 car was due to the nationality of the driver being Belgian, and Ferrari was trying to sell road cars there.

Prof.Fate

Comment

Also, the front and rear outside edges of the paniers are radiused to match the tires. They are not straight edged like on the Hawk kit.

Comment

Al I like the 00 wheels. Thanks for the info you two

Comment

Nice car! Please keep us updated on your progress. I have that hawk kit I'd like to build as well one day

Comment

Isn't that shell the later 50a?...the 50 had individual tanks joined to the shell via top and bottom mounted struts.
            Take a look at Mac Pinches shells.

Regards

Alan

Comment

Hi

BJ, I don't know that there has ever been a set of mark letters applied to these to define them. Again, the separate side pods on struts were the original version. When Ferrari was given the cars, initially they races as sold. Then one by one, the pods were blended, and a couple different noses came into play(a longer one for faster tracks and an even shorter). Some of the cars changed from race to race. But fairly early on, the fuel was moved from the pods to the rear, and all got faired in. By 58, they lost the side pods entirely.

If the object is actual scale, the simplist is to pick a photo and do that specifc car rather than thinking there is a unified field theory on these cars.

Fate

Comment

Originally posted by ProfFate View Post
                Hi
                By 58, they lost the side pods entirely.
                There were some races in 1957 and perhaps even in 1956 where the D50 was raced without sidepods.

For 1958, Ferrari had a new car that was no longer a D50 derivative. Dino 246 was its official designation, driven to the 1958 World Drivers' Championship by Mike Hawthorn.

I have Hawthorn's books at home so I can quote the actual description if necessary, just in case my buddy Fate wants to argue the point!

In the first Hawthorn book is a photo of two D50s piled on top of one another against the Armco at teh turn leading into the tunnel at Monaco - Pete Collins' car and Hawthorn's car on top of his - two Ferraris out of the same race at the same turn, pone has faired-in pods, one has no pods.

Dennis

Comment

According to Dennis Jenkinson, the Lancias were a dark red, rather than the brighter Ferrari red. I forgot where I read that. An old British magazine, no doubt.

Comment

With all the Maserati's, Ferrari's, Vanwall's, Brm's. Cooper's I need a break from Red and Green. So the Yellow livery will work just fine. Here is a link to the Brumm model that I am using as a guide, it was a one race only car. It seems there are quite a few Yellow Ferrari's over the years in the Belgian Gran Prix http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...en-US%26sa%3DN Go to page two to find it. This is a nice group of photos that I use for referance at times.
                    Now will you guys stop bickering and give me some ideas on how to make the pieces to cover the open ends.
                    I do know that I should have cut the holes for the exhaust before I put the sides together.

Comment

Hi

Dennis, my books can beat up your books!

Fate

Comment

I did a Hawk D50 some time back and closed off the side pods and inserted some plastic material to create a lip so that I could add filler and then radiused the ends of the pods. I wound up using an EJ's reproduction Monogram chassis that with very little modification fit very good thanks to the side pods.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Jay

www.grandprixslotcars.com

Comment

Thanks for the Photos Jhardy. Here is a picture of the chassis I built for mine.

Comment

Like what Jay said. You could carve some balsa as a backing and begin filling in from there. Styrofoam might also work depending on what you use as a filler.

Comment

1956 Lancia-Ferrari D-50

Mmmoose1, Nice project. Good work.

At my age my introduction to road racing occurred during the 1950's, so that decade's F-1 cars and races hold a certain attraction. Here's my 1/24th version of the 1956 Lancia Ferrari D-50's using a Resilient Resin body. I race it in Pelican park's "Monza," pre-1960's F-1, Indy, Grand Prix racers class. My version is modeled after one of the 6 cars Ferrari brought to Monza for the July, 1956, European Grand Prix-hence the body's Ferrari red color with the Prancing Horse logo.

At the end of the 1955 season Lancia almost bankrupt was purchased by Fiat, and Lancia Formula 1 project was sold off to Ferrari. The V8 powered Lancia car was successfully modified with Juan Manuel Fangio driving the 'Ferrari' D50 to the 1956 World Championship.

(car in background is a Resilient Resin bodied 1957 Maserati 250F)

(Pelican Park members "Monza" class cars)

My Mercedes 1954 W-196 Stromline, '56 D-50, '54 Mercedes W-196, and '57 Maserati 250F

Comment

Working...
                              X